General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Fass II....fyi....imho

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fass II....fyi....imho

My FASS II was installed two weeks ago yesterday. I have some pretty strong opinions on it and would like to share them with anyone considering buying a FASS II.

Installation: Tyler done most of mine, but even with my 2/3 wrench rating, I could have done it, but it would have taken much longer.

What I like: The constant fuel pressure. It has settled in idling at 17, cruising at 15/16, and is hard to pull it below 13/14.
It's suppose to last longer and be more dependable then the factory LP.

What I dislike: It is NOISY to the point of being ridiculous. I'm hard of hearing and tone deaf, and can still hear it inside the cab with the engine running. Standing outside, it's REALLY loud. I was told by the person I bought it from that putting a piece of rubber matting between the mounting bracket and the frame would quieten it down. Why wasn't this in the kit, or at least a suggestion in the instructions?
Loose nuts and bolts. After it was installed, I drove about 140 miles home. The next morning, I crawled under the truck and checked all the nuts and bolts to be sure they were still tight. I didn't crank down on them, but I know they were all snug. This morning I got back under there to recheck everything due to occasional drip of diesel. Much to my surprise, the two bolts holding the motor support bracket were both finger turning loose! The motor support clamp was not finger loose, but it took about 3 to 4 turns to tighten it back down. VIBRATION? I don't know, but I will definitely be checking them again in a week or so.
Leaks: When I got it home, there was a lot of fuel all over the tank and the axle. It was finally determined that it came from the old fuel line that was left in place. I cleaned it up and have seen no more fuel there.
Then, I started seeing fuel on the pump housing and a drip on the driveway every once in a while. I kept wiping it off and have just about determined it was coming from the outlet side of the pump. I was told by my supplier that Teflon tape should be placed on the threads. Again, I didn't find this in, or recommended by the instructions. Also, again, I'm sure this fitting was tight after the installation, but I was able to tighten it about one full turn today. I'll know tomorrow after I drive it if it is still leaking.

Warranty: Nowhere on the instructions or the warranty sheet is an address or phone number. How do you know where to send it? I googled FASS II and still couldn't find an address or phone number. I contacted my supplier and he called the number he had and got an address. I was not the address he thought it was, but it was an address. I mailed it today and just hope it gets to the right place.

Summary: If I knew what I know now, would I still buy the FASS II? I'm really not sure. I know I would go to an aftermarket pump, but I'm not real sure it would be the FASS II.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love mine! My fuel pressure @ idle is 21, 20 cruising, and WOT 16-17psi. As far as the nosie you experiencing, all I get is a quick buzz at start-up and thats it, the pump is quiet. As far as the fuel leaking and the teflon tape on the pipe threads, my instructions said to use it. For the warranty registration, on the bottom of my sheet it gave an address to mail it too, but I called them and faxed it over and then I mailed it also to make sure they got it. I wonder if you got one of the first FASS II kits??? But I'm very satisfied with mine.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Chapter President

I don't know if it's one of the first, but the serial number is 00540.

You gave me the type of info I'm looking for. I may have a bad unit.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by crobtex

You gave me the type of info I'm looking for. I may have a bad unit.
Cool!

Did you notice any fuel mileage increase with your FASS II, Crobtex?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Chapter President

I haven't checked it since I put it on. When I fill up this week I''l check it and let you know.
I'm not sure if I would know if it was the FASS. This tank now has Marvel Mystery Oil and the one before had Lucas. The truck does run better since I put the Lucas in, but not after the FASS.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:25 PM

