General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

How not to drive up a snowy mountain road (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How not to drive up a snowy mountain road (pics)

So the other day I decided to take the truck up in the mountains and try out the new fly rod in some lakes. After about half a day of puddle jumping in the mountains I decided to head to a bigger lake about 35 miles from where I live. So, by myself I followed the directions of some other fisherman I had saw earlier in the day and headed to the lake. At first the road started out like a standard gravel road. Then it turned to about half snow/ice and gravel.

So I figured yeah, there will be a few rough/snowy spots. I mean I was about 8,200 feet above sea level. A few more miles up the road it turned into mostly ice and snow. The nice and wet stuff.

By this time I was starting to question the direction I had recieved from some local people. So I got decided to walk the road a little bit farther and see if there was any end to the snow.

There wasn't. So in my infinite wisdom I decided to try and turn around and head back down the mountain and it just didnt happen.

Once I had managed to spin and slide myself into the ditch I got out and started shovelling with my five dollar plastic walmart shovel. Heck of a shovell to be honest with you guys. It was the kind with the retractable handle so it would fit nicely in a tool box. But, after this last encounter I will probably pick up a larger, metal shovel.

But, I spent the better part of 2 hours digging around the truck trying to set her free. It wouldnt have it. So, I started to walk of shame down the mountain to find some help. I had only made it 2 miles when I ran into some locals that helped me out.

We drove down the mountain to pick up a second truck just to be safe and a few hours later we got her out. I have lots of other pics if anybody is interested. The website would not let me load any others.

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails How not to drive up a snowy mountain road (pics)-trail-1.jpg   How not to drive up a snowy mountain road (pics)-trail-2.jpg   How not to drive up a snowy mountain road (pics)-trail-4.jpg   How not to drive up a snowy mountain road (pics)-trail-7.jpg   How not to drive up a snowy mountain road (pics)-trail-9.jpg  

Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 PM

wow that looks like it sucked....looks like it time for a 4.5 lift and 38's
Old 05-27-2008, 09:45 PM

been there done that. Heavy trucks and snow don't mix well...

I have beached mine on hard packed snow in MI several times..

Bryan
Old 05-27-2008, 09:47 PM

yeah i am adding that to the wish list along with a very big winch All of which I will be accepting donations for. But yeah. It was not goin anywhere without any help. The guy that pulled me out had a dodge (thank god it wasnt a ford) 1500. It took an awful lot of shovelling to get that truck to even rock forwards and backwards
Old 05-27-2008, 09:50 PM

No they dont mix too well. Especially when under the layer of ice I was drivin on breaks and there is 8 inches of runnin water above the gravel on the road.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:04 PM

this is bringing up horrible memories of last weekend...but mud
Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 PM

yah cummins and mud, deep snow, don't mix well at all, i found that out the hard way, if you want to wheel a cummins make sure to have at least 37's or 38's and a 4.5" lift and 10,000lb winch. i'll tell where cummins are really good, sand,rock crawling, hill climbs,
Old 05-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Chapter President

OK so you were stuck, did you get any fish? Just wondering if the journey was completed.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Been there done that with the getting stuck. We have some property that I was working on towing a chipper. Got in fine in the morning but coming out it had warmed up and thawed out the top layer of frozen. Sunk up to the axles in the mud with a large chipper in tow. Had to walk out a ways to the closest neighbor. Their darn dog bit me to add insult to injury. Didnt even go on their property just hollered from the road since they were in sight. Got a wrecker up there I was only about 30 feet from the road. That thing had a heck of a time getting me out. It kept lifting up his truck. It was quite funny really since when he first got there he said no problem have you out in 5 minutes. An hour later, 10 repositionings and some road damage from him getting dragged backwards. When he would winch it in his truck just kept getting lift and then dragged backwards.

Now since the poster got stuck for wanting to go fishing, here is what I got last weekend up in the hills at over 10k elev hitting the ice one last time caught this 30 inch bad boy. I am sure it doesnt compare to what some of you have reeled in but my personal best through the ice.
Attached Thumbnails How not to drive up a snowy mountain road (pics)-friday-fish-005.jpg  
Old 05-28-2008, 08:36 AM

Haha Stover your truck looked a little differant when i saw it lastnight. Atleast you didnt get a $500 dollar ticket.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:36 AM

yeah it was a complete weekend. I got to try out a predator for my truck and my 35's held up ok, i didnt even get stuck, but i had to pull out like 3 people. oh and forgot my brand new fly fishin rod at home
Old 05-28-2008, 02:25 PM

Location: Ordered to Elizabeth City NC. rather be back in north Idaho
If you don't want to get stuck, I'd highly recommend a winch first and foremost!!! All 4.5" and 38s will do for you is get you stuck in places even harder to get to. You can't beat a winch tho! Also a Hi-Lift with the winching kit. Got me out of many a sticky spot in my Rover!

IMHO

Ed
Old 05-28-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've always operated under the assumption that you can get stuck with a truck, really stuck with 4x4, and downright impossibly stuck with a winch. Don't even ask about what happens when you have a second truck along to help you have fun.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:45 PM

Ive been there. The first day I got my truck I went to my buddies house to show it off and got stuck on his road that was wet snow, so dont feel bad it happens to all of us.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:22 PM

I might be interpreting the pictures wrong but the surface looks hard enough to me that the problem prior to going in the ditch had nothing to do with tire size. It looks to me like tire chains would have been the answer in this situation. I don't use them very often but when chains are needed, nothing else will substitute, not even a winch(you just swing to the lowest point the cable will go to).

Quick Reply: How not to drive up a snowy mountain road (pics)