General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Had to share.....power joke story

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had to share.....power joke story

I just wanted to share with you guys what I saw. on my way home today I had a 6.0 powerjoke in front of me that looked like he had just put an exhaust system on it, we all know those turbos are loud on those but I couldnt help but laugh due to the fact that the turbo was so loud the engine could not be heard and with his attempt to out shine me when we were pulling hills together his truck was screaming going up these hills and i looked over at my old lady and said "look im at,1300 rpm". and i was pulling on him. I knew these things were pieces of junk but are they really that gutless
Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 PM

i drove my bosses ps and it was gutless it took 3 miles to get to speed i really dont like them at all i will stick with the cummins
Old 07-08-2009, 12:17 AM

A stock 6.0 is actually pretty quick. Of course this is coming from a 1st gen guy, but I've ridden in plenty fast trucks.

I'm fairly positive if you lined a stock 6.0 and a stock Cummins (of the same year) up, the 6.0 would be faster, that's unloaded of course. Load 'em up with 15K behind them, and the torque of the Cummins will definitely give it the lead.

I still hate the way straight piped V-8's sound, but those PowerStrokes sure do have a lot if whistle.

My Uncles 6.0 was pretty quick when he wasn't having trouble with it, but his mechanic thought he needed to replace his spark plugs... And no, that is not a joke.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:08 AM

6.0's are fast when they are in one piece
Old 07-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by levigarrett76
6.0's are fast when they are in one piece
Every time I go to see one its too late... Its like hunting Saskwatch...
Old 07-08-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not a fan of our power joke at work, less leg room than previous years and no power with an auto behind them. That slush box is really slushy lol
Old 07-10-2009, 10:07 AM

I put an oil cooler in one at work and was really not impressed with it. It had an odd power band, it felt like it took alot of rpm's to get it going with not a whole lot of low end. Nothing has torgue like an inline engine.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some friends of ours had bought an 03, 6.oh no and that truck would destroy mine empty and towing. (keep in mind they had 100 more hp than my truck and bugged me that my truck was so slow) Then, the head gaskets went out, scored cylinder walls, an injector tip broke off and went out the exhaust and into the turbo and the egr failed in a bad way. $16,850 for a new motor. Feel bad for them, but our Cummins is still plugging away. Getting 15.8 mpg in town and 22 on the highway empty...
Old 07-10-2009, 11:54 AM

My buddies 94 PS walked all over my 03 Dodge. Then he put turned his chip on and I turned my Edge on. He left me in the dust.
Another friends 6.0 left me in the dust he was stock and I had my Edge on. Those friggin Powerstrokes make some awesome power prior to dealerships detuning them.
I was impressed driving one at work, had lots of get up and go.
In all honesty side by side same year truck to same year truck, a PS will roast a Cummins. Hands down, even hook up a trailer it will leave you behind pulling hills what have you. We just don't compete with a v8 diesel they make a different power and they make a lot of power.

Cummins has their fair share of problems also, dealerships Dodge Chevy and Ford are all backed up with broken trucks in their lots. Most of the parts are made at the same companies.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 03 ant a hemi
My buddies 94 PS walked all over my 03 Dodge. Then he put turned his chip on and I turned my Edge on. He left me in the dust.
Another friends 6.0 left me in the dust he was stock and I had my Edge on. Those friggin Powerstrokes make some awesome power prior to dealerships detuning them.
In all honesty side by side same year truck to same year truck, a PS will roast a Cummins. Hands down, even hook up a trailer it will leave you behind pulling hills what have you. We just don't compete with a v8 diesel they make a different power and they make a lot of power.

Cummins has their fair share of problems also, dealerships Dodge Chevy and Ford are all backed up with broken trucks in their lots. Most of the parts are made at the same companies.
Most of the parts are made at the same companies? You have got to be kidding....
Old 07-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My buddies 94 PS walked all over my 03 Dodge. Then he put turned his chip on and I turned my Edge on. He left me in the dust....
In all honesty side by side same year truck to same year truck, a PS will roast a Cummins. Hands down, even hook up a trailer it will leave you behind pulling hills what have you. We just don't compete with a v8 diesel they make a different power and they make a lot of power...

Wow, I have not heard any of this before. The 94 wasn't even a PSD it was the first release of 7.3 TD. With a ground stomping 205hp and 395 ft-lbs I have a hard time with that story, a really hard time.

Funny, every unit I have passed towing had a V-8 in it.

Cummins has their fair share of problems also, dealerships Dodge Chevy and Ford are all backed up with broken trucks in their lots. Most of the parts are made at the same companies
Huh??? They may share about 25% of parts similar, interior wise.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 PM

I don't usually race but the times I have, more CTD's and DMax's have roasted me than PS's honestly the only time I have ever been literally roasted was one time at a red light but it was a modded Harley edition or something cause when it pulled off the light it burnt it's tires and rolled some coal so bad that my truck died. But that's the only time I been beat by by a ps. I think I have a slight disadvantage when it comes to racing stock with oversized tires.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:13 PM

94.5 was the first year of Powerstrokes
Most parts suppliers provide parts for more then one company. Actually there are only a few parts suppliers around, They slap on the label and or stamp for the different companies.

The first 7.3L was produced from 1988-1993. The original 7.3L diesel was a non-turbo charged indirect injection (IDI) engine, followed shortly after by a turbo charged version. It was very similar to the previous 6.9l IDI diesel engine, which was simply bored out for more torque. This engine is not considered in the powerstroke family. In 1994, the 7.3L underwent some changes. The 7.3L was changed to a direct injection (DI) engine from the original IDI engine.[1] Ford also added electronic fuel injectors and gave it the name Power Stroke.[1] This model produced up to 250 hp (190 kW) and 525 lb·ft (712 N·m) of torque.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You again, still trying to stir up trouble ehh?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Chapter President

We had an 05 ps I used as a field mechanic. It had the long bed, 10 foot or better and loaded down with tools, welder, oxy/acet tanks, oil, grease etc. It was an auto. I was amazingly surprised at how quick it was. A rough guess on weight was around 13,000lbs and it would jump out in traffic. I had the opportunity upon occassion to rawhide it and it would go.

Turned way more rpm than my Cummins which may be one reason. Not defending the ps but that one I drove got along well. Still prefer my Cummins though.

Quick Reply: Had to share.....power joke story