General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

I'm done with Diesel Power Mag

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirlchasr919
Alright so I think this is a fairly hot issue here, not to add more coal to the fire, but..........
What do you guys think will be the field for the big challenge they have comming? I guess the contestants will be unvailed in the next issue. I'd imagine that you wouldn't even be considered for the challenge without your name on a receipt from banks.
You forgot the Ford part, you have to own or had owned one.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Duallydog
I thought the "Tug of War" section was funny with the Powderstroke coming in last with engine power and getting a load to speed with 4.30s while the Dodge was running 3.73s. The horse power was supposed to be equal on the dyno, no, and there is only supposed to be 40ft/lbs differense, it was over double that diffence in torque. I love it.
Ya I saw that too. if you want to compare put the same gears and same size tires on it that chevy had 2" smaller tires and the fords were 1" smaller with 4.30s ? apples and apples
Old 06-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Chapter President

I take it no one has got the newest issue?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:58 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I'M DONE WITH THE MAGAZINE
Old 06-15-2006, 07:31 AM

It's not out yet.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:50 AM

If you want a good off road mag. Patterson's 4Wheel and off-road is the best. No BS articles, no brand loyalty. They rip the 6.0 and Ford a new one in the latest issue. I've always enjoyed it. It and car and driver are the only mags I will read. Motor trend isn't THAT bad.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:50 PM

My two cents on the issue.

The publication is new. There are truly only 6 diesel vehicles sold in America that are not heavy haulers (Dodge, Chevy and Ford Trucks. VW, Jeep and Mercedes Cars). Not a whole lot of material to choose from. Until the base has dictated through feedback (preferred method) or by not buying the mag, it is going to be difficult for them (or him, Kennedy) to get a direction and a consistency to the magazine. Most other mags that you are comparing this one too have been around for years.

I know what I would like to see. I would like to see more creativity with repowers. I would like to see a section looking at heavy trucks...true big rigs so I can learn about other engines from Cat, Detriot, Mercedes, etc. I would like to see a tech section that would start to build a base about transmissions, their capabilities and compatibilities. There are lots of things to see, but it is up to us to direct what we want, not sit back and critisize without providing that feedback.

Advertising. Look at the true diesel hotrod folks out there. Some are specific and only deal with intake (fuel and air), exhaust or transmission. There aren't a whole lot. There aren't tons Boyd Coddingtons running around the diesel world. Banks is the mot popular, well known and seems to be the most successfull which of course gives them the most capital to invest in advertising.

I will continue to subscribe, and provide my feedback directly to them so that we can tailor a great product. I have a true affinity for diesel power and cannot get enough info. I subscribe to TDR as well as lurk the other Diesel Forums and this (Diesel Power Mag) is another source of info...right now in small amounts but I am optimistic that there will be more in the future.

Ryan Meskimen
Old 06-16-2006, 04:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rlmeskimen
My two cents on the issue.

The publication is new. There are truly only 6 diesel vehicles sold in America that are not heavy haulers (Dodge, Chevy and Ford Trucks. VW, Jeep and Mercedes Cars). Not a whole lot of material to choose from. Until the base has dictated through feedback (preferred method) or by not buying the mag, it is going to be difficult for them (or him, Kennedy) to get a direction and a consistency to the magazine. Most other mags that you are comparing this one too have been around for years.

I know what I would like to see. I would like to see more creativity with repowers. I would like to see a section looking at heavy trucks...true big rigs so I can learn about other engines from Cat, Detriot, Mercedes, etc. I would like to see a tech section that would start to build a base about transmissions, their capabilities and compatibilities. There are lots of things to see, but it is up to us to direct what we want, not sit back and critisize without providing that feedback.

Advertising. Look at the true diesel hotrod folks out there. Some are specific and only deal with intake (fuel and air), exhaust or transmission. There aren't a whole lot. There aren't tons Boyd Coddingtons running around the diesel world. Banks is the mot popular, well known and seems to be the most successfull which of course gives them the most capital to invest in advertising.

I will continue to subscribe, and provide my feedback directly to them so that we can tailor a great product. I have a true affinity for diesel power and cannot get enough info. I subscribe to TDR as well as lurk the other Diesel Forums and this (Diesel Power Mag) is another source of info...right now in small amounts but I am optimistic that there will be more in the future.

Ryan Meskimen
Very well put. I read the magazine not learn about the cummins, but to learn about the other trucks. Yes it might be biased and yes it has a lot of advertisements, but you gotta do what you gotta do to pay the bills and since this is a new magazine, it has a lot of bills to pay. If you read the front of the magazine you'll see that they are hiring more staff because they are growing so fast. So maybe in the next few months they'll start getting better.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:37 AM

Maybe we can get someone on the inside to voice our opinions. haha

Maybe someone to do articles for the mag. it says in the latest issue, everyone interested should at least contact him because he never thought he would be wehre he is today.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Chapter President

I got it Tuesday.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Wanna be heard?
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/0000_dieselpower/
Old 07-02-2006, 02:08 AM

Talking

i read that mag,first,im a vw guy,then im a diesel guy(and i drive a vw diesel)
i work on them ALL at work,ol 2 strokers to common rail cummins 5.9's
i do like the 60 series,its pretty simple to work on ,and its not over the top with crazy electronic stuff that on some is way overkill,and you can get good power,granted its no cat in the power dept,but they are a ***** to work on and expensive too
yea thats bs no mention of the ol drippers
i love that sound,it sounds like a race diesel,right from the factory,yummy

i toured the DD factory in 99 when i was there for training,i cried,cause they had all the 2 strokes being assembled on one line,this was like september 99 or so

i knew when i read that article a lot of people were gonna be ticked off

yea duramax too,it hasnt been out long enough ,and the stroke is a joke freakinjunkystamped steel rocker arms,and we allknow a v8 has no strength,only the i-6,like cummins
yea im a vw guy,but im not posting this in a powderpuff forum,or a duramax forum either

but im biased to the vw engine,i cant talk about reliability,but on paper its hp/tq sounds good,how about the audi that won at lemans?
i hope it becomes a well rounded magazine,i dont know if it was the same issue,but i did like the article on the perkins diesel avalable in the ol jeeps,that was cool
Old 07-02-2006, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by HappyGA
Maybe we can get someone on the inside to voice our opinions. haha

Maybe someone to do articles for the mag. it says in the latest issue, everyone interested should at least contact him because he never thought he would be wehre he is today.
Well , there was an article saying they want to hire someone . Anybody want to apply ? The only problem is you'd have to move to CA . I have to give them credit . They have improved a lot and are willing to listen seriously to reader comments.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I'm waitin' onna story about my favorite diesel, the over/under double cranked Fairbanks-Morse locomotive diesel
Old 07-02-2006, 10:28 PM

i guess i am not done,cause ilike to get my grubby lil mitts on anything diesel i guess im a masochist,

Quick Reply: I'm done with Diesel Power Mag