General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

hy turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up hy turbo questions

hey,first post for me,i love the b engine,and i get a few of them in where i work(b and c dealer)
my crazy plan,and im already doing it ,im putting a hy 35 (9cm exhaust i think)from a 01 dodge with auto trans on my low 14 second vw rabbit with a mechanical tdi engine(im not braggin just tellin ya my situation),and im nukin stock turbos so im steppin up to the big boys setup
hey ive already got a 12mm head on my ve pump,so fuel is not a problem,i like using "your" parts on my vw
my question is,i already have a -10 drain on my existing turbo,can i use a -10drain on the hy ? is it big enough??i dont want to be blowing oil smoke because of a restricted oil drain
Old 06-11-2006, 01:13 PM

i know its only been an hour or so,but does anyone have an idea for me? i wanna go wrench in the garage this afternoon,and fab up the (turbo oil)drain line..no sense in fabbing up a dash 10(-10) line if its gonna be too small
iknow this is a dodge forum,but does someone need pics ???
oh and you guys have cool "smilies" i may try to "borrow" them for one of my vw sites.......
Old 06-11-2006, 04:45 PM

I may be able to offer some insight for you, I need a little info 'tho.

What is engine displacement?
What is your redline rpm?
At what rpm do you wish to have boost to come on?

I guess you have a TD engine, rather than a TDI as you state. All TDI's are electronically controlled, however one can be made to work with manually governed injection pump.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:22 PM

yes sir,its a TDI(direct injecton),not a IDI(older prechamber)..
I made it mechanical, using an older vw turbodiesel pump,but with a 12mm pump head,and kermatdi race 520 nozzles
basically,its(almost) already done,the swap that is, the manifold is somewhat fabbed but the oil drain has me concerned,if its too small,im using a dash 10 currently and i hope this will work ok..
currently im using a "stock" garrett from like a 86 jetta td engine,i nuked the turbine wheel right out the downpipe...thats a problem,,im usin an old shop air press. regulator ,but tobe honest,i usually leave it closed so i get full boost,about 35-40 pounds or so,it cant take that kind of hurting i bring
thats why im steppin up to a hy,its "small" for you guys ,but a good one for us,,theres a guy that used one on a compound setup on a idi engine,i guess it runs pretty good,like 160hp(im not sure if his idi is a 1.6 or a 1.9 though offhand)

blow black diesel smoke!!

i blew the wheel right out of the stocker on the left

best et on that turbo was this..yes the winning one

heh,this was funny,ialmost pooped myself,i was at about the 1000 mark,and i stillran a 14.17!!
Old 06-11-2006, 11:38 PM

Exclamation

hey,you guys have stacks to blow blackcoal,i have a turndown to mark my territory....heh,its funny,when i do a burnout,i leave 3 stripes
you smoke rice,i smoke rice

poor ricers didnt know what hit them,its a total sleeper
it ran that 14.07 on those tires,lowered to25 psi,i touched nothing at the track to tune it up other than that,like i said the poor ricers didnt know what hit them....

heres some vids,i hope photobucket works here,and its almost impossible to drive and hold the camera
[URL=http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/hillfolker/]
Old 06-12-2006, 03:51 PM

I'd be inclined to estimate HY35 to be too large for 1.9 TDI application.
You need to wind the TDI up to 5000rpm, and shoot for 30psi of boost, and still you're short of designed airflow of HY35 when it's mated onto Cummins 5.9 spinning at leasurely 2500rpm with stock boost. I estimate TDI to be 10-15% behind in airflow.

I'd look something a little smaller. Try out HX30 fo starters. That is however just on the verge of being a touch too small. It should pull nicely up to about 4500rpm before running out of breath.

A size in between the two mentioned above is what you're looking for. Garrett T03/04 has an appealing compressor on it. I feel the turbine is too restrictive in a diesel application, since T03/04 Garrett is engineered for petrol (gasoline) engine.

