Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

I Have Been Violated...Some reading required

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Have Been Violated...Some reading required

Dad wrecked his truck, and got a used one to replace it. Told me to drive it and see if anything needs to be done to it.

I let him drive my truck while I drove his. He hauls scrap iron for spare cash, as he is retired, and just turned 80 last week. He calls me Wednesday and said what have you done to your truck? I am like what do you mean, he said I just hauled a load of scrap and it pulled it with no problem. He said his truck (in my sig) had a hard time pulling a load that was not near that large.

I ask, well how much did it weigh? he says that the scrap alone weighed 10,700#. I am like, "Do What!!!" . he starts laughing.. My dad is not the easiest person on a vehicle. I guess the EZ, BHAF, and 4" exhaust really has improved the performance of it, but that scared the crap out of me when he told me how much. I know my tranny lost some miles on that one, cause he never takes it out of overdrive.

There are some huge hills on the way to the scrap yard also.

Got my truck back Saturday to find a bent 4" tail pipe behind the rear wheel where he had backed into something, no brake lights, front alignment completely shot, as the near new Maxxis Buckshot Mudder on the right front had less than a 1/4" left on the outside from the toe-in being out. It is at the shop now for alignment. He had spilt coke all over the center console, and on the guage bezel. He had managed to get grease, not a black spot but a glob of grease in the floorboard, and smeared it with his foot. He poured coke all down the side of it while he was going down the road, so there is a sticky mess all down the side.

I get there, and just look at him. He is like "what?", I just get in my truck and drive off before saying something I would have regretted later. I take it to the shop and fix the tail pipe, did not know about the brake lights until today. I hope it is just a fuse, prolly in the trailer wiring harness, causing the fuse to blow, as it looked a little mangled. Took it through the touch free carwash just to get the coke off the side, and done a full treatment on the leather interior.

I know he did not mean to do all this, but I think his age is wearing on him. I do not have any other mode of transportation either, and I will never, ever leave it with him again. If I doit will be locked, keys hidden, wheels chained together, and valve cores removed for its own safety.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Banned

HappyGA,

Hehehehe. I don't mean to laugh. But as you are telling the story about all the things gone wrong, I had a mental vision in my mind of that monkey on the commercials that hides in the trunk and comes out and whomps the car theif on the head.

I could see your dad hauling the scrap iron, but decides he's too tired/old to do the hauling, so he get's the auto-pilot (the monkey) and then next vision is the monkey's foot is too the floor with a look on his face like (man this truck moves!) and your dads laughing his a$$ off, and they both share/spill a coke over rough terrain. Then the comercial ends as your dad is handing you the keys and you have the look on your face like (what the hell did you do to my truck), and your dads says, "what?" I'm RITFLMAO. They should make this a commercial of some sort. Just how tough Dodge trucks are.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:18 PM

Jyro

gee thanks, glad someone can find some humor in the situation...

So how are things going in the curbside parking lot you call your lawn?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:21 PM

Maybe its payback for all the stuff of his you may have broke as a kid.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyGA

I know he did not mean to do all this, but I think his age is wearing on him. I do not have any other mode of transportation either, and I will never, ever leave it with him again. If I doit will be locked, keys hidden, wheels chained together, and valve cores removed for its own safety.

My dad always taught me that if you borrow something you should always take it back in better condition than it was when you got it. That being said, if I were in your shoes and it was MY dad then he would certainly understand why I wasn't letting him use my truck again.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Banned

All indications are, that it is finished.

Me being the hypocrit that I am, I now drive my 5 y.o. to the bus stop. But its actually a matter of convenience (for my wife). If I don't wait down there with him, then my wife has to get dressed, and get my 2 y.o. dressed and then even drag the infant down there at ~7:20 in the morning. When I take him, I drive away from the bus stop heading for work ... but its pushing me later and later. I'm getting to work just on time. I prefer to get there a little early.

And, I park in no yards. I pull to the edge of the road. There's another lady who lives in a 8,000 ft^2 house down the road, who drive's a Mercedes, who pulls off into the yard of another person at the intersection. I just can't imagine why. Me in my big ole truck, I do not present a traffic problem for either of the 2 cars that come by. I would love to request she quit pulling off the road, but am going to keep my mouth shut, because her son is the same age as mine (in a different KG class though), and there is the 'other' issue too.

