General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Going Insane With Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going Insane With Decisions

I started looking for a 2004+ truck to purchase. Little did I know that it would turn out to be quite the adventure.

What better way then with a message board. You can get owner feedback and make informed decisions. FOr my truck choice I wanted power, reliability and nice styling for my truck.

So I started with Nissan Titan. A very nice looking truck but the owners had LOTS of problems (Differentials breaking, brake problems, reliability problems, fit & finish, etc.) So I DROPPED the Titan as choice.

Then it was the F250. Read LOTS of problems with the 6.0L Diesel. If they offered the 7.3L with the 2004 or 2005 models then I MAY have gone that route.

Then came Chevy. The Duramax makes great power BUT it has some issues, not as bad as the powerstroke, yet the transmissions were the weak link. Also, I don't like the styling of the Chevy, both inside & out, so I dopped the Chevy.

NOW, here I am. From what I read and researched the Dodge Cummings is a SOLID and very reliable engine. It makes lots of power and will run a long time. But I have some questions for you guys:

1. Does the 2004+ auto trans have any known reliability problems?
2. How is the fit & finish of Dodge 2500 trucks?

Any & all info would be appreciated!!! Knowledge makes for a right decision.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to DTR!

You can get on here and read for days and learn a whole lot. Start reading in the 3rd gen forums and ask questions if you have any specific ones.

The transmissions are holding up fine with stock power or up to about 100 extra horses. The 48RE is not as sophisticated as the Allison tranny but is turning out to be very solid. If you want to go all out with adding power, it can be built up to hold it all....no problem.

The fit and finish is fine. My only complaint is the paint is a little thin and seems to scratch easy. I don't know that the Ford or Chevy's are any better though.

The Cummins (not CUMMINGS) is arguably the most solid built engine put in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Remember that this is not a truck engine. It is an industrial machine engine that they DETUNED to put into this application. There are 800 hp trucks out there using the stock bottom end of these engines. (pistons, connecting rods, block etc)

These engines are used in marine offshore applications where they run wide open for days on end. The recommended from Cummins rebuild time is 350,000 miles but there are a number of them with over a million miles.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:04 AM

I'll give my opinion as a previous and current Chevy owner and a new Dodge owner.

Chevy is a more refined, car like truck. It sits low to the ground (read: easy for the girls to get in), rides smooth with the IFS, and the fit and finish is on par with the other big three. I don't have any experience with the Duramax motor, so you're on your own there.

Dodge makes a truck. There is no mistake about that. They have not yuppified (showing my age there) their trucks yet. (and I hope they never do) I bought my '04.5 dodge to do one thing... tow my camper and my skid steer. I've owned several Cummins (note-there isn't a "g" anywhere in the name ) motors in semi trucks before, so I knew they made a reliable, strong motor. When my neighbor gave me grief for switching to a dodge, I told him I bought the Cummins, it just happened to be box up in a Dodge. In the past 5 months, I've grown to appreciate the "truck" aspect of a Dodge. Now when I drive the Chevy, I feel like I'm driving a car.

As I stated, I bought my truck to tow and I'm a truck driver by trade. I got the six speed, after all... It's not a real truck if you ain't shifting gears.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Guardrail
As I stated, I bought my truck to tow and I'm a truck driver by trade. I got the six speed, after all... It's not a real truck if you ain't shifting gears.
Couldn't agree with you more!