General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

how to plumb auxillary tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to plumb auxillary tank?

i have a 95 gal. aux. tank. how do you plumb it into the main tank? i am not sure if it is legal in the state of georgia or not. does anyone know how to do this? pics would be great. thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 05:43 PM

Do a search FiverBob has pics and all the info you need
Old 10-24-2006, 05:47 PM

it is real easy in go from the bottom of aux tank put a shut off valve run 3/4 hose to the fill neck there is a smaller hose beside the fill hose (sorry drawing a blank) put a t in it and u are in business. the aux tank will drain into the main tank works like a charm and real easy and cheap have done about 6 like this have 2 right now no problems.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:44 PM

Aux Tank

Turbo dreams:
I did the gravity feed thing, and had a spill. The fuel tank cap is a vented cap. So I bought a replacement cap and plugged the vent mechanism with "JB weld" this sealed the cap. the tank has a vented cap so all is good.
With the now non vented cap on the main tank, the top of the filler neck is always air bound, and when the main tank draws down the aux tank drains to the point of the "T" connection. "Note" the additional head pressure of the aux tank fuel helps the lift pump to do it's thing. Hey have you ever had the wings at Big Jims Wing House?I know its not in Griffin, but just south west of it almost to Williamson?
Old 10-24-2006, 07:14 PM

cool, thanks. keep the info coming. i have heard of the gravity fed method but i would not like to spill almost 300 dollars of diesel. which is the best way? do you let it feed the primary tank all the time? or do you put like a ball valve to shut off fuel flow and only turn it on when you need to refill?
ironbutt, i live about 5 min. from big jims wing shack, but i do not go there much.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:39 PM

i searched fiverbob and didn't find everything i was looking for. if i come off the bottom of the tank, put on a ball valve, run 3/4" hose to the vent line or whatever by the factory tank, and T it in; would this be ok? now would i have to stop and open the ball valve to refill the main tank? or would it be ok to run the ball valve open all the time so you could essentially have 130 gallons of fuel?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:56 PM

If you utalize a ball mount you can make a simple push/pull lever for the cap with a manual choke cable you just need to run the cable so tha when you push it the ball valve closes and pull opens it. I had that set up on my on ford 7.3 and a 45 gal bed tank until i went to a solonoid activated valve. I forget when i got the valve but it would close when power was off and open when i turned it on. I would just turn it on when the fuel went to about half and let it run til the gauge got close to full.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:12 AM

Turbo dreams:
Northern tool has a valve mechanism that goes into the filler hose also. It costs about $60 bucks, and has a ball check built into it. do a search on here for aux tanks. And yes by all means install a ball valve at the tank outlet.
At Big Jims I like the deep fried corn on the cob also
Old 10-25-2006, 11:45 AM

Although the gravity feed method works I think it is illegal in most states for D.O.T. The way I did mine was a small electric fuel pump that runs from the aux. tank to the "T" I installed inline my main fuel neck filler hose. It has 2 hose barbs (1/2") in it. One to feed and one to return to aux. There is also a 3 port valve that only opens when the electric fuel pump is running. I also have a switch and a guage I mounted under my center console so that I have to have it open to fill my main tank. That way it helps me not to forget to shut it off. It takes about an hour to fill main tank from aux. And when it gets full it simply goes thru the return line to aux. tank if I forget to shut it off.
I was going to run this tank seperate by splicing into main fuel line and that would work with my 03 model with the lift pump mounted at fuel filter but I am planning to install a FASS pump and it would have made it tricky to plumb that way. So I chose to run everything "thru" my main tank so that any modifications I make in the future will work fine. You can get a kit for about $250 bucks like mine from Dually Depot in Elkhart,Indiana. They are on County Road 6. Just do a search in the yellow pages. Their kit comes with all the line and switch etc. to install complete swstem. But you can do it cheaper if you make your own filler neck tube and get a universal fuel pump from AutoZone. Just be sure to get hose that will hold up to diesel fuel. Not all hose does, and most auto stores do not know this and try to sell you regular hose that will only last a year or so. Dually Depot will sell you just the 3 port valve if you want and I will tell you it is a must. The fuel will never stop filling even with the pump off without it. I didn't believe it at first but it is true. I suppose a ball valve would also work but it would not be easy to shut that off going down the highway.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm planning on fabbing a stainless steel auxilliary fuel tank where the muffler and cat used to be, and running a tee from the stock filler hose and another for the stock vent tube. Then mounting an aftermarket pusher pump on the auxilliary to feed a parallel fuel line to the filter housing. I don't like the rough edges of the system's design, though.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran my line to the top of the fuel tank canister, there is an aux. hook up port for the stock tank. Just pop the rubber cap off and connect your new line, if I remember right it will except a 5/16 line. I use a ball valve and a small fuel pump. I can fill the stock tank using the pump or just leave the ball valve open with no pump and fuel will still flow to the stock tank without issue of over flowing.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run two 12gal HDPE plastic tanks under the bed for aux fuel. I ran hose up from my tanks to the cab and switched the feed and return with fuel switches from frybrid. Makes it real easy to switch over on the go. I have some pollak fuel switches that never even got used if anyone wants em! 3/8" and 5/16" lines on each, so perfect for this application. I didnt use them because they dont work well with hot fuel and the truck is going vegetarian soon. You could even run two and use the return briefly to move fuel from one tank to the other along with a fuel level gauge if you wanted.
I also have a holley blue pump I bought and didnt use.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:51 PM

Here is how I did mine.
I put 2 tee's in the 3/4 line that vents the main fuel tank. One is from the aux tank to the truck tank, the other tee is to vent the aux tank.
So far I have been unsuccessful in finding a 12v valve so I can dump fuel into my truck tank from the comfort of the driver's seat. I also have plumbed in a filter since these pics were taken

Old 10-25-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's that spoiler-thingy on your roof?
Old 10-25-2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
What's that spoiler-thingy on your roof?
It is a wing from a Chrysler Sebring (I think)
I know it is oem for a Dodge/Chrysler car

Quick Reply: how to plumb auxillary tank?