General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

How do your tires work on snow & ice ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do your tires work on snow & ice ?

With all of the winter storms I was wondering how people are faring with their tires. From what I've seen so far:

snow isn't a big deal as long as it's not too deep, my crummy stock Michelins did fine in prior winters,

packed snow and ice on level ground can be a problem with sock tires,

packed snow and ice on hills is a problem with the stock Michelins,

cold, hard, smooth ice on level ground can be a problem,

'soft ice' close to freezing, especially water covered, is a big problem.

A friend has done fine so far with BFG A/Ts on his truck but I don't think he's been on soft ice yet. I've seen 4wd Jeeps with BFG A/Ts stall on the steep street our house is on and start sliding backwards. Coworkers in larger Fords also had problems with their BFG A/Ts on soft ice.

I've been running studded Cooper M+S for three season now, and they've done well on everything except water covered ice, but I have done ok on the interstate on smooth ice close to freezing. It helps to have two to three sand tubes in the bed. I still carry chains, square link Lacledes, as I've needed them going up the hill that we live on when driving on water covered ice. I plan on studded Nokian Hakka LTs for the next set of winter tires.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that my tires are the stock tires from 2002. They are doing ok but after this summer I will likely be investing in some new tires come fall. I run AT tires year round
Old 02-04-2007, 04:31 PM

I run Nokian Vatiivas on my truck. Lots of siping in them, but they are still an all-season tire. They are great in all weather conditions. I find it a lot more sure footed than a truck running BFG A/Ts. When these tires wear out, I'll be buying another set. Might go to some 265s though, just for looks.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:40 PM

Pro Comp AT's are WAAAYYYYYY better than the Stock Michelins that I have ran on the last 3 Dodges 3/4 tons!! Aired down ='s great traction!
Old 02-04-2007, 04:47 PM

I made a trip to MI from Va last weekend, and the bridgestone dualler at revo's did much better than I expected.

I was pulling an empty 24 ft gn out, and loaded on the way back (18,500 total), and only had tire spin 1 time, and that was starting to move uphill in a mcd's parking lot that had ice under the snow. I had also had to park in a tight turn, so it was harder to get moving. They spun for about 2 ft in 1st gear then hooked up. This was in 2wd. I drove thru up to a foot of snow with no problems.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:09 PM

Toyo Open Country A/T's or me. It was winter when the truck was picked up and the diffrence between the stock Michellins and Toyos was night and day.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I'm only in snow maybe 2% of my trucks life and my Remington Wide Brute RV tires left me spinning on a snow filled drive way. Friends 1/2 ton ford had to pull me out.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
I run Nokian Vatiivas on my truck. Lots of siping in them, but they are still an all-season tire. They are great in all weather conditions. I find it a lot more sure footed than a truck running BFG A/Ts. When these tires wear out, I'll be buying another set. Might go to some 265s though, just for looks.
if going to the 265s are there any changes that I would need to make
Old 02-04-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Siping makes any tire into a good snow/ice tire. I'm running siped Toyo H/T, highway tire with very non aggressive straight treads. No problem at all on hills with the worst condition- water on compact snow and ice.
Siping is as good as studs plus will make your tires run cooler and last longer.
Can be done on a used tire.
More info> http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos
Old 02-04-2007, 05:56 PM

mine run the same as always----they go round and round

actually ,i have the ameri trac generals that came on the truck. as long as i am towing and have weight on the rear end they do ok---take the weight off and they go nowhere on a little ice and snow
Old 02-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by infidel
Siping makes any tire into a good snow/ice tire. I'm running siped Toyo H/T, highway tire with very non aggressive straight treads. No problem at all on hills with the worst condition- water on compact snow and ice.
Siping is as good as studs plus will make your tires run cooler and last longer.
Can be done on a used tire.
More info> http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos
How much does that cost, Bill?

If you say it works, I might have to look into it...
Old 02-04-2007, 06:44 PM

I have the Toyo MT's and they have been real impressive in snow and mud . My driveway is solid ice and up hill and this is the first truck I have ever owned to make it out in 2 wheel drive when in that condition . They have about 15,000 on them now and they show very little wear and I hope they will wear good but I have my doubts with such an aggressive tread .
Old 02-04-2007, 06:44 PM

You can get a siping/grooving tool for tires. 4x4 shops would have these. Just a heated blade. Takes a while. Depends how much your time is worth.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:49 PM

These have worked real well in snow, ice...nothing but studs really work on smooth ice. They are now down to about 1/8" of tread and still work pretty good. Cooper STT
Old 02-04-2007, 07:33 PM

I really like my mastercraft courser c/t's. Cant beat em for the $. A little more agressive than an A/T tire, but not an MT. I dont really have much to compare to on ice, but I have been down to the shop a few times in the snow this year, and I havent needed 4wd yet. they seem to be wearing pretty good too.

Eric

Quick Reply: How do your tires work on snow & ice ?