General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

I bit hard! Heading out Saturday to take delivery!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the Sport bumpers not have rubber on them? All metal? I was thinking of doing something like this

http://www.t6p.com/forums/attachment...achmentid=7788

http://www.t6p.com/forums/attachment...achmentid=7789
Old 06-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Intercooler, if ya decide on taking up this truck, I have a couple of rear bumpers for an 02 in my shop in Houston. I could hook-up with you and GIVE them to you on your way back home. Both bumpers have a small ding in them. A friend and I both installed Ranch Hand bumpers cause we both tow trailers quite a bit and both wanted a little more meat back there in case we overshot our ball hook-ups. PM me and I'll give you my cell #.

Gary
Old 06-08-2005, 12:16 PM

Absolutely! Sending you a PM. I don't think it's that far from the town I am getting it in.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by scuzman00
Intercooler, if ya decide on taking up this truck, I have a couple of rear bumpers for an 02 in my shop in Houston. I could hook-up with you and GIVE them to you on your way back home. Both bumpers have a small ding in them. A friend and I both installed Ranch Hand bumpers cause we both tow trailers quite a bit and both wanted a little more meat back there in case we overshot our ball hook-ups. PM me and I'll give you my cell #.

Gary
Now THAT's a big part of the reason I really like this forum!! Thanks guys for helping each other out - this is what makes the Internet, and especially this site, so great to be a part of! Keep on being good faithful Americans who look out for each other!
Old 06-12-2005, 01:12 PM

My other thread got closed. I did get in touch with some Police:

4) I ran this VIN through a database I have acess to. Let me tell you....the damage and incident this truck was involved in.....WAS HUGE! There is no way even 1/2 the damage was repaired. Maybe just cosmetically...but not much more! Remember...insurance company standards are only to salvage cars when the damage exceeds 60% of the value. (In this case, to repair the damage is over $12K!)

5) The actual work they claimed they did would run as follows: replace bed (with a USED bed- $1400), repair misc dents ($500-$1000), professional paint materials and job by PPG standard ($1600) and "frame" straightening for damage listed on the database ($4500). That alone is about $8 to 9K in damage...and I am being VERY conservative in the estimate. You think when he is asking $14K he just put $8K into it???

6) The average retail of this truck is $21K with a clean title. He asked $14K (with $8k of work he dumped into it) and it is still a total piece of salavge crap! Why would you even consider paying $14K for a salavage truck, that needs $12K in repairs? Even assuming he did wat he said, there are still at least $4k in repairs not done (Insurnace damage estimate minue what he claimed to have done). At $14K, add in the $4k you would have invested in repairs, and you have $18K. You could go buy a NEW smaller truck for that amount, with a factory warranty and no headaches!

Enough of that. I learned something from it.

Still looking around. If I find one then okay and if not then okay. I will make sure though it isn't a salvage vehicle though!
Old 06-12-2005, 04:10 PM
JKM

You learned the hard way as did I , I got out of it with about as much money outta my pocket as you did , i will NEVER EVER consider a salvage vehicle again , EVER.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:10 PM

Consumer reports did a very extensive write-up of this growing nationwide problem a couple of years back. This article may be archived on their website, or you could ask at your local library for it.

Very glad you didn't buy something that would have been a real headach to deal with. Take your time - the right truck is out there!
Old 06-15-2005, 01:54 PM

I got my answer (Thanks to the member that provided it!)

Sorry I didn’t get to you sooner but my daughters internet was down.

I went by the place in Rosenberg, the truck was gone. This place is not a car lot; it is a 2 bay shack behind another building. The lot that was in the e-bay pics was next door to this place. All this guy does is rebuild wrecks. By the looks of the vehicles he had there waiting to be repaired, the guy did you a huge favor. These trucks were severely damaged! I wouldn’t want one of them no matter how good the guy is at what he does. Just my opinion.

I asked the guy when he sold the truck, he said last week. I asked how much he sold it for, he said $14,500.00. Then he went on to tell me what a nice truck it was, blah, blah, blah. I asked him what about the guy in PA that was coming to get the truck Saturday? He said "Oh I don’t remember I talk to so many people". Then he just walked off.

Hang in there the right truck is out there.

I moved on. I gave up on the diesel and will be getting a gas truck. Maybe in a couple of years I will explore it again but this time a brand new one. Thanks for the help here!

When I do come back it will be this board!