General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Good reading (for diesel heads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good reading (for diesel heads)

Diesel Shootout<br><br>Looks like Ford is back on top. <br><br>More of the test will come next Monday so it should be pretty interesting to see those resaults to. 8)<br><br>Sure wish I had those guys jobs. : <br><br>DB
Old 11-19-2002, 04:00 AM
Chapter President

Re:Good reading (for diesel heads)

That was interesting reading...after all the testing is done it would be interesting if they would Dyno all 3 brands also :P
Old 11-19-2002, 07:16 AM

That would've been interesting to go down and watch... so close to home! ;D<br><br>Tony
Old 11-19-2002, 11:01 AM

anyone notice in the 6 speed 1/4 mile race they used a ford 250 and 3500's in dodge and chuby??? ???
Old 11-19-2002, 12:43 PM

I noticed that also 97CTD.. U can never have a fair test.. Just like when Road and Track did theres. they used a manual Dodge and Ford and the Chevy got the Allison in it... It seems that they all about the same. and it just comes down to longivity of the engines. the Chevy and the ord are unproven and the Cummins is proven.. That made my decision on which one to buy...
Old 11-19-2002, 12:56 PM

yeah i would hope a 3/4 ton would be faster than a 1 ton with dual wheels!! Oh well you will never have a fair test of teh trucks except when you do you own real life testing. All these tests just make me angry they always have some sponsor or something that wants one brand or the other promoted it just agitates me b/c most people who read this stuff buy it hook line and sinker and they all think dodge is a slow dog but in a real life test would notice that one brand may be a little slower or faster but not enough to make that huge of a difference like these tests let on! Oh well i just needed to vent i mean there is nothing i can do about it and i know Dodge rules the roost when it comes to power+reliability+longetivity but i just wish they got the credit they deserve!!
Old 11-19-2002, 03:15 PM

Don't get too worked up yet. I'm looking forward to the hill tests. It looks by the numbers that the Dodge's 4.10 axle ratio is what made it just a bit slower on the drag strip, but that same 4.10 should blow them away on the hills. I can't wait to see what happens. ;D<br><br>Either way, I wouldn't ever buy a Ford.<br><br>-SFB
Old 11-21-2002, 11:55 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Nice reading. ;D<br>I think that the difference on the dragstrip was very small. Especially since the Dodge was the heaviest vehicle in this test. <br>I pity any buyer who bases his decisions on quartermile times when choosing a pickup. Maybe a top fuel dragster with a shopping cart hitch would be the truck for this clientele.<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 11-21-2002, 12:38 PM
DPG

Also, the Dodge was about 700 to 1000 pounds heavier than the other trucks, if I remember correctly.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:24 PM
Banned

What caused it to weigh so bloody much? I know it's a dually but jeez.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:03 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

:
Old 11-21-2002, 07:33 PM
yz

1000 pounds more dang. just wondering but how heavy is are cummins compared to ford and chevy? I know that does not even account for 700 to 1000 pounds more. I was just curious. -Anthony
Old 11-21-2002, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its kinda like travelling down the highway them other trucks are bigger power ,better on fuel and haul more than yours. Pull into a scale or fuel station and look at the truth on documented paper and the whining starts, well it needs a tune up, I haven't changed the fuel filter for a while, your load didn't look that heavy or my favorite one &quot; I never push it to the floor&quot;. My poor old Cats were not always the fastest off the line either but with a few exceptions they always got me to delivery and they always got me home just like both my baby Cummins. PK
Old 11-21-2002, 11:05 PM

I will have to agree with PK<br>my 78 dodge and my 94 ctd have never let me down. I have really beat the **** out of both of them. My 94 has almost 400 hp and I use it every day in every shift. I have guys tell me all the time &quot; I can tell you were on the road before me cause the black cloud that follows you and stays around for and hour&quot; That came frome a 98 powerjoke owner. <br>I have driven some ferds that drive alright. His is junk from the getgo. Pig PIg PIG
Old 11-22-2002, 11:07 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Dodge man through and through I just thought it was rather interesting that they did another test after the first one drew so many negative responces. :<br><br>As far as the new PowerSmoke engine, Well I live just across the creek from were most of the Furd heavy trucks are built and know quite a few guys and gals that work there. They have been road testing a few of them and I meet them every moning on the way home from work. Nothing under that Furd hood that I'm skeered of. I've also heard rumors (just rumors, nothing confirmed yet) that they've had several fuel injection pump failures. And to this they will be pushing the release date back one month. Nice to see they are at least atempting to work out the bugs before releasing the trucks to consumers. 8)<br><br>Furd does make a heck of a good truck and I'm sure the new PowerSmoke will be a great truck, but only time will tell. There is no way I'd let some guy that drives a BMW every day make that desision for me. [undecided]<br><br>DB

Quick Reply: Good reading (for diesel heads)