General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

HIGH IDLE OPTION

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HIGH IDLE OPTION

While I was installing the latest toy on the truck, I had to unbolt the throttle cable housing and it looks pretty simple. On the older military trucks a throttle cable pull was standard on the dash. You just pull it out to where you want it set at and twist it to lock it into place. Is there some reason that a cable couldn't be run to the throttle connection and attached just behind the gas pedal on the same pulley. that would serve the same purpose as the stick but be much more dependable and adjustable. I may be way off base here I don't even pretend to know all of the mechanics, but JC whitney has the cable sytems for just a few dollars.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:HIGH IDLE OPTION

I've had DC try to fix my high idle warm up feature 5 times and it still wont work so for $75 they did just exactly that. They took a industrial cable throttle, drilled a hole just left of the ash tray and then drilled a hole into the foot feed at the top. Wire then goes through that hole and the cable end goes on about 1/2" of slack, amazing it works just as good as the one on my 91. I may replace it here soon with the better model out of a big truck as the dash panel is not screwed at that point just pressure fit and you cant pull it out to set it without moving the panel about 1/4". The vernier throttle just screws out in counter clockwise direction until the desired rpm, to release just push on the center button and it releases. I think your right it is a whole lot more convenient than fiddling around with a stick and the seat. PK
Old 12-10-2002, 09:50 PM
yz

I think I might have to look into somthing like that. I am getting tired of a work boot and maglite flash light. -Anthony
Old 12-15-2002, 08:02 PM

Well I have been a happy owner of a locking throttle for over a year now, wouldn't be without one. Up home where one might keep his engine Idling for long periods its almost a must to my way of thinking. That way you can set it up to idle around 1000 to 1100 or what ever you want. Works like a charm.

Especialy below zero weather when you go shopping I just lock it up and things stay nice and warm. Its not good for them to Idle to long around 600, or what ever.

I put my cable through the firewall and down to the pump on my 95. Like I said "I wouldn't be without one.

Robert
Old 12-17-2002, 05:30 PM

I want to install a cable option as I have a compressor and would like to build more air pressure when outside filling tires or running air tools. Where do you hook up the cable on the pump? Or where else can you hook up to rev the r's more?
Old 12-17-2002, 06:06 PM

Look under the dash where throttle peddle extends up from the foot pad, drill a hole 1/64 larger than the cable from the hand throttle. Put cable stop on back side of throttle pivot arm with 1/4" slack, cut cable shield back 2" or enough for full travel of throttle linkage. Mine was a twist and lock but changed to a true vernier hand throttle. On the 2001 we mounted the throttle just right of the steering column in the dash, there is a spot that when you drill misses everything (1/2" hole). Unlimited settings and DC cant reprogram it. PK
Old 12-18-2002, 12:13 PM

Kennedy, you got a pic. I would like to see that. I am going to put one in this weekend. WHere did you get the cable at?
Old 12-18-2002, 01:33 PM

Sorry unfortunately I dont have a picture but it is fairly simple, by the steering column on the bottom is a panel that drops down on a hinge. Flip this down and you should see the metal sub frame of the dash board, go back to the drop panel and the ear on the right that extends up. Pilot hole is drilled 1-1/8" from right edge and 3/4" down from top edge, drill pilot hole with panel in up position with 1/8" bit. Drop panel back down and pilot hole should have gone all the way through another layer of plastic and 1 metal. Make hole in drop panel same size as throttle mount ( buy first ) secondary hole should be made with 1" metal hole saw and when finished edge of hole should be just on or left of vertical ridge on dash panel plastic molding. With this hole you will be able to see to the firewall just above throttle pedal linkage. Next remove linkage on floor with the foot pad, when you look at it holding foot pad towards you drill 1/8" hole for throttle wire 1/2" from top of bracket (centered l to r) reinstall. After drilling hole in drop panel to fit hand throttle unit set in and install lock nut on back with wire/casing end fed through hole in dash. Close panel completely and lay on floor under steering column looking up, hold cable up to throttle linkage near hole as straight as reasonable and mark 1-11/4" past linkage towards firewall. Take assembly all backout and cut at that mark and then 5" farther cut casing carefully as not nick internal wire. Re-install throttle assembly in dash with lock nut in place, close panel tight and go back underneath. Look up-feed wire through small hole at top of linkage and put on cable stop (brass with set screw) about 1/4-1/2" back side of linkage. Fuel peddle should travel freely on wire without binding,gently try hand throttle and lock gently as they dont need much to hold them. IF everything seems right start truck and test throttle's- "Note do not open panel with engine running"- If the foot feed binds, gently bend inner wire ia a curve so that wire is basically at 90 degrees to linkage at idle position. Sounds complicated but it is not and should take about 2 hours approx. to install. If you need details as you go I shall not be far. PK P.S. Throttles available at most large truck dealers, farm supply or indutrial parts counters.