General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

How do your tires work on snow & ice ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im running BFG M/T's and do so because very good past experience on snow and sand.
Im happy with their over all performance on snow.
However, Ive had a few situations this year where the M/T's did nothing for me on the ice.
Then again, in each of the ice situations, Im pretty sure anything short of spikes would have had the same, useless results.

Rich.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually stick to the MTs because thats what im used to. If i decide to drive off road a little its good to know my tires will perform for me. As far as ice and snow they are like slicks on ice but cant be beat in snow. As long as you factor in the sliding on the ice you will be fine. Of course im also used to driving stuff with a welded rearend so i always count on sliding.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:46 PM

I ran General Grabber MT's on 3 trucks in the past including my previous CTD and I never got stuck with them in the snow. They always climbed any hill I pointed the truck up too, and I live in a valley so we've got some decent hills. On the CTD I used a 235/85/16 to help cut through the snow and it seemed to work. On my present CTD I have Kumho Road Venture MT's and while they've been good as far as traction they wore out much quicker than the Generals did. Unfortunately it looks like the Generals are no longer made so I'll have to find another tire for next winter since these Kumho's are almost worn out.

John
Old 02-04-2007, 11:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have GoodYear wranglers, soft wall 4-ply. They look scary, and the max pressure is 52 psi. When I bought the truck they were at 35 psi and I brought it up to 45, but they still look a bit puffy. Any more pressure and they start wearing down the middle. But I have to say, they sure grip in the snow! Must be the combination of the width and low pressure, but I drive through knee deep snow like on the pavement, and occasional 2 foot drifts don't matter. I was thinking of getting different tires when these wear out (kind of expensive to replace) but I am getting to really like them in the winter! I will probably be getting the same, maybe an 8 ply though because I am a bit worried to tow with 4-plies.
-P
Old 02-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Banned

I've been quite impressed with how the Toyo Open Country M/Ts have handled deep snow and compact snow and ice. A little sketchy on glare ice and black ice, but that is to be expected from just about anything short of a dedicated ice tire or the use of studs or chains.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Begle1
How much does that cost, Bill?

If you say it works, I might have to look into it...
I pay $10 per new tire at Les Schwab. Don't know if Schwab is in Calif.
Think they might charge a couple bucks more for used tires since they have to pick the rocks out first.

I used to run studs in the winter, believe me siping is just as good.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
I really like my mastercraft courser c/t's. Cant beat em for the $. A little more agressive than an A/T tire, but not an MT. I dont really have much to compare to on ice, but I have been down to the shop a few times in the snow this year, and I havent needed 4wd yet. they seem to be wearing pretty good too.

Eric
nice tires, where'd ya pick those up, price??
Old 02-05-2007, 01:32 PM

Ive got BFG A/T KO 285's on my truck right now and hate them. I've never really liked BFG tires but they were on the truck when I bought it. These things SUCK in mud, snow, etc. The tires fill up in two seconds flat and it's like running full slicks. On top of that they're wearing really bad even with rotation every 3k miles. They're getting swapped out as soon as one of them is worn enough to justify replacement...
Old 02-05-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I wear out the stock tires I will have mine new ones siped being we can't have studs on our tires here in IA
Old 02-05-2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
When I wear out the stock tires I will have mine new ones siped being we can't have studs on our tires here in IA
Umm, since when? I used to run 'em all the time, still hear them going around town alot.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:41 PM

Yokahoma geolander plus 2 in a 235/85. This things have worked great in snow, the only time I slip is when I'm on a sheet of ice (and even then they eventually make ruts, if its in a place like my apt's parking lot) or when I goose it . I've put about 7000 miles on these tires and they are a godsend, they have outperformed everyone who I duck hunt with, good manners on the road, and great performance when wet. I'm sticking with these tires from here on out, and will hopefully get around to writing a good review on them when I get to 20k or so.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IA_James
Umm, since when? I used to run 'em all the time, still hear them going around town alot.
You may hear them but I don't think they will have IA plates on the car/truck. My cousin works for the County and when I was getting ready to moved back to IA he informed me that we can't have studded tires and to also leave my snow chains behind. So far in the 2 years I have been back home I have yet to see anyone with IA plates with studs or chains on there car/truck.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmph... I have BFG AT-KO on my ride and they seem to work good for me. I had Yokohama SuperDigger 5's before and they wore down pretty quick. I find I use 4WD a little less using the BFG's. I like em..

You know, having 285's on stock rims could be the problem. Fat, ballooned tires don't do well for grip on ice or snow and will wear terribly. The stock '94 rims were only rated for 245's (6.5" rim). Newer tires won't be any better.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:33 PM

I have been in love with my Sumitomos (255/70R22.5) and they hav worked VERY well in all of the bad conditions. I run the fronts at 65psi and the rears at 25psi. I am upgrading to the even nicer Goodyear G164s (295/75R22.5).

Old 02-07-2007, 03:15 PM

The BFG TAs that came on my truck haven't impressed me at all. They are OK on dry roads but mediocre on anything else. I'd like to get a set of 17" YKS A/Ts as shown on my Dakota (235 x 15) that were D or E rated for my CTD. These tires are just plain awesome in deep snow, mud or slush and are siped for good ice performance as well. I think they are made in S. Korea and they were pretty cheap to buy. I've got a pair on a 2WD 1/2 ton that have 20,000+ on them and they still bite good. I'll probably go with the Toyo Geolanders when it's time as they have a pattern that looks like it's an all-around performer like the YKS.

Quick Reply: How do your tires work on snow & ice ?