General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

I gotta praise cummins west since i had to send my dodge into them

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 03:26 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I gotta praise cummins west since i had to send my dodge into them

Since my recent issue with my 98 12v was a front main seal and i needed to have the KDP tabbed at the same time but not by me(i've done it before but have not seemed to have the time lately at least not for the last 3 months). in doing it the local diesel shop no names scrapped some silicon off the back of the timing cover between the timing cover and the motor silicon that had been there for quite some time. They fixed the front seal, new belt and did the KDP. all said and done i was in here $1000, They also ordered up a new shift fork for the front axle as mine was broke so there is $300 on that 1000.

No biggie (well it is a biggie cause 1000 bucks doesnt come easy) but i got the truck back and the silicon they scrapped off was covering up a profuse leak, a bandaid done by a spokane dealership at 93000 miles instead of fixing the gasket under warrantee like they should worked till 140000 probably would have gone longer any ways......... After finding this massive 1 qt an hour leaki took it into to imler diesel, Imler diesel quoted $2400 plus parts to replace the gasket (and potentially "the $350-400 timing cover") behind the timing cover because they said they had to pull the motor to remove the timing cover and then said it might be a week or two till its done. Had a friends wife Wheel the leaking pig over to Cummins West in West Sac since i work in santa rosa 90 miles away, got instant service, nice people no attitude, alot of help and honest numbers and alot of help over the phone.

Not ragging on Imler, as they are a good shop but i felt it was an unreasonable solution to a the problem..... pulling the motor???? "no other options" and "cummins will probably cost you more"

I used to deal alot with Cummins Northwest in missoula and have had great luck with them every time and feel that Cummins West also has done a very good job with service and competitive pricing..... at least less than $2400+ and this time i doubt im going to get the truck back and have more new front leaks......FYI if i had just gone to cummins in the first place i would have been better off because they would have located teh leak most likely while doing the repair to the KDP and i wouldnt be doing things twice.

Leason learned and i needed to compliment them also
Old 05-18-2005, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I was just out there yesterday to talk to another DTR member JohnCA58 , John Balunda, (one of the shop formen), re: Bombing my 05 and what does and does not work.

I was impressed with just how clean and organized the shop area was let alone John's willingness to answer my (stupid) questions while working on a bunch of other projects at the same time. Thank you John!

I know where I'll be having my work done
Old 05-20-2005, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well , I have to say Thank you for the kinds words , one thing I do have to say is thanx to DTR I am learing more and more about Bombing and what does work.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:13 AM

Im a spazzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:27 AM

Dusty , is that a Holset number?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:38 AM

I think so.

Never mind wrong numbers. Heres the right ones, i wne t out and looked the housing over closely and it matches 3521927 which makes it a 16 cm.

what and where was i thinking

PN cast into the housing:

3519297 = 21
3519410 = 18
3522778 = 18
3521927 = 16
3580651 = 14W

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm
Old 05-20-2005, 09:51 PM

Now those are a set of numbers I can look up... thanxs Dusty
Old 05-20-2005, 11:10 PM

hey what does it cost to have a O-ring head and kdp done at Imler?( 12v ) last time i was there for the dyno event i looked around the shop, seemed to be a clean place, and i talked with john and a few other shop people and they were only nice to me. (I dont know about that runamuk guy tho i meet him too......... hahhahahahaah )
Old 05-21-2005, 02:38 AM

Doogie , you should be doing that yourself.... KDP job you can handle no problem. the O ring job? you must have plans for doing twins. anywho your young and bright and should start busting knuckles and learn, and you be amaze at the pride you have from doing your own work.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:55 AM

just thinking here, I know you live quite aways from Sacramento Doogie, otherwise I be happy to show you how to do the job...... maybe we need to get the DTR Northern Chapter together and have a BBQ and Fix it day. I can bring some toolings for pump timing and other tooling and show how to. how bout it Runamuk
Old 05-21-2005, 11:49 PM

thats a great idea, i know runamuk wanted to. I dont want twins ( yet ) but i was thinking about a KSB-1 with bosh 370, up the timming, ats man. 191dv, 4k GSK, banks twin ram, ( not cause of hp but because i have an EGR and dont want it anymore thats why need the ats man. too) new gorend bros. tranny, bost, pyro, tranny temp, #0 fuel plate, kill the KDP. i think thats it, john you think thats enough to need the head worked on?
Old 05-21-2005, 11:51 PM

oooo and i forgot too say, i want to get my hands dirty, but i think that if i have the head done, why not just get the kdp done by the shop too, i think i want the shop to do, head, timming, and kdp, if i dont do the kdp myself.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JohnCA58,4 Doogie,

I'm game, any weekend will do! Just give me a date and I'll post it on the regional event forum also. Tri-tip anyone?

I have enough room for 3 different trucks and tools for most applications.

John you can even be the forman
Old 05-22-2005, 10:12 PM

give me 5 months ahahahahahah, ,i work weekends thats going to pay for my upgrades and both you guys have new trucks...........lol, and dont have KDP probs, you can help me with mine i am game tho, i need way way advance notice, hey john it was nice meeting you at the dyno event, same with you runamuk and seeing stop was kick A**
Old 05-22-2005, 10:29 PM

LOL , between Runamuk not wanting to hurt his warranty and you saving for your bombings. we have plenty of time to figure out a date hey Doogie you meant Stomp right. cuz that was something to see a VE pump B pushing over 600 h.p.

Quick Reply: I gotta praise cummins west since i had to send my dodge into them