I know of one guy that slapped a Garrett GT28R onto TDI. He's making very good power. Sorry, I don't know which model of GT28 he's got. I would try GT2871R.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:44 PM

sounds sorta ok though,stock redline is 4800or so,and ive "accidently" wound it up to 5k before...(ive got my max rpm setup somewhere around 5500,i dont like the governor droop )
30 psi? sounds great!! ill let it go to whatever psi (although i may nuke something above 40,ill stop there)
as it is,that stock turbo would wind my vdo 30 psi guage around to the "0 pointer/stop", im sayin about40 psi...
maybe i could find a smaller exhaust housing,i heard someone say they make a 6cm?
i am diggin your guys+gals tweaked up B's ,and i hope you didnt mind some pics of a crappy vw on your site(but its still diesel)just to give an idea what im workin with..
the hy that i got,i got it for cheap,and a buddy is fabbing a manifold at his shop,i dont have too much to lose,cause if it doesnt "work" i will start searching for something smaller
but if it works and gets me into the 13's that was my goal to begin with...
what do ya think about the orig question though,is a dash10 (-10) drain line gonna be big enough for turbo oil drain??
Old 06-13-2006, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel kinda dumb, but what is a dash10 (-10) drain line? Can't say I've heard of -10 line, inches or mm I would understand.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:35 AM

There is a company that builds a smaller exhaust housing for the hx35/h1c series turbo and I believe they make it for both the mitsubishi flange mount and a t3 mount. It runs around $200. Won't work on the hy though. But I think you'll be fine with the hy.

For the drain, how big is the -10? The drain line on the trucks is around 3/4" to 1" diameter. So at least that big.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:42 PM

I had a guy buy a hy from me out in utah and put it on some 4 cy. rice rocket. He said someone makes a 6 or 7 cm housing for the hy.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:43 PM

um,its the "an" number is the size ... an -10 ,dash10,etc,my dad told me a neat trick to remember "dash" numbers to "real" sizes(these dash numbers come from the aircraft world originally,before the racers started using an fittings)
a dash4 or -4 is 1/4 inch i.d
a dash6 or -6 is 5/16
a dash 8 is 3/8
well from what ive seen in my "summit" catalog,they say the dash 10 is like 1/2 inch or 9/16 inch i.d.
its sorta like the dash number is the last number on the "real size",see it??but it only works up to dash 10 or so....4 ,6 and 8 is "easy " to remember
shoot imay haveta go bigger....
theres a couple of guys on some of my vw sites that are starting to use hy's
Old 06-14-2006, 08:31 AM

I would just measure the oil outlet size on the turbo center section itself and just make the drain line a little bigger.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:43 PM

Thumbs up

yea,im gonna fab up a new drain to the pan,do a little welding+stuff
i work near here
summersrubber.com
and they have evry fitting and hose you can think of,im probably gonna do it up with good steel hydraulic fittings and braided hydraulic hose in 3/4 inch i.d.thatll be guaranteed then...
i dont like this "aircraft" stuff im runnin now,it cant handle the elements(salt+winters)
and the lame "swivel" feature?yea it "sweats",it never drips,but its always attracts dust...
anyways ive got the new manifold stubs port matched,and the flanges are already drawn up,and just have to be cut out in the cnc machine
im doing it in steel,i dont have the $$ for stainless
manifold done by
westmotorsports.biz
sorry i dont know how to post a link yet,please cut+paste
Old 06-16-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
As far as I see you don't use an intercooler- I'd strongly suggest going for an IC and maybe even for some water/meth stuff. The problem with a small turbo running above it'S map is the high heat output so you'd really get some benefits there. You could also try to get an external wastegate and use your stocker as a secondary and the hy as a primary in a twin setup- this would keep your chargers within their maps and with an ic you'd have lots of cool boost with the lowest possible backpressure.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 06-17-2006, 03:56 PM

yea im gonna put an ic on it soon,but iwant to make sure itsnot too visible from the outside,ilike the sleeper theme,im already runnin a homemade water injection setup i made fromstratch,and i also use good ol' blue washer fluid,it works great!!real seat of the pants feel,no lie
how do i post a link??
here cut and paste for my water injection setup.....
http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3724
those fart pipe ricers never saw it coming

Quick Reply: hy turbo questions