General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

How do I get the white wax out of my black textured bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I get the white wax out of my black textured bumper?

I polished & waxed my 07 QC with an orbital buffer and I seem to have hit a couple spots on the black textured areas like the bumper and door handles. It looks terrible and doesn't come off with the car wash soap. What works best to get rid of it?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used a old toothbrush or a paint brush with the bristles cut short, ususally worked for me.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a product I used this fall, I can't remember exactly but it was something with ICE. Someone on this site loved it it is a spray type of way that can be used on paint & plastics. I remember he mentioned about spraying it on the plastic on his truck steps and about killed himself slipping all over . I used it this fall to get some wax off that rough textured plastic bed rails and it worked. I am at work but will look for it and let you know probably tomorrow. The snow salt and junk on the road can hardly see the color of the truck, let alone detail the outside . I'm tired of winter already have a month to go yet for temperatures to start going up.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:01 AM

ICE is made by Turtle Wax. They have a paste version too, I like it a lot better than the spray. You can get it all over the plastic pieces and they turn out looking good. After I accidentally got some on the trim I decided it helped it look new again and waxed the trim/mirrors and everything. I did not wax the tread on top of the rear bumper or my step bars.

Last time I was at walmart they had ICE in both versions.

They also have a liquid clay bar but I've heard its not the best.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Banned

Armour All and a tooth brush looks like new.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:12 AM

I use a product called Mothers Back to Black. Works pretty good.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:56 AM

I took mine to a restoration/detail shop that DOES NOT use armoral on ANYTHING. I had also gotten some wax on the front bumper cover. They got it out without using any silicone. Sorry, not sure how they did it, but its possible. I have since decided that the bumper cover would look better if it were painted the same blue as the upper part of the truck, thats in the works!!!!
Old 12-15-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
if you don't mind a small amount of work. Use fast orange, or other liquid hand cleaners with pumice in them. put some on the bumper cover or whatever you may have issues with, including the dash, and use a medium bristle brush, or a good cloth to rub it in. The pumice will clean the texture, and the carrier agent takes the stuff away, then simply wash with soap and water, and treat with a protectant of your choice.

This stuff can also work on pesky bugs on the chrome bumper, and so on.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:59 AM

never tried it but in another thread on here someone mentioned Peanut butter.. one day I am going to try it... (have to buy the peanut butter first...
Old 12-15-2007, 02:49 PM

there are lots of new wax products out there that don't leave any white residue. meguire's nxt generation is pretty good and covers up swirls and scratches well.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:59 PM

try mother's back to black to get it out.

and next time simply clean and protect the plastic trim before waxing. then while waxing carry a cloth in your pocket and when you see some wax on the plastic it, wipe it with the cloth. it works very well for me when i use 303 protectant. when done waxing, go over the plastic trim with a mildly damp cloth to make it look solid and to get rid of any greasy smear marks.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:02 PM

oh just a note for future reference. . .

don't protect your tonneau with plastic/vinyl protectant (especially if rain is forecasted)! i did this and it looked really good, then one week later it rained and i had drip marks running all the way down my tailgate and rear fenders! it came off easily with a wash, but it sure looked terrible before i got a cance to wash it!
Old 12-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

I took mine to a restoration/detail shop that DOES NOT use armoral on ANYTHING.
This is true. Friends don't let friends use Amor All (just like friends don't let friends watch Friends). Use a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant. Unlike Amor All, it gives UV protection from harmful sun rays while giving a nice shine that's not overdone like AA. I have a Cat Raft and use it on the tubes after each trip. I also use it in all my cars.

I did the exact same thing that you did. There is a great detail forum site just like this one that we are on. http://autopia.org/forum/index.php They are a great wealth of info. But be warned, if you're **** about your autos the site can be very adictive. I ended up buying a full rotary buffer and a bunch of pads. Just do a search. I did not try the peanut butter but read that it works. I did get decent results though with WD40.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Next time do a little preventative to help in the clean up. What I do is masking tape up stuff like this. Don't have to press down hard on it all. Just enough to protect the trim stuff. Works every time. Oh, and I normally use an old sheet for the wipers and cowl panel just be careful with your buffer not to ****** it off.....
Old 12-16-2007, 05:44 AM

Black Magic takes wax off of black plastic trim. It's a very thick clear protectant that lasts for weeks. Be careful with it if you have plastic covered running boards. A few people almost fell trying to get into my truck!

Quick Reply: How do I get the white wax out of my black textured bumper?