General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

I really felt sorry for a Ford owner today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even stock 6.oh-no's go boom. Personal friend of mine, had a 03 1 ton, bone stock. Towed his 5'er for 1.5 years. Truck only had 62,000 miles. He was going hunting, truck was empty, started pumping out white smoke, he pulls over, and the motor quit. Heads were leaking, an injector tip broke off, bounced around the cylinder awhile and then out the exhaust and into the turbo. Scored cylinders, banged up piston, and turbo wrecked. Engine could not be fixed. $8,500 for a used one or $17,852 for a new one. They traded it on the spot for a 08, 1 ton long bed with the V10. At least that motor will stay together.

So, even a stock 6.0 will cause you grief. Yes they are fast, but just not for very long.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaaron
On a 6.0 modding the truck is not really the problem. The problem is when you mod the truck by putting the high HP tunes on the truck without putting suds in it to hold it all together. It is kinda like building a 1000hp cummins without a girdle, studs, or filling the block. Its just crazy...
That is 100% incorrect. I know of plenty completley stock 6.0 trucks that have had problems. I'm sure modding doesn't help, but it is far from the root problem.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
6.0's are junk even stock. If you tried to hand the keys to a brand new one I would give them back and say " No Thanks " Nice looking and riding but if they won't get you from A to B then what is the use of having one. Had to rescue a friend of mine and I didn't even on that piece of junk.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:21 PM

One of my old work trucks, 04 6.0, 2 engines and 3 head repairs in 140k. Recently traded for a duramax. Truck had no mods of anykind. Injectors and headgaskets just kept crapping out. Drove it to the Chevy dealership with a good stream of water coming out the exhaust.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by klx650a2
Scored cylinders, banged up piston, and turbo wrecked. Engine could not be fixed. $8,500 for a used one or $17,852 for a new one.

Originally Posted by klx650a2
Truck only had 62,000 miles.

BS. That would have all been covered under warranty.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by duratothemax
BS. That would have all been covered under warranty.
Oh? What was the warranty coverage on the engine in the 03 model? I highly doubt it was past 5 years. With the vague timeline layed out, the in service date to the trade in date could have easily spanned 5 years so, why would you claim that is not true? Do you know something that we do not?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:28 PM

Warranty or not, It blew. Quite Literally.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:36 PM

My neighbors 6.0 has been back to the dealer several times in the first 3 years he bought it. He was really mad at Ford's quality.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:59 PM

The 6.0 is a "light" duty industrial engine and they are not that high up on the HP scale. Ford made this motor what it is, junk. If the truck is worked hard from the day it is new, and the weak links are fixed as they break, it wouldn't be to bad of a truck after a while. Its still not a Cummins and it ain't a 7.3 PS, but it still is a decent motor when kept below 200-225HP.
DS79
Old 02-03-2009, 12:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
there is a used dealer by me that has sold many 6.0's with 150-200k on them for cheap, and i just dont understand that. my friends have had nothing but probs. with theirs, i have to say tho they do drive nice and have no turbo lag...but they all have check engine lights on all the time...heads and egr probs all the time.soon as their warrantys are up they will be getting rid of them and getting dodges.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Brother in law has an 05 6.0 no. So far his engine has been fine but he only has about 30K miles on it. He does have a 100 hp chip (I think Dr. Performance or something like that).

My question is this........to help him out........is there anything he can do to avoid having problems? Should he go ahead and install head studs as a preventative measure?

Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
My Brother in law has an 05 6.0 no. So far his engine has been fine but he only has about 30K miles on it. He does have a 100 hp chip (I think Dr. Performance or something like that).

My question is this........to help him out........is there anything he can do to avoid having problems? Should he go ahead and install head studs as a preventative measure?

Yes. If he has a 6.0 stock or whit a chip either one, he should install head studs.

And from first hand experience,
My cousin had a 05' 6.0. Put headstuds an a programer on it the day he got it. Never had a problem with it as a daily driver or a frequent tow rig.

A customer from the shop i used to work at has a 03' 6.0 Put headstuds on it two years ago hasn't been back to the shop yet except for a leveling kit.

However, the entire back lot of that shop is filled with dodges with either A/C or motor problems and most of them have been in there several times before?

Just the events that i have witnessed.

(For the record i am not bashing dodge or cummins. I love cummins engines but i wouldnt drive a dodge unless it was an 06' or 07' with a 5.9)
Old 02-03-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by JKM
I don't know about the rest of you guys , but I read this three times and it still doesn't make a lot of sense, I can write stuff that makes more sense, after drinking a whole case or barley pop.
Now I have diet coke all over my monitor.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD

My friend had 46,000 miles on it when it let go and it was an 05'. He is looking and thinking hard what to do because his warranty is up in December 09'.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by jaaron
Yes. If he has a 6.0 stock or whit a chip either one, he should install head studs.

And from first hand experience,
My cousin had a 05' 6.0. Put headstuds an a programer on it the day he got it. Never had a problem with it as a daily driver or a frequent tow rig.

A customer from the shop i used to work at has a 03' 6.0 Put headstuds on it two years ago hasn't been back to the shop yet except for a leveling kit.

However, the entire back lot of that shop is filled with dodges with either A/C or motor problems and most of them have been in there several times before?

Just the events that i have witnessed.

(For the record i am not bashing dodge or cummins. I love cummins engines but i wouldnt drive a dodge unless it was an 06' or 07' with a 5.9)

Must be a small, small back lot.

Quick Reply: I really felt sorry for a Ford owner today.