General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Gelled fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gelled fuel

So, it got to about -8C or so last night here in oklahoma, and now I can't get my truck to start (temps still about -6C). Now, the station that I buy fuel from said that they do not winterize they're fuel at all. Now what I am wondering if if there is a possibility that I have gelled fuel. Last winter I ran power service in every tank, but I haven't run it yet this year (had been about 25C till yesterday).

I got it it to start last night (-3C) with a lot of coaxing, bairly started, made a weird whine when it finally started, and gave me some good white smoke for about the first 5 seconds.

So what could be going on here? Gelled fuel? Cracked lines? BTW, i wasn't plugged in either time, and this wasn't a problem last winter when my timing was at 6* and I ran power service in every tank.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by taildragger
So, it got to about -8C or so last night here in oklahoma, and now I can't get my truck to start (temps still about -6C). Now, the station that I buy fuel from said that they do not winterize they're fuel at all. Now what I am wondering if if there is a possibility that I have gelled fuel. Last winter I ran power service in every tank, but I haven't run it yet this year (had been about 25C till yesterday).

I got it it to start last night (-3C) with a lot of coaxing, bairly started, made a weird whine when it finally started, and gave me some good white smoke for about the first 5 seconds.

So what could be going on here? Gelled fuel? Cracked lines? BTW, i wasn't plugged in either time, and this wasn't a problem last winter when my timing was at 6* and I ran power service in every tank.
Get some fuel conditioner in your tank and use it on every fill. You'll have no further problems. Heck, at -30 Celcius on the lease I was on until the 26th, the fuel came out of the tank gelled when fueling up - just added some extra conditioner - no issues.

Most of the growling probably came from cold crankcase oil - plug-in.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Come winter I run additive with every tank even though they blend the fuel up here for winter conditions.

If you add the conditioner to the tank and wait a bit, it should work its way through. Or if you can fill it once you get started, the warm fuel from the station will help circulate the anti-gel.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Ggg

I would find a different place to buy fuel from. The fuel is winterized at the refinery not at the station, they have no say in the matter.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:50 PM

Festus what company do you work for? Im with champion
Old 11-30-2006, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ggg
I would find a different place to buy fuel from. The fuel is winterized at the refinery not at the station, they have no say in the matter.
My neighbor drives fuel tanker and he told me the other week that there was no "winter blend" anymore with the introduction of ULSD; apparently the additional refining and reduced sulfur makes it winter-ready year round.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:31 PM

but would that make since, to freeze the fuel at only 15F? What else would keep me from being able to start?
Old 11-30-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Something else is definitely wrong, your fuel shouldn't start gelling to around 10F
Old 11-30-2006, 07:25 PM

I wouldnt think it would be a gelling issue. Im running #2 ulsd and it was 0 yesterday morning and never got above 5 above all day and was 3 below this mornin and mine never gelled .
Old 11-30-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
My neighbor drives fuel tanker and he told me the other week that there was no "winter blend" anymore with the introduction of ULSD; apparently the additional refining and reduced sulfur makes it winter-ready year round.
Can anyone affirm this?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Ggg

Not saying it isn't true, thats the first I've heard of ULSD being all weather.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Can anyone affirm this?
I can't....but they better not be selling me #2 here.

I run Howes Meaner Cleaner...ONLY...

Winter Tip...start using treatments before the cold weather hits, it will help eliminate moister in fuel systems before it can cause problems.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:54 AM

ULSD not gelling might make sense if the additive they use to bring up the lubricity also has anti-gelling capability...
Old 12-01-2006, 06:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
Winter Tip...start using treatments before the cold weather hits, it will help eliminate moister in fuel systems before it can cause problems.
Plug it in also! I did not read one post where guys are pluging their trucks in. Anything below 40F I plug mine in. I run Power Service year round.

I must be doing something right, 205K miles on the original VP-44.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
Something else is definitely wrong, your fuel shouldn't start gelling to around 10F
Unless there is any Biodiesel in it. I think that stuff starts to thicken alot warmer than that.

Quick Reply: Gelled fuel