General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

getting some of the meanest looks

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as I'm for performance and loud exhausts I agree with pgilles. If you want to have stacks, smoke, and noise you've gotta be prepared to get a nasty look or two. To me, there's nothing sweeter than the smell of diesel exhaust and the rattle of direct injection, but to other people it sounds no different than the sound of the trash truck (and honestly I'd take that as a compliment) waking them up at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning. I can't stand the sound of a Honda with a fart can and I usually wrinkle my nose when one flys by, but to the ricer crowd it's music to their ears. In short, everybody's a critic, and you can't please everyone. I live in North Jersey and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I drove through Short Hills, Madison, or Bernardsville with a bombed 12v with stacks and I got dirty looks. But hey, if you're running around with no cat or other illegal mods just be glad a dirty look is all you get right?

P.S. I can't wait to be guilty of this myself-only I'll also have a "Powered by WVO sticker on the back window-that oughta have the environmental crowd scratching their heads.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:24 AM

i see what you guys are saying, and i guess i should have clarified my definition of a yuppie... i would love to have a mercedes, i almost bought a bmw instead of my truck, thank goodness i didn't... i am calling those people that think they are better than you because of there income, and nice expensive cars yuppies, and i agree i shouldn't judge anyone, i guess i just wanted to vent a little.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:52 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
The sound of a well tuned engine beats the noise and cursing I hear coming from stereos turned up so loud that the windows in my house shake.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amen, fuel4me!!
I go to the university of cincinnati, and I bet I am gonna get looks when school starts back up. I just straight piped mine yesterday, and went driving around. It gets awful loud in neighborhoods!!! out in the country it's too quiet though, I need stacks.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:30 AM

Ok, I live in northern CT, around the snooty Glastonbury area, and I tell you what, if you think you guys get mean looks, then you should see the looks I get when they realize its a blackguy driving a big a#% black dodge that is loud as hell and has a lil smokin problem I get some of the funniest looks its just hilarious, I even get questions like nice truck are you borrowing it, I smashed a guy in a older power joke last saturday night, well the guy followed me off of the highway, and when I rolled down the window you should have seen the shocked look on his face , man it was priceless, I take all in stride though, I actually get a kick out of it.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:07 AM

Whats up Qckdodge,
Hope you didnt succomb to the pressure and get rid of that straight pipe... FYI next coffee night will be on the 13th if your around, Jim
Old 12-30-2005, 10:56 AM

you know, more of my frieds have diesels than not. I love texas.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:33 PM

Unhappy

Not wanting to get on a soap box, but unfortunately to many of those city dwellers you refer to, your stacks are seen as "Backwoods" or "country". And what you are being introduced to is discrimination in one of it's many forms. Not saying "I" have anything against them, but they aren't on my list of things to add to my truck. As with anything, it's all personnel preference or tolerance to something that is different. Those people you refer to also see pulling a trailer/5er as "backwoods" and beneath them also. What you should understand is that the truck you drive in many cases cost more than those yuppie vehicles you refer to. It's a misconception that they all cost 40 grand or more. And last time I looked many of the trucks we own and that are being made are reaching the 30-50 grand range fully loaded, not including the expensive mods added after. I can say that I have been blessed with the ability to have nice things that include a nice home, truck, a German made vehicle (wife), new 5er toy-hauler, ATVs/dirt bikes, expensive mountain bikes etc. But, I have not forgotten where I came from growing up african american dirt poor in Houston. I do not by any means see/consider myself as a yuppie. And what one may enjoy, someone else may not. As for the "smoke" thing, as mentioned before bringing attention to your hobby is a sure fire way to get the tree huggers involved in putting it to a halt. For years the off-road ATV/MOTORCYCLE/VEHICLE communities have been fighting the Sierra club and many other liberal special interest groups for the right to use off road vehicles on public land. But because we have a few bad apples who screw it up for everyone with exhaust systems that are too loud and not spark arrested, bikes that smoke way too much, unregistered vehicles, riding/driving off the beaten path tearing up the off limits areas and my pet peeve, those irresponsible parents who don't supervise/don't allow children on ATVs that are way too big. Then who try to sue the mfg because their 10yr old child not wearing a helmet was killed on a vehicle clearly not designed for a child. The list goes on. Because of this we as a community now face a lack/decrease in local off-road areas to enjoy our past time.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana
i even had a lady yell at me because she thought i was the trash man. I asked why in the world she assumed that, her response was "I heard that nah nah nah nah, knocking noise and i thought it was my trash truck".
***!!
Was she throwing out anything good!?!? (I am on the amateur dumpster diving circuit)
Old 12-30-2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by fuel4me
i see what you guys are saying, and i guess i should have clarified my definition of a yuppie... i would love to have a mercedes, i almost bought a bmw instead of my truck, thank goodness i didn't... i am calling those people that think they are better than you because of there income, and nice expensive cars yuppies, and i agree i shouldn't judge anyone, i guess i just wanted to vent a little.
LOL! Breathe Clint! Breathe! I really hope you're not smoking everything on the road or I'm gonna have to take them 370's away.

