General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

I really felt sorry for a Ford owner today.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JKM
case or barley pop.

So is that a whole case of something, or 1 barley pop???
Old 01-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JKM
I don't know about the rest of you guys , but I read this three times and it still doesn't make a lot of sense, I can write stuff that makes more sense, after drinking a whole case or barley pop.
I had to quit after the first two sentences, it was making me dizzy.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Banned

I was looking at ford trucks last week and told the salesman, that the 6.4 was going to be history, of course he new nothing about it. I told him that ford was developing there on diesel. This guy was in his mid 50's and he said it was just a matter of time before ford put a cummins in the f-250, since ford owns cummins, i did not say anything, just got the heck out of there.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:29 PM

With all these late model Fords blowing engines ...you's think I could find a body with no motor for a great price. Then after I got it home I could sneak a 5.9 in it!

Seriously ...where do you look to buy late model Fords with blown engines? Ideas?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by CharGriller
Seriously ...where do you look to buy late model Fords with blown engines? Ideas?
Umm, troll the Interstates?

Shouldn't take long to find a suitable carcass
Old 01-27-2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Umm, troll the Interstates?

Shouldn't take long to find a suitable carcass
That's soooo funny....if you found one ..they'd probably "Give" it to you!
Old 01-27-2009, 04:45 PM

go in and talk to a tech or service writer at international about that 6.0. i did one time when we needed parts for 1 of the trucks and ford couldnt get them for like 2 weeks. He was saying that the trucks that they put that motor into hardly ever come back to the dealer. When they use that motor it only has around 200hp. Ford has the rights to different parts of that motor in order to keep up with the market. So basicaly what ford has done was took a motor and turned it up to its breaking limit because it was the cheapest way to get it done. This is what i was told by the guys at international. I looked into it a little bit and it was true. All there vans and small trucks such as like UPS vans that have that motor, if you read the specs you'll only find like 200hp. I think there is 1 that offers like 225hp or something like that and if you jump to like 250+hp it is a completely different motor i think they then go to a bigger detuned strait 6 motor. I could be off a little bit. I looked into this like a year or two ago. I just found it humorous coming out of international
Old 01-27-2009, 04:58 PM

We used to find them at the auction all the time. A good friend of mine owns a big autobody shop and he goes to them all the time. We found trucks there for real cheap that only have like 15K on them. Alot of them where from deallers and insurance companies that considered it totalled that blew there motors or was stollen and had the interior stripped. So i would go to insurance and dealler auctions you can find some really good deals even i was surprised. But it takes a while it can be hit or miss. The guy that owns the auto body shop for example bought a avalanche loaded to the hill with 10k on it that was a repo. At the time it was 10months old and booked out at like 30k and he picked it up for, i want to say $9,000. That was also when the fuel prices where going up and they where very hard to move sense it only gets like 15mpg down hill on a good day.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:43 PM

Great idea....except it's probably one of those things that you have to have some kind of expensive license to be eligible to bid?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 PM

look around i know the ones we go to most of the time you need a dealers lisence. But there are 3 or 4 around here that you dont and you can still find some great deals. Look it all on google there is prolly 1. Where are you from
Old 01-27-2009, 08:18 PM

I often wonder how ford can market three different engines and call all of them powerstorks?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 PM

We have a "Maxforce" v6 IH motor in a step van at work right now. I think it is just a shortened 6.4L since it has the compound turbos and all the emission stuff hanging on it. That motor is the biggest POS I have ever seen. Two weeks in a row now we have had to tow back to the Dealer for work. The customer has only owned it for about 7-8 months and it has been in our shop, or in the dealer shop at least 3 times a month!!! I personally think it is a dog on HP anda very noisy motor, and then it is the shop all the time, I would have shipped this thing down the road a long time ago. Now if you could eliminate all the EPA crap and chip it, I think it would make a nice motor for swaps, kinda like the 4BT.
DS79
Old 02-01-2009, 03:22 PM

Coming from a guy that hangs around on the ford forums all the time and worked in a truck shop for a while, as far as fords go i dont think they could build a better truck. The motors on the other hand are crap. It is just so d*** hard to make power out of a v8 compared to a i6. The 7.3 motor is an amazing motor dont get me wrong (I have two) but power wise they cant keep up with the newer cummins because of the way the motor fuels. The 6.0 is actually a pretty beastly motor once you put headstuds in. With stock studs it just cant hold up and it is a PITA to work on. And finally the 6.4 is also another one of those motors that has amazing potential but from the factory it sux. And dont get me wrong i love ford trucks and i also love cummins motors (hell of a setup) but the dodge trucks themselves just dont cut it for me. I like the design of the new 06' and newer dodge bodies but from what i have seen on the older models im a little worried of them falling apart after a few years.

Anyways here is a pic of my daily driver just for kicks.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by deerslayer1979
I was talking to a Ford tech the other day, an he told me the 6.0L is not a good motor for tose that use their truck like a minivan. The motors need to be run and run fairly hard to make them last. Kinda like a 6.7 Cummins, they were not built to go get grocerys with. Now saying this I will never buy one! But I think the 6.0 got some bad rep, because a lot a soccer moms and city folk bought them and now are ****** they have issues. I think if the guys that work their trucks were on here they would tell you its not as bad as it sounds.
DS79
I was also talking to a Ford tech at the Ford dealership about the reliability of their 6.0 PSD. He said all the ones that came into the shop were ones that were lifted and/or had tuners on them. He said they're good motors but, in other words, people mess them up by modifying them. For example, he said people think they gain horsepower by adding an intake but in reality the turbo on those things is designed for the stock intake and needs just the right amount of intake pressure that the stock filter provides in order to function properly.

I agreed with him but then rolled my eyes as I left the shop. Maybe a teenage girl would've bought his reasoning.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:23 AM

On a 6.0 modding the truck is not really the problem. The problem is when you mod the truck by putting the high HP tunes on the truck without putting suds in it to hold it all together. It is kinda like building a 1000hp cummins without a girdle, studs, or filling the block. Its just crazy...

Quick Reply: I really felt sorry for a Ford owner today.