General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

hy turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Hillfolker, you rock! It's cool to see somebody doing something unique.

I'm gonna move this over to "General Diesel."
Old 06-17-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-10 is a 5/8" hose... dash sizes are in 1/16" steps..

-4 = 4/16" = 1/4"
-6 = 6/16" = 3/8"
-8 = 8/16" = 1/2"

-10 shoulld work ok, but a -12 would be better.

"an" is really only used by the racing/hotrod community... everyone else calls them JIC fittings. a 37* jic fitting is 100% compatable with "an" fittings
Old 06-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Banned

-10 will be fine...

run the HY, and if you have problems spooling it, hit it w/ a little shot of nitrous
Old 06-24-2006, 01:39 AM

heck yea ilike doin it different,its usuallymore expensive,and being a pioneer,you doget a few arrows shot in your rear,but you gotta push on
just got done with the new clutch,i got the trans out last(thurs) night,and coulda put it allback together,if i didnt 4get my tq.wrench at work,so i finished it tonite,man that 4 puck grabs great,at least now i can put out the power i hope that turbo will give me,im hopin to get going again on the manifold next week ,as my fabber guy was on vacation last week
cool tip on the an sizes
im gonna do it right and "match" it to the outlet,at first i was lazy,and didnt wanna remove the pan to fab the new fitting in there,but i may as well do it now correctly,then i dont have to worry about it
i cut the wastegate bracket off the compressor housing, ground it down and cleaned it up on the belt sander...and im gonna make a custom bracket for it(the wastegate diaphram),since i have to "reclock" the turbo
i tapped the hole on the compressor housing that normally goes to the wastegate diaphram for pipe thread too,so i can attach a hose to it and run it in the car for my manual boost controller,and the other side back out to the diaphram
i use an old shop air line regulator for a boost controller,no need for 60-80 dollar control valve,mines a campbell hausfield mini air regulator i got at the home depot for 15 bux,thats lo buck speed,thats what its all about(gotta spend money on where it counts,dont get me wrong)
besides i dont know much about electronic boost controllers,i dont even think i could use one on a non electronic diesel
im glad we have those huge snap ring pliers at work for that snap ring on the compressor housing!!if that thing would fly,i think itll take your head off!!!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:12 AM

Lightbulb

heres some pics of the exhaust flanges made by westmotorsports.biz
im goin in steel,cause i dont have dough for stainless,thats fine as long as itll git er done

ohheres my new water injection jet,see the holes? theres holes on the opposite side to match those also

silly riceboys theynever saw it coming!
Old 07-01-2006, 07:16 AM
Adminstrator-ess

You're not putting water/meth in pre-turbo are you?
Old 07-01-2006, 12:42 PM

been doin it that way for years why not??? blue washer fluid i use
right in the intake to the turbo
pick up a book called "turbos" by hugh mcinnes ,its a little dated,but shows all kinds of water injection setups
,i got mine at summit racing for around 15 bux,its great for "basic" turbo info+stuff
i dont wanna build a metal box and use boost pressure to equalize the tank,so a washer pump could force fluid in the pressurized intake
it would be similar to my setup,i would just have to add a boost line to my bottle etc,,,,preturbo is just fine,what would be the reason for not goin like this? besides that turbo atomizes the crap out of water droplets
not you i just like the hammering dude he is cool,he is hammering a ricers head i think
Old 07-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Over the long run the water droplets hitting the turbine will tear it up. I guess it's not much of an issue for a drag car though.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:12 AM

drag car? ok i guess a daily driven drag car or how bout " because if it dont run i dont get to work "car?
i guess drag car sounds better than that mess
Old 07-02-2006, 03:22 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'd go post turbo with the water injection for the reason stated already an also because if you install an intercooler you will just have the water sloshing around in there.
For the VW TD's we usually took the injectors from a gasser and put them into the intake and supplied water/meth there- used the generator output as a pulse source that goes traight on engine speed and an amplifier with pulse width modulator to get the necessary amount of water in- later we used a simple fuel pressure regulator from a turbo gasser to have more water at higher boost and a cutout switch that turned the water off below 50% throttle.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 07-02-2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by hillfolker
hey,you guys have stacks to blow blackcoal,i have a turndown to mark my territory....heh,its funny,when i do a burnout,i leave 3 stripes
you smoke rice,i smoke rice
That rocks. I leave 5 with mine: 4 rear tires + turndown stripe
Old 07-02-2006, 07:07 PM

wow,alpine ram,you sound like someone i need to talk to,hmmm
someone tweaking vw diesels,for god knows what, sounds like for pulling or something,hmmm,,,ok my interest is peaked
yea im not running an ic yet,if i do,ill go post turbo