General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Home fuel supply tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home fuel supply tank

Does anyone have a fuel tank at home? I'm thinking of getting a 300-500 gallon tank for home storage. I'm not talking about using off-road fuel here. I just want to be able to buy 300 gallons of #2 road fuel at a time when the fuel prices are at their lowest. I'm tired of this fluctuating price deal. It seems to cycle up and down every few months. It seems to go from $1.20 to $1.60. The difference is $120.00 on 300 gallons. It wouldn't take long to pay for the tank at that rate.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:16 PM
Jrr

Re:Home fuel supply tank

I have 2, the big thing to remember is have a good micron filter and water separator on your pump. Heating and cooling cycles build a lot of moisture in the tank. Moisture in tanks that are not used frequently in the wrong climate can lead to algae which is hell on a fuel system.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:46 PM

I was thinkin' the same thing last night. I figured If I got a 275 gallon tank and put it in the garage, I could bring a 5 gallon can with me at each fill during the "cheap season" and fill my tank at home. Problem is at that rate, it would take me year to fill it! Are there places that would deliver taxed diesel fuel to your house. Also, you'd have to depreciate the cost of the tank, pump, and filter. May not be worth the trouble.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:58 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Not to mention the call to your Homeowner's Insurance company.<br>Uh...hello.....I'd like to start storing about 300gals of diesel fuel in my garage........what will that do to my premiums? <br>Yeah, I know it's the same thing as a storage tank for an oil fired furnace......but they're still gonna [glow=red, 2, 300]freak[/glow].
Old 11-20-2002, 05:10 PM

Yea the fire dept dont like that to much in the house thing<br>I get 55gal drums of 110 race gas for the moto cross bike but I leave it at the shop with all the tile.<br><br>I have heard that if you stored a lot of gas or fuel with out a good reason and if your house burns down or worse a fireman dies because of the fuel in the house thats a big risk for a few bucks to save.<br><br>But I see tanks on land like 50-75 feet away that may work but I would call to make sure but thats just me.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:36 PM
Chapter President

We have Two tanks one with off road diesel with a filter and hose and nozzle thats mounted on a stand of course its padlocked (made a mistake and filled my dodge once)<br><br>We also have another for on road diesel tank set up the same way.<br><br>My fuel delievery company delievers and fills both tanks for us the on road diesel tank is filled from a truck that also delivers to the hiway dept and the fire dept....find out who has the contract to deliever to these depts they will deliever to you also.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had considered it a while back when I had two diesels cause I get heating oil delivered to the house which is died #2 diesel. I can get on road fuel delivered but the delivery man said it would only save me maybe 1 or 2 cents per gallon. Long term diesel fuel storage is a problem since their is some kind of algae that loves to live in diesel fuel once it sets a while and collects moisture. We had that problem at work in one of the 100000 gallon emergency diesel tanks and it cost us huge bucks to have someone come in and clean it up through various filters and such. The cetane level also drops and it doesn't burn as clean after stored for a while.<br><br>I guess the bottom line here is that unless you get a real good deal on the fuel, get a real good deal on the tank and pump, want another set of filters to change out, have a decent place to store the tank away from building structures, and use a lot of fuel to where you turn a tank over real quick, it is just not worth it.<br><br>Just my opinion and findings over the years. I know, I hate the price fluctuations and the sky high prices in the winter time too. The law of supply and demand definately plays us here.

Trending Topics

Old 11-20-2002, 08:17 PM

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=8;threadid=7316;start=0#70150 date=1037833096]
........Yeah, I know it's the same thing as a storage tank for an oil fired furnace......but they're still gonna freak.
[/quote]

I had (2) 275 gallon &quot;oil&quot; tanks side by side in my old house, and it didn't seem to be a problem with the building inspector when he issued us the occupancy permit to move in. Maybe it's not allowed in new construction today. 'Course, I often think of the 40+ gallons of gasoline in the tanks of our car and my old truck parked there too...... :
Old 11-20-2002, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPI<br><br>same folks that bring us furnace oil, bring us bulk gasoline (we still have a gas powered tractor, actually two) and a gas powered combine etc, they also bring us coloured diesel for tractors, skidsteer etc. they will also bring clear &quot;taxed&quot; diesel as well.<br><br>Actually my Uncle drives the delivery truck, so we get it pronto if we start to run low ;D<br><br>also, he lets us know if he hears the price is going to jump up.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:29 AM

as far as fuel tanks go-paint them white(reflect the suns heat) and make sure they have a vent(so they wont explode with rising temps) and consult your local FIRE DEPT. they should be more than happy to help you as they shoul know adout city or county ordinances pertaining to tanks and hazardous materials. if no info there try looking up nfpa(national fire protection association) they regulate national fire/building/and haz-mat codes also if it is a fixed location and holds over 1000 POUNDS of fuel youo will need to place a NFPA 704 PLACKARD on the tank
Old 11-30-2002, 11:05 AM

I have a 300 gallon tank at the farm that we fill our tractors with and our old 97' 12-valve with, haven't been fillin up the newer trucks out of it though. I think that would be asking for trouble. The tank stays outside and I change the filter about 1-2 times a year. It is very convenient for the tractors but I'd rather fuel up the trucks at a station.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:28 PM

One more thing to consider.....Don't used galvanized pipe for your connections. Not good for diesel to sit for extended periods in galvanized tank/pipe. I'm sure there will be some flame/arguments here but<br><br>http://www.4unique.com/fuel/storage.htm<br><br>has some good tips on fuel storage systems. I know about the galvanized from the marine applications.