General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Help! I have a 13,000# + 5th wheele and need used affordable tow

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! I have a 13,000# + 5th wheele and need used affordable tow

I live in Van Nuys, CA. My new rig is sitting in my driveway (new Sierra F30CKSS w/ 3 slides) and I need to pull out mid (next) week. What do I HAVE to require and where should I start/look? Ready to roll and gratefull for anything. Is there any 2500 that will do (2002 3/4 ton Cummins Quad Cab Ram for (with 5th wheel hitch/100K miles) approx $22K?) I know I don't need a 4X4 but they are more plentiful. Thanks. Sharsha
Old 02-17-2005, 10:10 PM

Welcome to DTR. 13,000lbs is the decision point for the dually or singe rear wheel (SRW), if it is 13,000 dry I'd say just get the dually. Even though the SRW can handle it, the dually will be much more stable pulling in wind or those lovely vacuum pockets caused by semis. Once you got a good towing rig, only other big concern is stopping the trailer. The best brake booster out there is the BrakeSmart, but for about a third of the price you can get a Jordan brake booster. I don't think you can really go wrong with either of those boosters.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:54 PM

Sharsha:
Wow.... now that’s the epitome of putting the cart before the horse.
I believe you should definitely go with the DRW 3500. There are a lot of them around our area. Better to have a truck that can for sure handle it than one that is marginal.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Banned

I agree. Pulling trailers with duals makes more diffence that you would think, especially over 10K. Go for it. I just bought a Tekonsha Prodogy brake controller and I love it. It was $106 online and worth every penny. Don't spend only $75 on a controller. They stink to say it nicely.

The 2x4 truck is rated to pull more load than the equally equipped 4x4, but who listens to them or their ratings. I gross #28,000 several times a year. You just have to know how to drive and control your rig. Getting going is always easy, the stopping and stopping where you want to is the hard part. Get a DRW.

Hope I've at least helped you a bit.

Don't skimp on the horse and your cart will be fine.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:27 PM

"3K GSK, 16° Timing, BHAF, OuterWears, Boost Controller, No Silencer Ring, Mod. Valve Bod.,Dead KDP,ISSPROs, EGT,Boost,Trans Temp,Mag-Hytec,AmsOil,3.55 LSD, Big Brake Cylinders, #10 plate waiting till I get a new converter, Almost forgot: Genos Cup Smoothie..!!!"

What the heck does all this mean? It's Greek to me . . . The rig is almost #14K full (of every possible thing). Sharsha
Old 02-17-2005, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by Sharsha
"3K GSK, 16° Timing, BHAF, OuterWears, Boost Controller, No Silencer Ring, Mod. Valve Bod.,Dead KDP,ISSPROs, EGT,Boost,Trans Temp,Mag-Hytec,AmsOil,3.55 LSD, Big Brake Cylinders, #10 plate waiting till I get a new converter, Almost forgot: Genos Cup Smoothie..!!!"

What the heck does all this mean? It's Greek to me . . . The rig is almost #14K full (of every possible thing). Sharsha

Welcome to our world!!! Come on in the water is fine. We hardly ever bite either. Hang around awhile and you will pick this stuff up pretty quickly. Click on the button at the top of the page "Tech Facts" there is a lot of info in there.
Oh almost forgot.... glad to know you want a Cummins diesel that’s for sure the right decision.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Sharsha
I'd say get a dually then, a trip is no fun with white knuckles everytime a semi goes by.

3K GSK= ups governer speed
16° Timing= fuel mileage and power increase
BHAF= big honkin air filter
OuterWears= installed on air filter
Boost Controller= more boost => lower egts
No Silencer Ring= more turbo whistle
Mod. Valve Bod.= higher pressure, more power capability of auto tranny
Dead KDP= flaw which a pin falls out into the timing gear, very low chances of it happening but very expensive to fix if it does
ISSPROs= gauge manufacturer
EGT,Boost,Trans Temp= type of gauges
Mag-Hytec= high capacity cover
AmsOil= favorite oil
3.55 LSD= highway geared with posi
Big Brake Cylinders= better braking out of the rear drums, only applicable to pre 2001.5
#10 plate waiting till I get a new converter= fuel plate => more power
Old 02-18-2005, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the 5th wheel is going to gross out around 14K, you'll want the GVWR of the dually due to the high pin weight (probably around 2800 lbs) of the 5th wheel. Our new 5th wheel (see signature) is 16K GVWR - haven't had it over the scales yet, but our previous 13,500 lb 5th wheel had a pin weight of 2700 lbs - 20% of total trailer weight is fairly typical for pin weight of a 5th wheel RV.

Rusty
Old 02-19-2005, 09:02 PM

Thank you so much, diesel folks! I headed for Canyon Country (Santa Clarita, CA) yesterday and ended up buying a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500. It's funny, I am not a car person. I don't care about cars -- as long as it is 100% dependable, safe and comfy. . . well, my truck is a Bad A-- truck! It has completely changed me! I am in love withit! It is loud and I love that sound -- I feel SO powerful! I feel like I have been driving it my whole life and just 1 day after purchase, I needed a truck (big flood in San Fernando Valley). I am settled in to being a Dodge (Cummins) owner. I will let you know how it handles when I pull my rig (30' Sierra F30CKSS 5th wheel) out of my driveway nest week. Excited and loving it, Sharsha
Old 02-19-2005, 09:05 PM

Oh, it is a 2 wheel drive. No dually. I just couldn't get everything I wanted and find the perfect one. I trust God, so we will see what happens. I'll check into the brake situation. Thanks. Sharsha
Old 02-19-2005, 09:17 PM

Cool. You really did not have much time to shop did you?
Fill out your signature with your trucks specs.
Congrats on the purchase. I am sure you will love it.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:47 PM

I have actually been truck shopping for weeks. Stand by for specs (and I do already love it!). Sharsha