Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Hate a car now

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hate a car now

Let me tell ya, I've had to drive a car a couple times in the last couple weeks due to the truck being apart/ serviced and let me tell ya, I can't stand driving a car now. One was a Acura TL and the other a new v6 charger, both autos.

#1 You have to give them so much throttle just to keep speed going up hills
#2 Too smooth a ride for my taste- I want to feel the road not float in a bubble
#3 Autos sux
#4 They don't get the respect on the road that the truck gets- more tailgaters and crazys

Am I alone on this one? A car is easier to park, but I'm always so glad to get back into the truck
Old 12-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Banned

#4 for sure cant say that enough
Old 12-01-2006, 04:14 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I prefer the views from the truck, I prefer having the smoke screen capability for tailgaters...But the ease of zipping in and out of lanes in my Mustang comes pretty close in satisfaction.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

I don't know bud ... a car has its application. My Corolla, aside from the wind noise like I'm driving in a hurricane, is one sweet ride. Quiet (sans the wind noise), quick enough, fun to drive, decent radio, nearly 40 mpg, comfortable ride, no LP to fail, , but no straight 6 with straight pipe!

#1 - I would agree with you but my Corolla is a 5 speed and is only like 2,500 lbs, its no drag car but the power is more than sufficient. No big throttle pushes up hills. And you want to coast? Even in gear, that engine spins so freely, its like every rotating part in the engine is on ball bearings. Now at first, I didn't like it so much, I wanted more engine braking. But got to liking it when I noticed that holding 60 - 70 mph on level ground just barely takes any throttle at all. Just barely crack the throttle and it holds speed. That engine is just free, it must have very little frictional loss. Part of the reason it get's about 40 mpg no doubt.

#2 - I don't want to ride on a cloud, but again, my Corolla has good road feedback. My truck feels like I'm getting 2 for 1. Hit a 2.5" bump, I get thrown 5 inches up. Hit 2 bumps, feels like I'm hitting 4. The ride in my truck is more than road feel, its more like road abuse. But hey, its a HD truck, so I'm not knocking it. Strap the weight on it and its as stable as can be, and I don't want it any other way.

#3 - I agree 100%. Even in a Corolla, I had to have the 5 speed. Makes all the difference in the world. Drove a rental Corolla with an auto, it felt like a totally different car. No pep, no pizzaz, no response to my foot, no fun. Probably would've dropped a lot of speed on hills ... like you mentioned.

#4 - Oh I agree 100% there too. I hate driving to work in the morning. The women who always are running break neck speeds on the back roads trying not to be late to work are such a PITA. They'll ride my bumper even if I'm doing 100 mph ... they want by. So, what do I do? I run about 5 over, and do everything possible to slow them down, make'em late for work. It's not much better in my truck regarding the women riding my tailgate, but at least I'm not as much worried if they hit me in my truck ... it can take. If I get hit in the Corolla, I'll just get punted to wherever.

Don't get me wrong here. I like my Corolla for an every day drive car. But that's about its good for, up to 4 people. My truck is a much more versatile vehicle. I could write for days about all the things I like about my truck.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:21 PM

I've had trucks for close to 20 years and hate it whenever I have to drive a car. I bought a small car for economy reasons (commute was a little over 100 miles one way) a few years ago, and only drove it to commute. I couldn't wait til I could get back into my truck when I drive it.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I commute in my Acura 3.2TL-S, and it has some real advantages over my truck for that duty. Different horses for different courses.

Rusty
Old 12-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Banned

I hate cars but today is the first day I have driven my truck in 2 weeks, I drive an old Acura Vigor when the weather is bad. Drivin in my truck is kindoff like drivin in a mix between a sherman tank and a truck with some famous person in it, everybody gets out of my way and everyone points at me and takes pictures of me no kiddin. Also when I am in my truck I can stare at some hot chick and get a smile back in my car I will start staring and trust me I better not get caught.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:14 PM

I had to drive a 93 tempo while I was doing the clutch, and then dealing with my starting (or lack there of) issues a few weeks later. Everytime I was on the highway, I wished I had my truck. Tailgaters didn't matter, much nicer view, smoke on demand. And its much harder to look cool in a tempo. Atleast a one ton commands a certain amount of respect.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:36 PM

i used to drive a 95 acclaim back and forth to work as an economy/highway vehicle. I hated it, as it was impossible to haul anything. that sucked b/c my employer likes to throw away good stuff (parts, pumps, entire kubota engines), and i could never take anything with me. I dumped the car after 6 months and bought my little dakota, (see sig). Now i can haul stuff and still get decent milage. The other day i brought home a ready-burn waste oil furnace they were replacing "just because"
Old 12-01-2006, 05:57 PM

My other 'car' vehicle is a turbocharged Miata. I guess I could park it in the truck's bed. I have modified it a lot and the suspension is a little rough for a Miata, rides kind of like the Mega. It gets great gas mileage, goes to 120+ almost faster than you can shift it, and will cruise at 120+ all day too on the wide open roads here in NM. Nice to get into when you want to go topless! I enjoy both the Miata and the Mega, each has it's place. I also have a Jeep Sahara. When I want to tear up some dirt, well, that's the go-buggy. It's suspension is lifted 4" body lifted 2" has 35" mt's and is the 6 cyl with some decent mods there too. Again, has it's place in what I am wanting to go out and do.

Cars and Trucks are ALL fun when they are right for the moment in time with what you are out doing. I used to have an old banger for winter driving, Ford Tempo. It was the pitts but got me where I wanted to go.

CD
Old 12-01-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to drive my wife’s Subaru forester from time to time. I notice an instant change in how close people follow me... Many here like to drive about a cars length. It drives me nuts... though I may be in a little car, my attitude grows larger, with the finger or what ever.

My paying back wrong with wrong feels great at the time, but I know it’s not right...so most of the time I pull over and let the impatient speeder go by... I usually see them at the next light or tailgating the next car in front of them, so all their anxiety/rudeness/brake use/lead foot doesn’t pay off on the long run.

Funny how things change when driving my Dodge though... I can cruise with less tailgaters, and usually pull over before the person has a chance, because I enjoy the ride with out feeling pushed.

If I get my-self a small car I think I'll get a rebuilt, smog exempt 68 VW bug. (If I can fit into one again)
If I were able to afford the car of my choice it would be a 71 Cuda with the 426 Hemi. Till then I'll just be happy with my Truck.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
#4 They don't get the respect on the road that the truck gets- more tailgaters and crazys

Am I alone on this one? A car is easier to park, but I'm always so glad to get back into the truck
Agreed. We are driving to Pa for the holidays. We could take my wife's Lexus RX-300 with a smooth ride or my rattle machine with a washboard ride. My family thinks I am nuts, but we are taking the truck, I would rather be a hammer than a nail. Besides, I feel like a turd in a punch bowl in the Lexus, the truck "fits" me.

How do you become the "official" DTR village idiot?
~Rob
Old 12-01-2006, 06:11 PM

Yup it sucks I sold my trucks and bought a car to commute back and forth to work. I also bought a van for the better half. I miss having a diesel truck soooo bad. The car does get 30+mpg though, guess that is only the advantage.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I only use my Jeep Cherokee for snowy days and when I'm going places where it's hard to park an extended cab dually. #1 is my main problem with driving gassers.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by hotdram
How do you become the "official" DTR village idiot?
I just need a little help from wanna

Quick Reply: Hate a car now