General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

I could use some 6.0 info...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
sinister EGR delete. I have installed a few of these (TOTAL PAI) but a very cool kit. Don't have to remove the intake to do it, just lift it up slightly. with that year, he won't have to keep EGR valve plugged in to keep from tossin a code. Its a 7 hour job so be ready. EGR delete and spin on filter conversion is the easiest thing to do.

Next best thing on those is doing exhaust. 3.5" downpipe to 4" with the remainder. Then a cold air intake and leave it alone. Have done many edge juice with attitudes on 6leakers and they have nothing but problems. Cam sensor codes, send it back to edge, edge says nothing wrong but as soon as you unplug the edge truck runs fine, plug edge back in and bam. I hate working on them and when I have a customer call me with a ford and it is not an easy job, I send them to my buddy who is a ford tech and does work for me on the side. good luck Mad.

oh ya, get a big Uhaul blanket. The fan shroud has this nice little hump in it, when doing the EGR delete your mid section just under your ribs will hurt like heck (don't care how good of shape you are in). Got the t-shirt on that one and got a blanket.

have fun!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Mad

Not sure on the 6 liter, but Power Hungry Performance and Tony Wildman make some incredible tuners for the ford stuff. These guys are diehards, they can make a ford fast ( hard to believe ) and not blow it up. ( even harder to believe ) The don't do canned tunes, they build the tunes to suit the vehicle and the job it has to do.

Otherwise, the majority of the problems, as already stated. The egr cooler fails. This lends to coolant where it shouldn't be, then you overheat, then the head gaskets pop, then it looks like niagara falls.

Easiest way to diagnose an egr cooler leak, is to park the truck nose down, and remove the egr valve. if you see coolant, or better yet it flows out the top, you have a bad egr cooler.

If you get away with a bad cooler, and don't fail a head gasket, the turbo will pile up from the sticky mess that the burned coolant residue combined with soot tends to leave.

Good luck with your buddy
Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Great info, guys. Thank you.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was also reading on "thedieselstop.com" that the 6.0 should get a good coolant filter as well. Reason being there is still casting sand in the block and it settles in the erg cooler and its hard on water pumps.

If he buys parts from DTR he will get good deals (due to the volume buying he will be doing) . Some friends of ours had a 2003 6.0 and she went boom (cracked pistons, scored cylinder walls). They were making fun of our truck being only a 6 cylinder before that and what a great deal they got also. Surprisingly the comments have stopped (I took the high road and have not mentioned that sore spot) and they now have a V10.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Best thing about a 6.0 is you can buy them real cheap so you can put a cummins in see sig
Old 09-02-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
My friend has an 04. Beautiful truck but a real unreliable piece of doo. He told me he is uncomfortable even taking it out of town anymore, much less on camping trips, which is why he bought it.
When it fails it just quits with no warning, usually in an out of the way place. He has kept a warranty on it but the downtime and location usually costs him anyway.
I am trying to get him to do the aftermarket egr tube and intake elbow but he worries he will void his warranty. This is supposedly a good start to alleviating some of the 6.0 liter problems.

Good luck, he'll need it!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just sent Mark some help. I sent him the Service manual on CD. It is for my 04 but there isn't much that changeds from 03 to 04. Keith
Old 09-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

And I am in debt to you. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:41 PM

Not a big deal. See there are some Ford owners that aren't jerks. Keith
Old 09-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Location: Then, raised central PA; Now where ever Uncle Sam sends me.
Is that a year you have to lift the cab off to do any engine work on? I loved hearing that from some of the "other guys"(FORD). A job in the engine bay starts with a 2-3 hour cab removeal. great for the shop, bad for the customer..... Heard a few ford guys had it down to under an hour..... Guess thats called with "experience" comes speed.......LOL sorry Hat I have been there before just glad its you and not me. The conversion to a cummins does sound like a simplier in the long run option.....
Old 09-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Oh, it ain't me, brother, it's the neighbor. I don't mind working on someone else's problem... I can walk away if I have to!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by benboonie
Is that a year you have to lift the cab off to do any engine work on? I loved hearing that from some of the "other guys"(FORD).
That is how the dealers do it. A local shop did some firewall customization with a piece of pipe and a big hammer to do head gaskets. I just got my truck back from the dealer 2 weeks ago for head gaskets. Done under warranty. Did cost me $583 to replace the head bolts with studs though. I was loosing about 1 gallon of antifreeze every 1500 miles. Keith
Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ktpauley
That is how the dealers do it. A local shop did some firewall customization with a piece of pipe and a big hammer to do head gaskets. I just got my truck back from the dealer 2 weeks ago for head gaskets. Done under warranty. Did cost me $583 to replace the head bolts with studs though. I was loosing about 1 gallon of antifreeze every 1500 miles. Keith

You got screwed, Ford has been studding them at no cost to the customer, at least at the Ford dealer my buddy works at.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madhat
I know they are junk.

He bought it without asking me for advice. Now, I have to try to make it a good running truck. He says it runs great.

Fuel pressure gauge when your fuel pump goes out it will starve the injectors of fuel and you will loose injectors. I had to replace the fuel pump in my 05 6.0 at 30K my friends 03 6.0 just lost his fuel pump this last monday ignored the signs and burned up 6 injectors. A minor problum with a 6.0 will become a major one if your not carefull

Forget about putting a tuner on the engine. My 05 is already puking at 52K with running a edge which is set on economy 99% of the time.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Having 2nd thoughts about 6-oh-nos (true story)

The bad news is I was camping over the holiday weekend and lost my dog.

The good news is somebody found it.

The bad news is that I was going to have to drive 2 hours to get the dog.

The good news is the person who found it has a 6.0 Ford.

The bad news is the 6.0 was blowing white smoke, lost power, and he had to leave it by the side of the road over the weekend.

The good news is he left it 10 minutes away from here, and had to return to tow it to the dealer, so he brought the dog with him.

I think I like 6.0s a little better now, this one saved me 2 hours and some gas money.

Quick Reply: I could use some 6.0 info...