General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

I bit hard! Heading out Saturday to take delivery!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another positive response:

The truck that I bought turned out to be a great buy.It had front end damage that was repaired pretty well. The only thing that doesn't work is the emergency brake light in the dash to tell you that it the brake is on.I feel that he represented it honestly,and it is a great truck.For the price I don't think I could have gotten a better buy on a F250 diesel. I hope you have as good a experience as I have had. Good luck, Brad.

Trying to get pics and see if he still has it.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:46 PM

You only live once right!

Here is another one that was pretty positive so I am going for it! If I get there and it is garbage and have to come back I will have wasted some cash but that is rolling the dice I guess.

RE: Reem auto. They seem quite nice, quite straightforward. Most of what they do is buy wrecks at auction and rebuild them. (That's what mine was). They were very up front about what they had done, and what condition it had originally been in, etc. They missed a few minor things, (like reinstalling my cruise control servo) but hey, for the price???? If you email them, they'll give you their phone # so you can talk to them direct about the truck. Don't be weirded out when you call, they're Palastinian (from Ramallah, no less).At any rate, after a plane ride of asking myself if I was crazy, etc.,I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one from them. One thing, though, check with your DMV to be sure of what documentation you'll need to register the vehicle, if it has a Tx. salvage title. I live in NV.,and got some flack for the way the title was signed off. It wasn't a huge hassle, but one I could have avoided with a little better advance planning. good luck
Old 06-08-2005, 07:44 AM

intercooler----After looking at the pics of the truck i notice that in the shot taken of the rear that the bumper seems to be quite crooked and seeing as that is where most of the damage was sustained i would be giving that a real close look, seems kinda odd that after all the work they did on the truck they would put the bumper on crooked.

rob
Old 06-08-2005, 09:17 AM

I asked him about that. He said they couldn't do anything else with it. I may be able to do some adjustments of some sort when I get it home to make it look better... don't know. He said what you see is what you get. I am sure there is probably some tweak back there that couldn't be straightened without cutting and welding of some sort. Is it that bad to spend another 10-12 for a similar truck with a perfectly straight bumper? Maybe those who are more familiar with how the rear bumper mounts can give me some feedback. Are the bracket holes elongated to allow up and down and back and forth movement? My S-10 had some oblong shaped cutouts to slide the bolts through for adjustment. The only other thing I think I could do if the Dodge mounts aren't slotted it to maybe take the bumper off after figuring out where I need the holes to hit to make it perfectly level in every way, weld the old holes up, grind flush and bore new holes so it fits perfectly. Does this sound like a good way to attack it? I think what they did was straighten the frame but at a certain point there was some twist in the rails that couldn't be removed (maybe someone with better knowledge of those pics can verify) so in essence.... it is what it is.

I guess what I am saying is I think it could be corrected with a little work. Can anyone give me a yes or no on my train of thought?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:22 AM

The other thought since it is a replacement bumper and doesn't exactly look new is the bumper is a little fubar. Hard to tell really but would these problems make or break the deal?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:27 AM

I didn't even think about asking this here with all of these members

I just made a post to see if someone maybe not too far away can stop by to look it over on my behalf. Feel free to post this somewhere else if you think someone might see it and can help:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...220#post678220

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:50 AM

I talk to much!

I went out in the parking lot at lunch to look at a bumper assembly. It appears the bumper (unless different on the 3500's) is a two piece assembly with a bracket. You have the bumper which bolts to an intermediate bracket at one end and attaches to the frame on the other end. The bumper can be moved up or down for adjustment there and the bracket can be moved on the frame. That is if the bolt holes aren't super-tight on the bolts. If it is then they would need slotted or welded/grinded/drilled.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:54 AM

The damage appears to be around the crossmember rivet. It doesn't look quite right. I would wire brush the area around the rivet and look for a crack. If it's not cracked I'd go for it. It's behind the rear axle and won't effect alignment. It looks from the report like it passed the safety inspection even with the collision damage. The only problem I have with salvage vehicles is that they are difficult to resale and impossible to find financing for if you need a loan. If these things don't concern you go for it, it looks clean. The bumper does appear to be crooked and may even have cracks on the back side. But other than that looks good.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:16 AM

After blowing up the pictures and looking at them the **** bumper looks twisted. It has to be a used one that is just not very good rather than a serious problem with the frame. I circled in blue where you can see it is twisted and not level on the left side. IMO it is just a goofy bumper. Wonder how much a new or aftermarket one costs? I can live with it for now. See pic:

Old 06-08-2005, 11:17 AM

Another view blown up:
Old 06-08-2005, 11:17 AM

My rear bumper is crooked as well, but it's a truck, so I haven't worried about it. If you really want to fix it well, contact DMI corporation for an impact-adsorbing bumper mounted directly to your fram to take the jarring from towing a heavy trailer. Seems like a great truck for the money, for some reason when I first read it I thought it was a '99. The '02 should have the rear disk brakes and other improvements, if I'm not mistaken. Looks great, take all this advice, go look it over, if you like it, go for it! Enjoy your trip!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:20 AM

Hope I haven't bugged everyone too much with this! Just trying to be cautious and don't want to do something stupid since I don't know the trucks all too well. Got my tickets so I will report back when I start my drive since I plan on taking my laptop with me. Does anyone know where to get a bumper for the rear that won't rust? I see a bunch of them like that on the Dodge trucks. If I am buying a new one I want it to last a while.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:24 AM

I have always thought that having the inside of a rear bumper coated with the spray-on-bedliner material would make a lot of sense. That should prevent rust, unless there are drain holes that need not be blocked. Typically these rust inside out, so perhaps this would help.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:27 AM

I was thinking about that. Maybe I can get one in a salvage yard and have my friend that has a powder-coating business do the inside and face. Kind of like the Sport Model? Wonder how that would look? Wouldn't rust then!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:33 AM

i have bought texas salvage cars and trucks many times before, some i drove home and needed nothing more than a fender and a tail light to be 100%. i have also bought trucks that have been rolled and look like they hit every thing but the lottery with good blue texas titles. it is a toss up on the titles anymore, most insurance companys total them and get a salvage title to cover them from getting sued later.

Quick Reply: I bit hard! Heading out Saturday to take delivery!