General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Ford owns Cummins! Get real..

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford owns Cummins! Get real..

Sorry for the rant ... But if I hear another Ford Hugger say that Ford owns Cummins, I think I'll go off on em! A friend of mine is looking at getting a truck/5th wheel combo for his (so called) Golden years. We were discussing
his options on truck brands, he's been looking at Fords, and had always been a die hard ford fan. Any how I made the comment on giving the Dodge Cummins a look when out of his mouth came those most ignorant words! Ford owns Cummin's... Well.... our discussion became an argument which later became a hundred dollar bet. He gets on the phone, and who does he call for proof??? Thats right, a ford salesman. What did the ford salesman say? Thats right, FORD OWNS CUMMINS!!!!
Well, I set down at my little computer and wrote the old Powertmaster@cummins.com a little e-mail.... in which he promply replied, and I wish I could attach the e-mail of those calming words of. Dear Mike, Ford does not own any portion of Cummins. In 1994, Ford purchased 10% share of Cummins stock. However, as of January 1997, Cummins purchased back all the original shares from Ford, therfore Ford no longer has any direct finacial connections with Cummins.
Should of seen my friends face when that email popped up, He looked over with that doe in the haeadlight look and said, I guess IOU a hunerd dollars. Yep, I guess u do! The e-mail went own to say if I wanted a Ford/Cummins combo rig I could look at the larger than one ton Fords. I think not. I happy with my Dodge Cummins Thank you.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:24 PM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d+owns+cummins

here's some more proof that'll shut him up too!
check it out all sort of good links you can print off and show him!
Old 03-22-2006, 04:38 PM

It just makes me laugh everytime I hear it.. seems odd that if Ford owned cummins, then Dodge wouldnt have em in thier trucks.
Scott
Old 03-22-2006, 04:46 PM

Hoss owns Cummins. Everybody knows that.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by rammtuff
Hoss owns Cummins. Everybody knows that.
oh dang it i forgot sorry about that
Old 03-23-2006, 08:25 AM

I had two seperate dealerships, a ford and a chevy dealership, tell me that Ford owns Cummins... I just shook my head and said whatever gets you through the day.

Hub
Old 03-23-2006, 09:32 AM

Co-worker

A BUDDY OF MINE THAT WORKS IN MY SHOP TOLD ME THE SAME THING. "FORD OWNS CUMMINGS"! . OF COURSE HE'S A FORD P/S GUY. IT LASTED FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS WHEN I FINIALLY BROUGHT HIM IN AN ARTICLE FROM AN OLD MOTOR TREND MAG. SAYING THAT CUMMINS HAD BOUGHT BACK THE STOCK.

ITS THE WORST UBAN LEGAND OUT THERE. I HAVE HEARD IT NOW FOR 10 YEARS. AND ITS ALWAYS FROM A FORD GUY.

BOB
Old 03-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Chapter President

I found something the other day on Cummins website, question and answer thing about the 5.9 and that was one of the questions, does ford own cummins? and they said, no, no nononnononnnnonononononononno!!! Good thing the way fords stock is going
Old 03-23-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive been workin on lots of 12valve dodges... advance timing and cam plate or so,....

most of all them tell me that ford owns cummins! so can i finnaly tell them certanly, that its NOT true?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 12valve
ive been workin on lots of 12valve dodges... advance timing and cam plate or so,....

most of all them tell me that ford owns cummins! so can i finnaly tell them certanly, that its NOT true?

Absolutely!!! Check the links above and print out any of the supporting documentation.

You would think common sense would prevail..... I guess not though, they did afterall buy a PowerJoke to begin with!

If (A) Ford owns Cummins, and (B) Cummins makes light diesel engines, then (C) Ford would put Cummins engines in all their trucks, not just the F650 & F750. Seems logical and cost effective to me, but I'm not a Ford owner so what do I know!?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:46 AM

I'll tell you what cracks me up. No matter how many times this thread gets started, and even though the majority of us know it's not true, it's quickly one of the most viewed ones in the forum. I carry around a copy of the print out from MSN money showing Cummin(g?)s ownership to shoot down the nay sayers. But unfortunately for some of them they still can't see (or accept?) the truth.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:50 PM

So, if Ford owns Cummins, ask them WHY does Dodge run them in thier trucks and Fords run a Power Joke?
Old 03-23-2006, 02:54 PM

I'll tell you why it's still out there. Because the news of Ford buying the stock was covered a lot more than the news of Cummins buying the stock back.
I read about Ford buying the stock in the paper. I didn't know about the buy back until I read this, and I read the paper every day.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:00 PM

A local Ford dealer must train its salesmen to mention this and other BS to all of its potential customers. I have had two salesmen tell me that Ford owns Cummins and that Dodge frames are weak. One salesman said that a Dodge would need to have the frame reinforced to handle a flatbed with a bale fork. A neighbor has a 94 Dodge with 250k or so, and he has not broken the frame yet, although he is very rough on it (relieves anger on his vehicles and machinery) and hauls 20,000+ lbs worth of hay with it quite a bit. He has broken everything but the frame and the engine (including an incident where the gooseneck hitch caved in while he was pulling an empty flatbed) , so if he did not have any frame issues, I think that everyone else is pretty safe. The NV4500 in his pickup lasted 180,000 miles and never lost 5th. The t-case went bad, and the tranny was also went through, although I do not think that there was anything wrong with it. The engine had a problem with the throttle lever, which I believe was a recall, and he had the valves adjusted and a plate put in at this time, which was maybe at 160,000 miles. unfortunately, the CAD system was very problematic until the dealership finally found out that an axleshaft was too short or something. This pickup is part of the reason that I own a Dodge!

Anyway, back to the dealership. One salesman told be that nobody buys Dodges, which is a load of crap, especially around here. He went on to say that they get Dodge diesels in on trade all of the time, but they ship them to Colorado, since they can't sell then around here.(yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh rrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhhhttt tt!!!!!!!) There is a Cummins sitting on the lot very rarely, because someone made a huge mistake, and they are sold right there, thus confirming the salesman's dishonesty. Then, of course, he pulled the Furd owns Cummings thing, and went on to say that Dodge would no longer be getting the Cummins, since they could not make a reliable tranny.

I guess that most dealerships can be thieves at times, but this one is the worst that I have ever seen. I know a few people who got screwed because they would not honor warranties. If you do not trade there every year, they could care less whether you exist.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Got news for ya.
I've been told by DODGE salesmen that Ford Owns Cummins..........

Quick Reply: Ford owns Cummins! Get real..