General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

I really felt sorry for a Ford owner today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:33 PM
MTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had nothing but problems with mine...one thing after another. The truck was bone stock, well maintained, and worked hard. I did my research and thats why I'm here now
Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by jaaron
Yes. If he has a 6.0 stock or whit a chip either one, he should install head studs.

And from first hand experience,
My cousin had a 05' 6.0. Put headstuds an a programer on it the day he got it. Never had a problem with it as a daily driver or a frequent tow rig.

A customer from the shop i used to work at has a 03' 6.0 Put headstuds on it two years ago hasn't been back to the shop yet except for a leveling kit.

However, the entire back lot of that shop is filled with dodges with either A/C or motor problems and most of them have been in there several times before?

Just the events that i have witnessed.

(For the record i am not bashing dodge or cummins. I love cummins engines but i wouldnt drive a dodge unless it was an 06' or 07' with a 5.9)
I would much rather own a truck known to have problems with the A/C than one known for an engine that will grenade itself stock.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:33 PM
8bm

I didn't start this thread to bad mouth Ford or Navistar, and I'm pretty sure the 6.4L that "wet the bed" that day was not stock. My Dad has a 2005 6.0L Powerstroke, drives it hard and NO PROBLEMS so far. I even have a friend with an early 2003 6.0L Powerstroke and he has had no problems either(close to 230000kms). I have spoken to many owners of the new 6.4L and the only complaint I hear about is milage. Having said that, I still think both the Cummins 5.9L & 6.7L are far superior motors.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
My Brother in law has an 05 6.0 no. So far his engine has been fine but he only has about 30K miles on it. He does have a 100 hp chip (I think Dr. Performance or something like that).

My question is this........to help him out........is there anything he can do to avoid having problems? Should he go ahead and install head studs as a preventative measure?

Maybe get an extended warranty? A friend of mine has under 40k miles on his 6.0 Ford, and he just bought an extended warranty for $3k (ouch!). But it's bumper to bumper for 6 years/100k miles.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 8bm
I didn't start this thread to bad mouth Ford or Navistar, and I'm pretty sure the 6.4L that "wet the bed" that day was not stock. My Dad has a 2005 6.0L Powerstroke, drives it hard and NO PROBLEMS so far. I even have a friend with an early 2003 6.0L Powerstroke and he has had no problems either(close to 230000kms). I have spoken to many owners of the new 6.4L and the only complaint I hear about is milage. Having said that, I still think both the Cummins 5.9L & 6.7L are far superior motors.
I was not trying to badmouth Ford or the Powerstroke in any way either, and yes I'm sure there are quite a few 6.0 Powerstrokes that are still running fine, but the sheer number of failures compared to the other 2 big companies is absolutely ridiculous. That is why most members don't think very highly of the 6.0.

The biggest complaint I have heard about the 6.4 is the radiator. I'm a member on a Powerstroke forum (trying to learn about all of 'em) and they have said they have gone through as many a 4 radiators in the first 30K miles. Ford has supposedly developed a better unit, and they are getting fixed under warranty, so who knows.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:07 PM

Anyone see the PowerstrokeHelp guy on youtube? Dude is ate up. High pitched voice, really into the Powerstrokes. Seems to know how to work on them well enough, but take a look at some of his 7.3 mod videos he has. I think he did some tally up of mods on a 7.3 that got somewhere north of 300 hp, maybe it was a little over 400 I can't remember off the top of my head...but he did say "nothing's going to touch you on the road with that kind of power" LMAO.

7.3 was the last decent motor to go under the hood of a Ford truck, other than Cummins conversions.

Originally Posted by JKM
I don't know about the rest of you guys , but I read this three times and it still doesn't make a lot of sense, I can write stuff that makes more sense, after drinking a whole case or barley pop.
No joke. How hard is it to use punctuation? At least it wasn't as hard to read as one of bullfrog5.9's posts. I skip right over his.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to forgive me on my feelings of the 6.0. After watching my friends grenade in front of me late at night on I-40 in the mountains and having to help get him, family, load of horses, and trailer off the side of the mountain I have a right to complain a little and I didn't even own that piece of junk. We went to bed at 6:00AM in the morning. That was an adventure. I wasn't able to go to that horse show last year and he was worried to death wondering if he was gonna make it cause he didn't have anyone following him. That's reality driving a FORD......
Old 02-04-2009, 02:04 PM
MTC

Im not bad mouthing Ford either, but aft er being left on the side of the road three times(each time hooked to a trailer), Id never buy another one again. Ford actually stepped up and GAVE me a Premium bumper to bumper warranty for all my troubles, but I just couldnt take it anymore.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 AM

if you put head studs and egr delete they are okay pretty fast with a downloader or whatever they run pretty stout stock automatics but i think they look ugly and way to many people have them
Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 AM

At least Rhino 660 gets the point. If you stud these motors and do the EGR delete (all can be done for under $1000) then the 6.0 is actually a good motor and a heck of a platform to build off of if you chose to go for high HP.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With my previous post a few days ago about someone calling BS that it should be covered under warranty, it was 5 months past the warranty and the dealership too bad.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by klx650a2
With my previous post a few days ago about someone calling BS that it should be covered under warranty, it was 5 months past the warranty and the dealership too bad.
I agreed and pointed that out...but to no avail.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaaron
At least Rhino 660 gets the point. If you stud these motors and do the EGR delete (all can be done for under $1000) then the 6.0 is actually a good motor and a heck of a platform to build off of if you chose to go for high HP.
For $150 i can make good power and have great fuel mileage with an engine i can depend on to pull most anything i can legally tow for AT LEAST several hundred thousand miles == ANY 12 valve cummins with governor spring-ve + pump mods or springs-p7100 + fuel plate add a few degrees timing to either package and we are ready to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You want to know the best part I DO NOT HAVE TO PULL THE CAB OFF OF THE FRAME TO DO IT
Old 02-08-2009, 12:14 PM

We have a 04 550 6.0 6spd for a service truck. I work at a landfill, so it gets used pretty good. It hauls 200 gal fuel tank, a miller welder with CAT/Perkins power, and a small crane. All in all the truck itself is put together, replaced clutch at 15k, been in the shop 3 times for ecm updates, 2 sets of injectors and 3 turbos, and the last one they put a fixed vein on, and talk about gutless wonder but what do you expect with that kind of weight. It has 18k on it now and in those 18k its had the guts beat out of it. Ive tried like crazy to blow it up, but it hasen't happend yet. The tech at the dealership said "you're used to a cummins, drive this thing at 3500rpms and you will be fine." So far he's right so Im gonna keep driving it like he says and we will see what happens.