General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

french fries

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
french fries

Anybody play with diesel fuel made from deep frier grease, lots of info on the web but is a guy asking for trouble.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:30 PM

Not if you do it right. Do a search on biodiesel, greasel, grease car, etc. Lots of info. Lots of websites/forums about the topic.

Probably a good website for some basic information is here:

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...oard=biodiesel

Baically, you either have to modify the vehicle to burn waste veg oil (WVO) or modify the WVO. Modifying the WVO into useable fuel is converting it to biodiesel.

There is a learning curve with both so do your homework. Kevin
Old 03-19-2005, 09:39 PM
RCW

The P pumped 12 valve is a great engine for using either liquifed fryer oils or biodiesel.

I have used both liquified and purefied fryer oils, and converted the stuff to biodiesel. Biodiesel creates a more reliable product if the oil source is subject to contamination from cooking.

What none of the alternate energy sites tell you is that fryer oils that have been contaminated with salt must be converted to biodiesel before using it as a fuel. The same goes for fryer grease that has been used on meat products such as fish or chicken.

All fryer oils that have been used for floured products, such as onion rings, and on things like fish sticks will contain salt. Salt, even in minute amounts, will bind with any water in the fuel (and there is always water) and take it right past even a 3 micron filter. It then will create acids, and corrode your injection pump plungers and the valve seats in the injectors.

If you try to run fryer oil by using a heating method, be absolutely certain that the stuff is vegetable oil. Places like MickeyD's use a fryer oil that contains animal fats. Animal fats contain lipids, which are insoluable proteins that also like bind with transient metals and water and then plug the works in your injection system.

If you go to production of biodiesel, it is real simple, but make sure your local John Law folks know what you are doing. It is real easy to mistake the production of biodiesel for the production of Meth, and you do not want your door kicked in at 2 AM because some goofball neighbor smells you cooking something in the shed out back.

Biodiesel can use any form of oil, be it vegetable, animal, and even old crankcase oil and transmission fluids, and they can all be mixed together during the refining process without worry.

Lastly, if you are not married and are going to produce biodiesel, get married first. What you will find yourself with is tons of glycerine after you purefy the fuel. The glycerine is absolutely great if you have a wife that likes to make designer soaps to sell at Saturday Market, etc. My fuel is now free, as the soaps pay all my raw material costs.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:38 AM

RCW, great points! I have researched the subject for 3 years, have been making bio for 1 year. I decided (based on my research) that bio is the way to go.

While on the subject of glycerine, it also makes a great engine degreaser, liquid lawn edger (kills weed along fencline, reduces future growth), a good garage floor cleaner, use it to wash the shop rags, and is biodegradeable, can be composted (check methanol reclaiming first).

I know one guy who sells it to the local auto detAil shop for engine degreaser and they love it. Kevin
Old 03-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by RCW

If you try to run fryer oil by using a heating method, be absolutely certain that the stuff is vegetable oil. Places like MickeyD's use a fryer oil that contains animal fats. Animal fats contain lipids, which are insoluable proteins that also like bind with transient metals and water and then plug the works in your injection system.
McDonald's stopped using animal products in their frier oil a while ago. I think because they were sued by the vegitarians or something for not publishing the fact that they had animal products in there (what vegitarians were doing in a McDonald's in the first place is beyond me). They use vegatable oil (from the McDonald's website):

French Fries
Potatoes, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural flavor (beef source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (to preserve natural color). Cooked in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (may contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated corn oil and/or partially hydrogenated canola oil and/or cottonseed oil and/or sunflower oil and/or corn oil).

Now, what that "natural flavor (beef source)" is, I have no idea. I guess it could be animal fat products that could get into the oil, but the oil itself doesn't have any to start with.

Eventually, when I stop moving around, I'm going to build myself a biodiesel still. Good tip on letting the local PD/FD know what you are up to!
Old 03-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Have any of you running straight biodiesel checked the integrity of your fuel lines and rubber seals?

I am trying to determine if my supplier has their facts straight on the possible issues using ANY rubber hoses with biodiesel. If you've been running for three years with the stock lines and no failures, this is very reassuring. I have confirmed that the pick up tube in the tanks is/are compatible with biodiesel and have been since the end of the 93 manufacturing year.

Maybe have a look and see if the hoses are softening or if theres any odd residue on the fuel filter. I have my doubts there is an issue. However, recent information is conflicting.

Scotty