General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Ford Sues Navistar

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, Ford is getting what it deserves. Don't think I am a Ford basher either, I have owned two 7.3 PSDs and loved both trucks, even the quirky little problems they had. I would love to see Ford be a successful company with quality products.

Ford created most of the problems they have had with both engines. International sells basically the same engines in thier medium duty trucks and have far less problems. Ford's insistance on using thier own software and doing thier own tuning, instead of letting Navistar setup the engine for them has caused most of these problems. As stated before the VT365 (what International calls the 6.0) is not perfect, but does not have nearly the problems the 6.0 does. The T444E is a well respected engine in the medium duty world, and never had many of the problems the Ford version (7.3) had. Ford's unessesary desire to mess with these engines has created problems that don't even occur in the International versions. Ford needs to trust the supplier to give them a product that works and stop trying to mess with it.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's going to get ugly. I assume Navistar sells the engine with no warranty to Ford, just like Cummins does with DC. And now Ford wants Navistar to reimburse for warranty cost. Navistar wants to raise the selling price of the 6.4L to cover the warranty costs the Ford demands but Ford is balking at the price.
Guess Navistar may find another buyer for the 6.4L

MikeyB
Old 01-17-2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by fiveology
Well, Ford is getting what it deserves. Don't think I am a Ford basher either, I have owned two 7.3 PSDs and loved both trucks, even the quirky little problems they had. I would love to see Ford be a successful company with quality products.

Ford created most of the problems they have had with both engines. International sells basically the same engines in thier medium duty trucks and have far less problems. Ford's insistance on using thier own software and doing thier own tuning, instead of letting Navistar setup the engine for them has caused most of these problems. As stated before the VT365 (what International calls the 6.0) is not perfect, but does not have nearly the problems the 6.0 does. The T444E is a well respected engine in the medium duty world, and never had many of the problems the Ford version (7.3) had. Ford's unessesary desire to mess with these engines has created problems that don't even occur in the International versions. Ford needs to trust the supplier to give them a product that works and stop trying to mess with it.
Exactly International/Navistar produces well over 1 million engines per year. They are well known in the medium/heavy truck market for their low costs of operation and general reliability.

People hoping to get a CAT in their Fords... You are only going to be disappointed when you find out that, because Ford sells more light duty diesel trucks than Chevy & Dodge COMBINED, Cat does not have the means to increase their production by the amount required to fill Ford's needs.

Now as for a 6.034L Cummins out of a Case IH... It started as a 5.9; just list it as a bored 5.9 next time and that cures the flaming. I am an Ag mechanic and I work on these occasionally; most of the time though I am repairing DEERES!! I also find it hilarious when a Ford guy bashes our International/Farmall pullers; they all never knew that it's an IH engine under the hood of their beloved truck (which 90% is towing a friggin Deere)

As for the old 6.2/6.5 yes they had pump troubles but that wasn't their fault it was standadyne's problem. Mostly with the governor bands and serious leaks. We have an '82 C20 with a 6.2 and it's easily approaching the 300k mark; we've done pump work on it a few times, but we've replaced the transmission or TC on many more occasions. If you know what you're doing the old 6.2's can be given enough power to do something with them. It's easy, you just need a set of 81-82 C/K30HD heads with the bigger intake valves and a cam from an '83 C/K30HD which had a cam profile to match the earlier power outputs on the smaller intake valves (longer intake duration). Made our service truck good for 194hp/402ftlbs at the rear wheels....
Old 01-17-2007, 09:45 AM

hey we got a case loader at the rig and it seems to have a 12v with a rotary pump on it.But the thing is quite new.Is that right?Best loader ive ever driven by the way
Old 01-17-2007, 11:22 AM

My 0.02

If the majorty of the problems with the 6.0 is fords fault for demanding the motor to be cheaper and or programming it themselves, I don't see how the cat which is a good but expensive motor will go into the truck. Also with the lawsuit it might give ford a bad name with there suppliers to the point that they might be weary to sell to ford. It might be a Cummins Duramax world in the near future.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by kelownadiesel
hey we got a case loader at the rig and it seems to have a 12v with a rotary pump on it.But the thing is quite new.Is that right?Best loader ive ever driven by the way
Yes most industrial/ag applications of the 6B and 6BT had a rotory style injection pump. The pump is actually good for well over 200hp and is actually more responsive and more fuel efficient... I can't remember though whether or not it is a CAV or a Roosamaster pump. I know that case skid loaders use the CAV pump so I can only assume that your loader is going be the same.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 74dart
It might be a Cummins Duramax world in the near future.
Maybe so - but I bet Cummins will own Isuzu by then...