General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Friend wants a Ford 6 litre

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friend wants a Ford 6 litre

I am hoping you guys can help me with a friend of mine. He currently drives a '98 Powerstroke, and wants to buy a 03-04 crewcab powerstroke to pull a 40 foot 5'er. He is a die hard Ford guy, and I when I told him about all the problems that I have read about the new 6.0 he doesn't believe me because I am reading this on a pro-Dodge site.

He says he has not heard of any problems with the 6.0, but he only looks at the Ford sites. I told him I would try to find out the websites where everyone is reading about the problems so he can make an informed decision. I already told him that the decision is his to make, and it is his money, but I really want him to know all the facts up front before dropping that kind of cash.

If anyone knows of similar Ford Diesel sites. I could forward them to him.

Thanks again,

James
Old 02-14-2004, 06:50 AM

have your friend read this site for a while--but I have to warn you Ford owners are used to having a less than perfect truck for years so it may be hard to convert--http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/
Old 02-14-2004, 07:46 AM

If i encounter a die hard oval guy and he is talking about getting a new 6.0, i first try and see if he knows about the cummins in the dodge. If it dosent phase him, i just tell him he's better off with a 7.3L.

Yes, read the diesel stop pages, look back as far as you can. Ive seen sooo many heated arguments between the die hards defending their problems and the guys who are fed-up with problems.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:59 AM

A search on the dieselstop should turn up some info. Look at the number of people talking about diesel in their fuel (injector failure) for example.

A visit to http://6literpowerstroke.flatratetech.com/ might be useful as well. Not intended to bash ford, but help techs fix the things. http://flatratetech.com/6literpowerstroke/symptoms.htm for example.

But oddly enough, I just asked my Ford salesman about the 6.0L and he was pretty open about the '03's having problems and customers being unhappy. But did say that the bad trucks were bought back and replaced with '04s which are supposed to be much better.

I don't own a Dodge, yet at least. I've been very happy with my Ford dealer. But I wouldn't touch a used 6.0L PSD. A new '04, maybe...
Old 02-14-2004, 08:34 AM
VPI

The new 04 with the 04 engine do not appear to have as many problems . Only time will tell. They make a nice truck but there customer service stinks.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:40 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Have him call my brother, who is working on his second buyback right as we speak.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Banned

I just bought an '04 that was a return. The first owner didn't want it because of the engine replacement so I got it at a heck of a deal. The two are different trucks all together. Creature comforts in the Ford are hands down nicer, the Cummins is by far a nicer engine. Now that I own both time will tell, although the Ford is being driven by my wife (alot less mileage each year) This one starts fine and runs fine, I spent about 6 hours underneath the hood tie wrapping wires away from hot spots and metal brackets.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:22 AM

Remember, and this is very impotartant. FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE FORDS.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:40 AM

Have him read THIS And make sure he reads all 3 pages.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:12 PM

Have him check out :
http://www.blueovalnews.com
http://www.blueovalnews.com/2003/pow..._injectors.htm
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=08799767

BTW I too am a Ford fan, every non-diesel I have owned has been and will continue to be a Ford. I just prefer Cummins to Navistar, and to be honest, Dodge has come a long long long way with their trucks.

Cheers.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:35 PM

Some people just need to learn the hard way. Why don't you get a Cummins (if you don't already have one) and show him the way things are! Open both hoods and see which one you'd rather work on. Load up a trailer and pull it up some hills to see which one feels better. Or, better yet, just wait till he has an engine/transmission problem and let him know that you've never had a major problem w/ your's.

I know if I could go back in time, I would have gotten a '98 12v 5 speed...but oh no! The allure of the PSD got hold of me! Hopefully I'll find some other poor sap to buy it from me so I can get a real truck.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I would grab this fellow and shake him vigorously, obviously he is asleep and in the middle of a nightmare
Old 02-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Banned

You guys are starting to sound as bad as the narrow minded few on the Ford diesel boards. Lighten up a bit.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:21 PM

I went to one of the sites that were mentioned in an above post to see what kinda problems they're having w/ the 6.0...does this sound any good?

"Reports are still coming in but so far we are seeing about 11 MPG when pulling a heavy load and about 18 MPG when empty"

What do you get w/ a CTD? 15 mpg?
Old 02-14-2004, 05:39 PM
Banned

Usually around the 18 to 20 empty for most people. Some in the 20's, some grandpa drivers (me) get even better.

Quick Reply: Friend wants a Ford 6 litre