- JyRO
Old 10-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyGA
I know he did not mean to do all this, but I think his age is wearing on him.
Time marches on,,,,,, and one day, this may come as a fond memory you can recall that will bring a little smile to your face. In the mean time,,,, I would be thinking of some kinda excuse for not letting him borrow it again,,,, maybe offering to do the driving for him or something.
The day is gonna come when I know that you and I would gladly pay for the chance that this happens to us and all the money in the world will not make it so. You gotta love em while they're here with us.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:59 PM

I live 2 hours away from him, and guess what, he owns a farm, and I have been volunteered to use two days of my last three to pick cotton. Guess who will be doing the pulling of the wagons though. We have two row pickers, man I just can't wait for all the fun to begin. Yipee, I'll go and sulk at the gym now, maybe I'll watch the aerobics class for a few mins to make me feel better.

Happygoingtothegym.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:59 PM

I can relate! My dad bless his little heart is a total slob and he could screw up a piece of steel with a rubber hammer. He went through surgery just after we got our new 5ver and came to stay with us to recoup. He chews Skoal spits everywhere, spills his spit cup, and well you get the idea.

I look at it this way, stuff can be replaced but my dad cannot. If your dad is like mine he’s a real nice guy and you love him to pieces. I know it’s hard to bit your tongue in situations like that but in the end, you will be glad you did. I just try to remind myself “how important is it”; will it really make a difference tomorrow, next week, next year? I have a feeling that when he is gone I will be wishing he were sitting on my couch spitting away and talking to me.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:05 PM

Sorry but I got a chuckle out of this too.

All I can say is be glad to have your Dad with you. I lost mine to cancer 3 years ago and I would love to have him here, even if he bent my tail pipe and spilt coke inside.

Just another side to think about.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:39 PM

Kind of surprised that his stuff didn't already look like this and you would have known this could happen. Or am I wrong and all of his stuff is undamaged and clean? If so then I would be mad... At least he's not hurt and still with you
Old 10-17-2005, 06:33 PM

I have to LMAO as I'm the dad in this case but I own the truck too. I think my kids cringe when I come down the street with the straight pipe roaring. My older son says " well I suppose you are going to put stacks on now too" Na probably a 4in system and some injectors that smoke a little. He says" ya already set off the neighbors security alarms when you come over." I keep telling them I plan on taking this truck with me so they better have a big back hoe lined up after the funeral. I don't smoke chew spit or drink so the truck is pretty clean inside and out. They do but not in my truck haha. I going to have some

bentwings
Old 10-17-2005, 07:28 PM

i'll agree with a couple of the other posts here.my dad just died the 4th of august,he was 80,he was fine when he was here for the 4th of july and started forgetting things etc.took him in for a cat scan on july 28th and he was gone on the 4th.on one hand i'mglad he went quick and didn't suffer,but then again i wish i had him around a little longer.enjoy the time you have with him even if he does things you don't like.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:03 PM

HappyGa: Sorry to hear about your truck. As most have stated it can be fixed, your Dad cant be replaced (there is only one). Looking at your situation from my viewpoint, I also would be upset that he didn’t even notice what he had done. Or maybe he even had a bit of fun tearing your rig up. You did the right thing by not saying anything while you were mad. I would talk to him about how you feel when you have settled down. What I find incredible is that your Dad is 80 and Farming and hauling over 5 tons of scrap and is even capable of doing it! Its also pretty interesting that your dad had you when he was 58 years old. That’s also incredible. Your dad must be a tough son of a gun and one in 10 million to be able to do the things he is doing. Just tonight my neighbor came over to have me help get her 86 year old father out of the car and into the house. He just got out of the hospital after having a stroke. He is to me a bit like a Grandfather I never had a chance to have. I don’t really know your situation but I do know that there are people that have never really had a dad and wish that they did.

Dusty
Old 10-17-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Next time you talk to him say "I hope you leave me alittle something in your will, cause the next time you spill coke on the inside of MY truck I'll gonna kill ya!"

That is just plane wrong. I don't care how old you are, he should know better...... now you know better than to loan anyone ANYTHING!

Quick Reply: I Have Been Violated...Some reading required