General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

I could use some 6.0 info...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
destroked could be a big help in the future.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
If it helps YOU any Mark, I will be happy to give him a discount on parts....at least you can pass that along to him as a favor from DTR
He's gonna need a bunch of them..
Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cincydiesel
He's gonna need a bunch of them..
I would start by removing the radiator cap and parking a Cummins under it
Old 08-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Bed plate leaks, cant really stop it. presents as a rear main.

Turbo's, the 03 had a 7 vein vgt the late 04 and up got a 10 vein vgt.

egr's

heads and head gaskets because the are "NOT" studded and only have 4 bolts per cylinder. Ford did however start to stud the ones they were we reheaded.

ebps, exaust back pressure sensors. the cure was a complete software rewrite to eliminate it. they never ran as good after the reflash.

transmission reverse snap rings, look for a magnetic filter on the hot line to the external filter, then it probably had a tranny and cooler put in it.

Heck just call me, I'll be posting all night.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacomaman87
ya and from the pics they show in the mag they just look like a blast to turn wrenches on. lots of room under the hood. Although after working on little cars all day im use to having no working space. I like my cummins its got a nice flat valve cover to set my beer on almost like a coffee table.
Yeah, there is no room under that thing.

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
If it helps YOU any Mark, I will be happy to give him a discount on parts....at least you can pass that along to him as a favor from DTR
That's awful nice of you, Lary. You'll still make good money...

Originally Posted by Tacomaman87
destroked could be a big help in the future.
Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
I would start by removing the radiator cap and parking a Cummins under it
Wait... doesen't ford own cummings? Why would they put that nasty old PS under there anyway?
Old 08-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Bed plate leaks, cant really stop it. presents as a rear main.

Turbo's, the 03 had a 7 vein vgt the late 04 and up got a 10 vein vgt.

egr's

heads and head gaskets because the are "NOT" studded and only have 4 bolts per cylinder. Ford did however start to stud the ones they were we reheaded.

ebps, exaust back pressure sensors. the cure was a complete software rewrite to eliminate it. they never ran as good after the reflash.

transmission reverse snap rings, look for a magnetic filter on the hot line to the external filter, then it probably had a tranny and cooler put in it.

Heck just call me, I'll be posting all night.
Tim, valuable information. I may do that. Thanks, buddy.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:49 PM

who would want a 6 cyl cummings in a big truck like that? You need to have a v8 in a 3/4 ton truck or its useless!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 PM

Im not trying to start a war or trash other brands, but even Ford Guys told me they dont like them.
We have a few 6.0s at work and WOW, we Dumped A TON of money in to each of them, Headsgaskets, turbos, engines, injectors, EGRs, ETC. Easy to drop 5K.
Ill NEVER own one.(and i say "never say Never") We cant get rid of them because we spent too much, we have to get more use out of them.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I know they are junk.

He bought it without asking me for advice. Now, I have to try to make it a good running truck. He says it runs great.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

I liked the Edge Juice/attitude platinum. Good power with adjust ability for both engine and transmission, plus built in gauges.

If you want a flash programmer then go with SCT, they are the "Smarty" equivalent for Fords. They even have flash's available to fix that pesky egr problem.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:20 PM

We've got an early '04 6.0l at work. It's been in the shop alot, but I won't bore you with that. Early on it developed a hard start problem. Ford's solution was to reprogram the ecm and have the injectors cycle before cranking and after shut down. They can clearly be heard ticking while waiting on the glow plugs and for a couple of seconds after shutting the engine off. It was my understanding that they would be reprograming all of the earlier 6.0's that presented this problem. I guess that's something you can look for when it doesn't want to crank. EGR delete should take care off alot of problems. Also the fuel level sending unit can be problematic.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 PM

thought dptuners was the thing for these fords?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Different years have different programmers that work well. I hear SCT is the best bang for the buck.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:39 PM

i gotcha well i hope he doesnt have problems with it. my uncle has a 03 6.0 with heavy use and its never given him a stitch of problems...
Old 09-01-2010, 02:17 AM

Mark,

Here is another good forum. thedieselgarage.com . Injector problems for some 03s. Some had C94 injectors. These had bad O rings. You can tell because the oil level in the crankcase gets higher. These were replaced with C95 injectors. A good programmer is the SCT with custom tunes. He can get an Economy tune, about 70 Hp with ERG turned off, torque convertor locked up at 40 MHP, exhaust brake (uses turbo as an exhaust brake). Shoot me a PM, I have the service manual on CD for my 04. I had the head gaskets done the other week under warranty. Cost me $583 for the dealer to install head studs. Keith

Quick Reply: I could use some 6.0 info...