With the fuel box, big injectors, BHAF, 4'in exhaust and the FASS, this ole Cummins just keeps getting better and better. Runs, Idles, Starts better then when I first got it a year ago. I had about 9,000 pounds of trailer and dirt behind it today and broke the tires loose in 1st gear to get her moving up this hill on my street. I had a lot weight on the tongue, but who knows?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:16 AM

crobtex,
I installed my FASS II around the end of last year. Since then I have gone almost 10K miles with it, which included our move here to SD from AK where I had almost 5K pounds in the bed and towed our 8x12 trailer with two snowmobiles, firewood, and xtra fuel on it. Temp extremes of -20* to +90* so far since the install, no complaints.
When I installed it I did use teflon tape on the in/out fittings of the pump, but started the tape about 4 or 5 threads up from the innermost part of the fittings....so the tape is not inside the pump too far.
I left most of the stock fuel line attached to the frame....it leaked a little fuel, but I never noticed any drips.
There are two different pumps out there....the 95gph, and the 150gph which is supposed to be quite a bit louder. I hear the initial buzz when I turn the key, but after startup I can really only hear it standing next to it, or standing in the bed. I have'nt checked any bolts, but I will now (mine is the 95gph unit).
Fuel pressure (not the original spring) 18.5 idle, 16-17 cruising at 65mph, 14 minimum @ WOT with TST on level 6. Mark at DPP sent me a newer upgraded spring a couple weeks after I was running the original.....pressures then were 12/10/8.
The FASS / FASSII comes from DPP http://www.dieselpp.com/ and my instuctions were exactly the same as what's on the website. Also, I seem to remember the address of where to send the warranty form was on the actual page that you fill out and return. I can get you where I sent it.
Couple other things I did different....did not use the quick connect at the tank pickup tube...just pushed the hose over it & used two hoseclamps. Also I made up a -6an line to go from the filter housing to the VP44 with a fuel pressure port in it, so no more banjo's.
Hope you're all still awake, and that this answered some ???
Old 06-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Chapter President

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm a little paranoid about the noise, but it sure is loud.

How hot does your pump motor get? Mines gets so hot it would probably blister your hand.

I'm probably going to pick up the kit that goes to the VP 44 this week. No sence in putting in a high dollar pump and then restricting it.

CR
Old 06-22-2005, 02:05 PM

Not sure how hot it gets....never checked.
That extra line is easy to make unless you know of where to get one already done.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:03 PM

I,ve had the FASS II in for three weeks and do notice the whine of the pump. Kind of like it knowing it's working (no fuel guage). Yes the pump gets to hot to touch. What do you guys think about changing the 10 micron filter that came with the pump for a Fleetguard 3 micron filter? Think it will cause any flow/pressure restictions. The reason I went the fass route was piece of mind. Did a trip up a 6% grade, 1/4 tank of fuel and I swear the engine stumbled. Talked to Pier's and they recommended the FASS. Anyone completely remove the stock pump/filter?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:06 PM

you are supposed to remove the stock pump when you install the FASS. it should have a way to bypass the stock one in the kit.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:30 AM

Yeah, the stock LP is no longer needed once the FASSII is installed. There is no bypass, the line just goes from the FASSII to your stock filter housing.
Some guys have added aftermarket filters, but if you plan on doing that, why don't you just get the regular FASS that comes with the filter & h2o sep.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Chapter President

This is an entry I made on another thread:

Dan gave me some rubber anti-vib pad. I installed a piece between the clamp ring bracket and the main bracket and between the clamp ring and the bracket and it did help quieten it down. Then, I put a piece between bed bolt and the bed, and that made a lot of difference. I can no longer hear it from inside the cab with the engine running.

I also have the larger line and fittings to go between the VP and the filter. Exactly what will this larger line buy me, besides a little more fuel pressure? Since the VP already regulates the pressure internally, a little more then the 16 psi I already have cruising should make no difference. Will the larger line allow more fuel at the same pressure?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:40 PM

The bolts just dont loosen up on there own.
You should be putting 35 ft lbs on the 3/8" bolts.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:21 PM

not sure what type of nuts come with the kit, but i install every bolt with nyloc nuts and also use loctite on those whom i cannot use a nyloc.

Quick Reply: Fass II....fyi....imho