General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

I'm done with Diesel Power Mag

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just tired of the magazine in general. Unfortunately, I have a subscription, so I can't just stop buying it. The magazine is 212 pages long and I only found maybe 20 pages worth of stuff I actually want to read. The rest is advertisements (mostly Banks) and fluff. I was really excited when the mag first came out, because it had so much potential. I think it gets worse by each issue and I'm just really not interested in wasting my time reading it anymore.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If no specific order! Why did they number them? Everyone knows you start at ten then work up list to top, or the best. First time I bought the mag. Was excited about it, got some beer sat in my backyard with a cigar to relax ! Ended up tossing the mag on the ground and stompping the hell out of it . After my first six pack I threw over by the trash cans and ****** on it.

Take that!!!!!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by CIN'S DODGE
can anyone tell me what page of the article
page 107
Old 06-09-2006, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty much all car/truck mags suck. DPM is no exception. I threw up in my mouth a little when I read their latest review of the chevy,ford and dodge(megacab) dualies. I was really confused when they bashed the brakes on the 06 dodge. These things have AMAZING brakes IMO.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:42 PM

I bought my first and last one 3 weeks ago after reading that article.

Jim
Old 06-09-2006, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1

Of course, if it doesn't say "IN NO SPECIFIC ORDER", the magazines deserve to all be stolen, fed to goats and subsequently incinerated.
Hey...that's pretty creative, I will have to remember that line!
Old 06-09-2006, 11:15 PM

Almost all of the automotive/truck magaines are driven by their advertising depts. They make their big money off of those full pages spreads, and pay the bills with the smaller ads in the back. Check out almost any of the 'We build a Mega-Death whatever' and there ain't 'we' doing the building but a hi-dollar race shop, and they spend 1/2 of the article telling you how GREAT so-and-so's parts are. That keeps the advertisers happy, and the subscriptions are mainly used to sell ad space, "Look how many subscribers we have..." The subcription income is chump change compared to what advertisers pay. Therefore if their advertisers are pro-Ford, or pro-Chevy, hey, guess which way they're slanted?

One notable exception is Mopar action. To me they're still the best automotive rag, but of course not many diesels there.....

JimmieD
Old 06-09-2006, 11:53 PM

I have said this time and time again when it comes to Diesel Power Magazine: David Kennedy, the editor, is a self-admitted Duramax fan. Since he calls the shots at the magazine, he's definetly going to let his bias towards the Duramax be known. Show your displeasure with him by emailing him at david.kennedy@primedia.com . MODS: If posting his email address is not allowed, let me know via PM and I'll edit it out.

Scott
Old 06-10-2006, 01:29 AM

We don't need a magazine in this day and age. You've sooo much information on the internet you cannot read it all. Why be manipulated by corporate morons. I do not pledge allegiance to any auto manufacturer. I bought the Dodge with the Cummins after critical evaluation based on my knowledge of trucks over the years and info from people and web articles I trust. Write to primedia: not, I'll spend my time heading down stairs for another brew then surf this awesome site some more.

Jeff
Old 06-10-2006, 07:02 AM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

Thank you Buckshot
Old 06-10-2006, 08:41 AM

I agree that the magazine had a lot of potential to become a great "how to" and product review mag, but it has not come close to that. And when every other page is an ad for Banks' stuff, thats no good to me. I still enjoy reading the tech articles in the TDR magazine every couple of months.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Banned

We met the editor at Diesel Power Challenge last month. Its only a one man band right now and he is borrowing the staff from 4 wheeler magazine whenever he can.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:31 PM

That reminds me of Trailer Life magazine....who rarely has anything bad to say about anything (they may be reviewing). You know the type, they're so afraid of ruffling an (potential) advertisers feathers they don't say anything bad. THEY LIKE THEM ALL (or IT'S ALL GOOD) and that's what their reviews would have one believe. IF you know that's the way they are then you're way ahead of the game. But the problem is highlighted should you think you have a non-partial, non-biased review/opinion as in those type of magazines that type of objectivity doesn't exist. And here's another example...I'll stick to the TDR magazine for my diesel info in print form. And I'll be right here for the BEST internet site having to do with CTD/Dodge trucks!!
Thanks for saving me the cost of an issue as I'll pass....
Chuck
Old 06-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Chapter President

I thought the "Tug of War" section was funny with the Powderstroke coming in last with engine power and getting a load to speed with 4.30s while the Dodge was running 3.73s. The horse power was supposed to be equal on the dyno, no, and there is only supposed to be 40ft/lbs differense, it was over double that diffence in torque. I love it.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:34 PM
J&L

sounds like they have the same credibility problem as Truck TREND/ Motor Trend of knowing the facts and pushin' a particular manufactor.

JIM

Quick Reply: I'm done with Diesel Power Mag