General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Gonna get one of these someday!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Gonna get one of these someday!!

http://www.oldengineshed.com/diesel.html
Check out these NEW hit and miss engines made by Lister out of India. I know, India. But these things are supposed to be built very well and very easy to work on. The link has sound clips too.
A must have for any engine lover.

-Jake
Old 08-10-2004, 08:33 PM

I really like the sound of the two "Cold Start" engines!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:58 PM

I love make and breaks. There so neat. At one of the past BMW national motorcycle rallys.. canada maybe? some vender had 2 there cranking out icecream It was cool
Old 08-10-2004, 09:19 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
That sure brings back memories! Had one of those old Listers driving our water pump. Even have a small scar on the bridge of my nose where the crank slipped off and hit me when I was about 10 years old. Learned how to crank an engine after that and how to keep my head away from flying cranks and backfires.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We actually have three of these on site at the plant similar to the one in the middle. They are used as back up power for the air compressors for the emergency diesels. If all power fails and the air tanks aren't charged enough to start the big EMD 20 cylinder diesels, you can take the belts off the electric motors and swap them over to the engines and build up air to start. They are actually very reliable but look at the weights on them. Be cool to have one just to play with like the guy did on the generator set in the article.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:19 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love those old engines too, and have been collecting them for years. Just last weekend I was at a meet with about a hundred of them putt putting along. All sizes from about 1 horse to over a hundred. Diesels are my favorite and I am currently looking for a Witte diesel generator (anyone know where I can find one?).
Kubota still makes hopper cooled diesels too. I found a company that was sending a lot of them to Viet Nam for a while. Their connection dried up and the company was just blowing them out for less than cost. Wonderful little 5 horse beauties. I grabbed two of them for myself and built a generator for the boat.
I have made three trips to mainland China in the last two years and discovered many in use there. They are Chinese made, about 10 horsepower or so, with maybe 20" flywheels, horizontal cylinder, hopper cooled, and hand crank. They power tractors that get amazingly hard use and travel all over. They have a small pickup style bed on the back and are very strongly built. You see them running around, very unfairly overloaded, going BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, with a trail of black smoke, and cars whizzing around them. When I show interest in them they all think it's very funny. I love seeing that old design actually being used in a very practical way and being used hard. Just what they were designed for. A long hard life with minimal maintenance. Of course the newer ones have a closed crankcase and actually have oil in them! The old ones were all open. Exposed crank, valve train, piston and rod, no oil in it. A suction intake valve. Very simple and easy to understand. Fun to watch. It's wonderful to see how durable, reliable, and forgiving an engine can be in it's simplest form. Pour a little water in the hopper, give the grease cups a quarter turn, add a little oil to the dripper, a few drops on the timing gears and the governor and she's good to go for a long hard day, or more. Fire it up, walk away, and let it work till it runs out of fuel. Day after day, year after year.

Wetspirit
Old 08-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I love to hear the old hit and miss engines running. If anybody has one laying around I promise I'll give it a good home. The coolest one I ever heard was a 12 HP one cylinder out of an oil field. The owner had it mounted on a tandem axle trailer. It ran on propane and had flame ignition, the flywheeels were about 5 feet in diameter. Bore was around 8 inches, stroke was about a foot and a half. The exhaust pipe was a 4" cast iron pipe about 4 feet tall. When the thing fired, you could feel the concussion in your chest. It sounded like a fireworks mortar going off, you could hear it over all the other engines at the show anywhere on the grounds. PWOONK! I must have stood there watching and listening for 45 minutes. An awesome piece of machinery.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:25 PM

you all need to go to Rollag Minn. on laborday weekend.