General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Fass II....fyi....imho

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a question on using the larger fuel lines. I have removed all the Banjo's from my lines and went to braided lines all the way from the tank to the VP44 with a carter high pressure pump in place for the LP, this keeps me at about 10-13 pounds all the time. Sorry for the long explanation, but I got to thinking, it takes alot more fuel to hold 13 pounds of pressure on these bigger lines than it would on the stock diameter of lines so if I wanted to keep the pressure more steady I could just go back to smaller diameter lines. Confusing but I don't know how to ask it any better. Am I right on this?
Old 07-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Muted User

Absolutly, think about putting 50 gallons of water through a fire hose compaired to a water hose with the same pump pushing the water.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Banned

So now to carry this one step further, shouldn't everyone increase sine size just help help the cooling action on the Injector pump. My next question here is, when I installed the fuel lines I was told I wouldn't gain anything by replacing the return line so I didn't and now I'm rethinking this. If I'm delivering 15 pounds of pressure through a larger line what is happening to all that pressure when the unused portion is routed through a smaller line. What's the backup gonna cause.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by N.Johnson
I,ve had the FASS II in for three weeks and do notice the whine of the pump. Kind of like it knowing it's working (no fuel guage). Yes the pump gets to hot to touch. What do you guys think about changing the 10 micron filter that came with the pump for a Fleetguard 3 micron filter? Think it will cause any flow/pressure restictions..... Anyone completely remove the stock pump/filter?
Assume you have the FASS I, since you refer to the 10 micron filter that came with it...or does the FASS II come with a filter???
On my FASS I, I replaced the 10 micron with a 3 micron Baldwin, in the approved filter list. Tested it a WOT and found no drop in Fuel Pressure and no loss of power...based on feel and boost at max power!

You do not need/want the lift pump or fuel filter housing in line with the FASS I...only with the baby FASS (FASS II).

The black pump part gets very hot...but I ran mine 15 hrs. non-stop from Dallas to Tucson on a 95* day and it purred along nicely so I assume that is nornal operating temp.

RJ
Old 07-14-2005, 05:17 AM

Sorry guess that's a mistake on my part FASSI/FASSII. When I mentioned removing the stock filter/lift pump I was wondering about how to plumb the return line to the tank from the injector pump and rail. My rig is a 03 common rail and the fass line runs direct to the cp3, totally bypasses the stock filter. Good to know the 3 micron filter doesn't effect pressure. I bought a fleetguard 3 micron filter from cummins. It is on the FASS approved list. I am ashamed how much I paid for this hydraulic oil filter!( says on the filter). Since my rig is still stock I,ve noticed very little change other than a little more seat of the pants above 2500 rpm,s. But I got the overpriced Fass for better filtration and pressure/volume.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:29 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by crobtex
This is an entry I made on another thread:

Dan gave me some rubber anti-vib pad. I installed a piece between the clamp ring bracket and the main bracket and between the clamp ring and the bracket and it did help quieten it down. Then, I put a piece between bed bolt and the bed, and that made a lot of difference. I can no longer hear it from inside the cab with the engine running.

I also have the larger line and fittings to go between the VP and the filter. Exactly what will this larger line buy me, besides a little more fuel pressure? Since the VP already regulates the pressure internally, a little more then the 16 psi I already have cruising should make no difference. Will the larger line allow more fuel at the same pressure?

Instead of anti vibe mat, how about some rubber isolators (one bolt down from the top and another up from the bottom rubber in the middle) you may be able to pick them up from a cummins onan distributor (stress on the onan part) these would be the rubber isolators they use to mount their small gen sets..... I don't have a part number on these though.....
Old 07-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Chapter President

Howdy WC'er, how's everything up north?

I've thought about the isolators, but it's been so flippin hot, I haven't been outside to do much of anything. I'll probably try them, along with another ground wire just for safty's sake.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:39 PM

Well noise is going to be more with the FASS II due to the direct bolting on the bed of the truck. These are gerotor pumps.....they are some what noisey. When bolted to the bed...it acts like a giant megaphone. I see that Crobtex got the Dynomat installed and good to see that that helped. The FASS I units dont have this prob due to being mounted on the frame. SO the resoniance is not as bad. I have a 150 GPH unit...one of the first FASS's units out before they had the 95 GPH option and i dont note my being that loud at all. I heard Crobtex FASS II and it was noisey...but just as much so as many others i have heard. I am glad that the insulation worked...i will be doing that on all other installs and will be talking to Brad about that.

I would suggest a fuel pressure gauge with the Fass units. They are working on resolving an issue, but the brushes in the motors have been somewhat troublesome. They have new updated caps that have rubber o-rings on them to resist backing out (this was a prob with some of the older units) and also to seal. They are also looking into a differant motor that will keep this issue from happening.

These are HEAVY DUTY motors! They will make heat! This is normal.

I feel that the extra line between the filter and pump is not so much for fuel delevery, but stabilization of fuel pressure. Its like having a air compressor with a 10 gal tank, and one with an 80 gal tank. You can run the 10 gal out real quick and has a hard time keeping up with the spikes in pressure drop. The 80 gal has a big reserve on which to draw off of. Though alot smaller in compairson, this would be my reasoning for enlargeing the lines.

Anyway.....im off my box.....
Old 07-15-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by crobtex
Howdy WC'er, how's everything up north?

I've thought about the isolators, but it's been so flippin hot, I haven't been outside to do much of anything. I'll probably try them, along with another ground wire just for safty's sake.
I sent you a pm, not sure if you got it as it doesn't show in my out box.....
Old 07-16-2005, 12:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my fass works great I only hear a hum just B4 i start it and i see 16 psi and 14 @WOT
Old 07-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Chapter President

Dan,
Thanks for the post and for the Dynomat. When it cools down a little outside, I'll put it under the whole bracket.

I did get the new line installed between the filter and the VP44. Instead of raising the pressure, it dropped about 1/2 psi to 16.5.

P.S. Don't forget to bring my spare brushes to Lewisville. I'll probably never need them, but it's better to have them then be stranded in the boonies.