General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Glowshift Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glowshift Gauges

Does anybody have any experience with glowshift gauges. Been looking on ebay and found a kit, it includes, triple gauge a pilllar pod, 0-60 psi boost, 0-1600 pyro and trans temp gauge. Says it comes with everything to hook them up,(probes,hoses,wires,etc.). You can choose your light color and they are black face like i want. Are they good quality or are they crap? They are listed for $199 buy it now. I need gauges and i like them but are they even worth my time and money? Please let me know your .02 cents I want to know the pros and cons before i decide whether or not to invest. Thanks
Old 11-04-2008, 08:56 PM

I've been running that same kit for several months and have not had a problem. The only thing I did not like was I thought it came with a complete pillar replacement but that was my bad for not reading the listing correctly. All in all I have had no problems with them. I am having trouble finding a way to match the pillar to my interior though anyone else have a problem finding a paint that is an exact match to your interior?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by caburnside
I've been running that same kit for several months and have not had a problem. The only thing I did not like was I thought it came with a complete pillar replacement but that was my bad for not reading the listing correctly. All in all I have had no problems with them. I am having trouble finding a way to match the pillar to my interior though anyone else have a problem finding a paint that is an exact match to your interior?
Go on to genosgarage.com they sell oe paints to match your pillar to your interior.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Big Red 97'
Go on to genosgarage.com they sell oe paints to match your pillar to your interior.
Thanks, I'll check them out right now! I have only ever looked at Autozone and O'reileys, and have been reluctant to check the Dodge house because of their prices on anything.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Yeah when something goes wrong thats when its time to go aftermarket. The dodge dealership will screw you over in a hurry. But yeah genos has i think 4 different colors for the different year model interiors. You should be able to find what your looking for. They have my color I just need the gauges before i get the paint. On that gauge kit, did you use the tranny temp gauge? I dont think i will use it i only want the boost and pyro gauges but i cant pass that price. Did it come with everything you needed to hook them up?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:10 AM

http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept=98

Heres a link to genos this is the page you need.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:29 AM

The kit came with everything to install the guages. I actually only have the trans and Pyro hooked up right now. They went in in about 5 minutes just turning a wrench, (I do have an ATS exhaust manifold so I did not have to tap for my pryro) The Boost does come with everything to hook it up I just don't have my manifold tapped yet. Ya I've been lazy. I have also been considering using a tapped bolt instead of their set up.

All in all it is a good set up for the price, I own a diesel performance business and chose those over alot of the guages I sell and do not regret it. I was weary at first just because they are so cheap.

As far as the genos paint they say it is for 97-02 I wouldn't think there was a color change from the 96 to 97 but I will have to look into that.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by caburnside

As far as the genos paint they say it is for 97-02 I wouldn't think there was a color change from the 96 to 97 but I will have to look into that.
Do you have the gray interior? If so it did not change. A buddy of mine had a 96 with gray int. and it was the same as my 97's gray interior. As for the other colors i am not sure.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:02 PM

Ya I have the grey interior, I did not think there was a change, it will be nice having two matching pillars again now. I'm just pumped to be geting my truck back today. A one day transmission job has turned into 7 days. Can't wait to release some smoke today

And if I do actually get the truck back today I might go ahead and tap the boost tonight or first thing tomorrow using the glowshift set up.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:08 PM

Good deal. Yeah, luckily i have not had to seperate from mine yet. Im sure its difficult. But thanks for the info on the gauges. And since you own a performance shop i might have to keep in touch for any additions to my rig.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 PM

It is difficult, I can't believe I am admitting it but I have been in a 93 burgandy buick since Sunday.(can we say grandma car, literally borrowed it from my 98 year old grandmother) Talk about a change, I need to buy a back up truck. But I would just mod it out and break something I am so jelous of all of you with your trucks right now.

Ya I'd be happy to help ya with any future plans you have.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:28 PM

I have a question about turbos. What does a wastegate on a turbo do? Do stock turbos have wastegates? I Have heard people talk abou turning up their turbo, what do they mean by that, what do they do to the stock turbos to give them more power?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:09 PM

Definition I give: A wastegate is a valve that diverts exhaust gases away from the turbine wheel in a turbocharged engine system. Diversion of exhaust gases causes the turbine to lose speed, which in turn reduces the rotating speed of the compressor. The primary function of the wastegate is to stabilize boost pressure in turbocharger systems, to protect the engine and the turbocharger.

So basically it takes some of your power away. I have personally used a home made waste gate actuater that can be made with supplies bought at home depot it allows the turbo to spool longer but eventually allows gasses into the wastegate. It worked well. But now I have the waste gate completely bypassed with a bypass bold. (not the technical term) and am now running with no wastegate.

If you want I can dismantle my home made actuater and take pictures for you it is a simple spring loaded set up that makes the pressure of the gasses be greater before they can push the ball (ball bearing) past a spring allowing gasses to escape into the wastegate or you can go the latter route and bypass the wastegate all together. You will want to be able to monitor boost with it completely blocked (which I am not right now) but will be in a few days.

By the way FYI: If you are not drilled and tapped already for boost, you will have to go to the hardware store to buy a fitting for the Glow Shift boost guage. That is the only thing they leave out, found out tonight going over their instructions.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 PM

Oh and yes our turbos have a wastegate, the 24 valves do not. I can't remember the year they stopped. But I did a turbo swap with an 01 and had no wastegate while I ran that turbo. The 01 turbo had alot more spool until around 80 mph then it really seemed to not be there. But quick off the line.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:38 AM

Good info thanks. So basically no wastegate is better.