General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Hummer H2 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hummer H2 Engine Swap

Greetings, all. A buddy of mine with WAY too much money for his own good and I discussed last night what to do with his H2. Discussions ranged from exhaust and chips to a supercharger. It didn't take long before the conversation moved to engine swaps. His suggestion was to look to swap in a Duramax, while mine went the way of a Cummins.

I haven't found much in the way of information as to whether anyone's attempted this swap. The engine compartment is freakin' small, so a firewall massage is likely going to be required, especially with the comparative length of the Cummins engine to the wimpy 6 liter. He thought of the D-max because of the availability of an Allison trans and its virtual bolt-up ease.

I'd like to see what one of these turds would do with a breathed-on 24V - 900 foot pounds!!! Way cool.

Anyone heard of this kind of swap? I've seen an H1 swap on TDR, but not an H2

Thanks
Old 11-12-2004, 09:35 AM

Funny you ask, my wife would love one of those, so ofcourse I thought it would be sweet with a big C on the side. By the way I NEED more friends with money like that LOL , just kidding hopping to go sledding out your way someday.

On to the question, ditch the d-max, the cummins has more turbo options and you can mod an auto out as good as your wallet will hold. With money anything is possible.

good-luck, keep us posted, justmy.002
Old 11-12-2004, 09:56 AM

Will do. I'll wager that I will probably have as much time invested just researching as I will in the swap itself! You're absolutely correct, it IS good to have friends with boatloads of cash! I just like fabricating things, so this is good therapy for me, as I ususally and lately don't have the cheese to fund such projects. Making things keeps me from killing people, which is good.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a thought on the Duramax/Allison swap. My understanding is that the Duramax/Allison combo is not available in the current Suburban/Tahoe chassis primarily because the Allison won't fit under the current floorpan. Since the H2 is built on the same basic platform, I would assume one would run into the same problem.

Rusty
Old 11-12-2004, 10:01 AM

I'm expecting MAJOR surgery to several areas on this turd. I've already prepped my buddy to the likelihood of moving the firewall back some, so moving the trans tunnel probably won't freak him out too bad. It's only money, right?
Old 11-12-2004, 02:33 PM

Tell him to trade in that H2 and get a used H1 if he really wanted a diesel and off road capabilities.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:41 PM

Naw, that ain't gonna happen. Going for something different among things different, ya know? A diesel in an H2 is sufficiently different. Plus, H2's are a bit more luxurious than H1's, and they don't have that MASSIVE center console. He still wants to fondle his woman as he's going down the road!