General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

GM to buy Chrysler

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can see it now. A Cummins-powered Renault Dauphine (anyone else remember those??)

Rusty
Old 02-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texas78
A friend of mine has a 06 F-250 with a V-10 and pulls a 36 ft gooseneck loaded everyday with cattle and has put 52k on the truck and has never had any problems with his tranny.I have heard of problems when the truck has mods but not many stock.Anything has to be better than the 48RE.If my wife was not driving the Dodge 90% of the time I would have bought another 6-speed.

That's because he can't get it outta 2nd gear with that v10. Trust me I have one as a company truck and only haul a 20 foot goose with a couple of horses in the back at the most.
The thing couldn't pull it's own weight on a windy day!!
Old 02-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
How about a LeCar with a hemi?
Old 02-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
A Subaru 360 with a Cummins?

(originally powered by a 2 cylinder 2-stroke air cooled motorcycle engine)
Old 02-17-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wouldn't it be great to be able to get a GMC crew cab, dually with the Cummins and a manual transmission?
My old '94 gasser (454, NV4500, 4.10 CC-dually) lasted me over 200K, and is now doing duty hauling Bragg Built trailers from East Texas to Granbury.
I know some people that cannot drive a manual (or just plain won't) - they can have the Cummins with a 1000 series Allison.
What about the 1/2 ton line? Would be great to have a 5.3 to fit in between the 4.7 and the 5.7 hemi! It would also bring the awesome 8.1L V-8 into availability for the heavy duty line in Dodge trucks. Somehow, a sad little 5.7L engine in a one-ton truck seems a little short on, well, cubic inches (what made America great!).
It would be great if the best of both truck lines could be put together, wouldn't it?

Dry Creek
Old 02-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

It turns my stomach to think that Chrysler could be associated w/ General Mistake.

Does GM still have the "Instant-Win" airbags?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30400
Attached Thumbnails GM to buy Chrysler-onion_news2622.jpg  
Old 02-18-2007, 09:28 AM

RustyJC

Renault Dauphine

Yeah, I remember them, had the city horn and the country horn, big selling point that. When the VW Beetle came here, the Renaults were soon gone. Kind of like the beginning of WWII.

One great car that the French made was the Citroen Du-chevault (sic) or 2 horses) Two cylinders, (oil cooled!!) could not be overturned. I had one in Iran, and it was a great car. I worked for Bell Helicopter and all the copter engineers and mechanics had them too. Said it was the best car ever. A little short on HP, but it would take you where ever you wanted to go, offroad too (Front WD).

French cars have come a long way since then, here in the UAE there are lots of Renaults, Peugeots, and Citroens. They look and run pretty well. Don't forget they are heavily involved with F1 and road racing and have learned a lot from those developments.

I like the French, they taste a lot like chicken.

Why did the French plant trees on the streets of Paris?

So the German army could march in the shade.

Last edited by tabing; 02-18-2007 at 09:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-2007, 03:30 PM

Would you Dodge fans prefer the Chinese, or Indians buy Chrysler? How about Russia? Because it is a givin that MB no longer wants the headache of owning it, and they will sale to whomever will pay. And China would love to get a foot in the door with a company this size.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKBIRD8200
I don't know why everybody down grades GM like they make pure crap?
I had a 1988 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4 automatic ... worst vehicle that ever existed.
3 flywheels, 8 starters, 3 head gaskets, 8 complete sets of ball joints, 4 radiators, multiple rear axle seals, 3 EFI units, etc. etc. etc.....
I bought that truck twice over.

Worse than my folks old '77 Chrysler Cordoba.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:27 PM

Latest from Wall Street Journal

copyrighted material removed - please post a link instead of cutting and pasting
Old 02-19-2007, 08:00 AM

its reported that MB wants to sell it for a cool $5B ... but on even worse news Hyundai is rumored to be in talks now
Old 02-19-2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by FATCAT
I had a 1988 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4 automatic ... worst vehicle that ever existed.
3 flywheels, 8 starters, 3 head gaskets, 8 complete sets of ball joints, 4 radiators, multiple rear axle seals, 3 EFI units, etc. etc. etc.....
I bought that truck twice over.

Worse than my folks old '77 Chrysler Cordoba.

i remember a time in 80s that Chrysler vehicles were pure ****. Anyone remember the K-cars...I do. Military had cars, trucks, bobtails, vans, 6pax...all Dodge and Chryster to help with Govt buyout of Iaccoca. Pieces of crap. That perception almost kept me from giving Dodge a look last year as it hung with me and I have always loved Chevy and GMC.
If not for ridiing in my buddies 2003 CTD 4x4 I would never have looked...

so it appears every maker is possible of putting out crap every now and then....
Old 02-19-2007, 09:36 AM

I know their junk but i always had a soft spot for the k cars. I would like to have a mid 80s lebaron convert with all the options even the digital gage package like the one on display in the Walter P Chrysler musem in Auburn Hills. Nothing says class like a woodgrain sticker on the side of a car.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:09 AM

I would rather see GM end up with them than Hyundai.

I would like to see an Allison auto avail. for these trucks, that would be so sweet!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Brock
i remember a time in 80s that Chrysler vehicles were pure ****. Anyone remember the K-cars...I do. ..

hmmm, we had an '87 reliant K wagon, (a k-car). once the body rusted off the rest of the car, i took the 287kmi 2.5l motor and put it in an acclaim, and drove it some more. that was 3 years ago, and i sold to a guy in town, whos wife drives it every day. i would never call a k-car a POS.

Quick Reply: GM to buy Chrysler