brandon.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:06 PM

in colorado my truck is a common site except for the sleeper conversion of course.

but i just drove the fmily out to cali for the holidays, what a different world. i was born out there but haven't really been back since i was a kid. i ****** more than a few people off.

maybe because i had the fiver on the back and was doing the single car speed limit. they have all trailers limited to 55 in a 75 mph zone. 65 - 70 is more to my liking since i haul a trailer nearly everyday. they didn't like me in their faster lanes with the rv. oh well

once i dropped the rig i got the mean look from more than one yuppie and yes they were yuppies, they don't like to share the road with a rig as big as my dually. i guess they can't see around it in their half a vehicle

seriously though you would have thought they never saw a full sized truck do the speed limit they way they tried so hard to get around me. they would push 90mph just to get around me in the middle lane doin 75

they drive like idiots in southern cali
Old 12-30-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rockhound
in colorado my truck is a common site except for the sleeper conversion of course.

but i just drove the fmily out to cali for the holidays, what a different world. i was born out there but haven't really been back since i was a kid. i ****** more than a few people off.

maybe because i had the fiver on the back and was doing the single car speed limit. they have all trailers limited to 55 in a 75 mph zone. 65 - 70 is more to my liking since i haul a trailer nearly everyday. they didn't like me in their faster lanes with the rv. oh well

once i dropped the rig i got the mean look from more than one yuppie and yes they were yuppies, they don't like to share the road with a rig as big as my dually. i guess they can't see around it in their half a vehicle

seriously though you would have thought they never saw a full sized truck do the speed limit they way they tried so hard to get around me. they would push 90mph just to get around me in the middle lane doin 75

I know what you meen abought people getting mad because you have a big truck and can do the speed limit with a big trailer. I have it every time I get on the interstate with the truck and a trailer of any sort. People just cant handle being passed buy a larger vehicle or staying behind one when they do. The most memerable time was last summer on the way across Nebraska coming home from Colorado camping and riding ATVs. I had a 29 foot camper behind me and 2 utility machines on the back of the truck. [IMG] [/IMG] Some little Toyota land cruiser would not stay behind me. He kept passing me and then slowing down. The first few times he would slow down enough that i would pass him buy and just get pulled back in when he would pull out and pass me back. Then he started letting me get rite up beside him and then take off. After abought 30 or 40 miles of this i finaly got fed up and turned the box on and out accelerated him up to abought 90 when he backed out of it. That time he finaly gave up and stayed back there and adventualy dropped back out of site. Some people just cant allow a full size truck pulling a trailer to pass them.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dshiftff
Whats up Qckdodge,
Hope you didnt succomb to the pressure and get rid of that straight pipe... FYI next coffee night will be on the 13th if your around, Jim
Whats up Jim, I will seeya on the 13th, I put the nuffler back on
my wife would not ride in it, she said it was the worst thing she ever heard, those words almost made me cry, I missed you at the breakfast on the 11th, one more thing, I loved watching you beat up on the kid with the 6 inch exhaust
Old 12-31-2005, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by joefarmer
LOL! Breathe Clint! Breathe! I really hope you're not smoking everything on the road or I'm gonna have to take them 370's away.

brandon.
dude these injectors are awesome, i need to pay you for them so you can't take them away lol. scince i got the stacks my truck sounds freaking awesome... i love it... and chris is gay for not liking them lol
Old 12-31-2005, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by rockhound

We got the exact same thing coming up from Pa to Me when we moved, for some reason people did not like the thought that they were getting passed by a dually pulling a 16 foot trailer with a 8,000 pound skid steer on the trailer and the bed of the truck full they would pass us right back and slow down again.

The one time going back to Pa with the trailer and a load of 16 6x6x8 timbers, we came up on this car in the middle lane so we drifted over to the third lane to pass her and when we got up beside her she would speed up so when we backed of she would, she did this for a good 3 miles till we got to a point where it was impossible to pass in the third lane.So my dad(he was driving at the time) backed off and go behind her and slowed to about 45-50 mph, dropped it down a gear and jumped on it by the time he got up to her he was doing about 80 mph and he jumped into the 1st lane(not aloud to pass in the 1st lane with a trailer)just making sure he nearly missed her back bumper, he got passed her and brought it back over bringing the trailer close to her front bumper he was doing close to 85-90 at the time and she is blowing her horn and flashing her lights,in a matter of seconds she was out of sight, and he brought the speed down to 70 mph and we cruised the rest of the night without a problem.

Jeff

Quick Reply: getting some of the meanest looks