General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Extended warranties??? Who has tried them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended warranties??? Who has tried them?

Has any one tryed any after market warranty companies such as AA Auto warranty or Warranty Direct? Do they cover everything they say they will or do they try to get out of paying everything? Let me know what you guys think because im thinking about getting one for my 06 cummins for $2300 for a full coverage warranty. i figure if it covers my tranny rebuild that will soon be needed that it will pay for itself any still have 3 years left of coverage.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tried till it said doesnt cover commercial vehicles
Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM

Are those companies still going to be in business in 3 or 4 more years? Problem I see right now with buying one of those warranties is the instability of the market and probably good odds some of these companies are going under.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:52 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by snoyes
Are those companies still going to be in business in 3 or 4 more years? Problem I see right now with buying one of those warranties is the instability of the market and probably good odds some of these companies are going under.
very good point! that would concern me as well
Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 PM

Repeat after me..." there is no such thing as a free lunch"

Those companies have a million clauses to get out of paying to fix your truck..
One is that they will NOT pay a claim on any vehicle that has been modified
or tampered with in any way outside of stock .. Most also say that they will not pay for any "pre existing condition" "pre existing" will be by their definition. Not yours.... They all also have a waiting period before you can file your first claim...
Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An extended warrenty is a gamble. You're betting the truck will break. They're betting it won't. How big of a gamble are you willing to take?

From the factory the truck carries a three year 36K mile bumper to bumper, and a 100K engine from Cummins. (At least, mine does). So an extended warrenty covers periods after that.

Generally speaking, the dealership makes a huge profit off these warrenties, that's why they push them so hard. But, if you can get them for a good deal, it might be worth it.

By reading this board, you can bet that the ball joints will probably go bad, and the transmission could go bad. Both at less than 100K miles. What do those repairs cost? And what other repairs can be expected? Turbo? Differential? Transfer case? Drive shaft bearings? What will those cost?

When I bought my truck, it was 21 months old, and had 26K miles. Just getting broken in. Still another year on the Bumper to Bumper. The dealership wanted $12,000 for an extended warrenty. Yes, I said $12,000. I told them for that much money, I should get a spare Dakota to tow around in case I need it. I got them down to $1200 for a 6 year 100K mile Bumper to Bumper. Not too bad. They way I plan on driving this truck, I'll hit 6 years before I hit 100K.

It's another insurance policy. Think of it like health insurance. Small things you'll take care of. But big things, it's nice to have no budgetary considerations when something goes bad. Like a transmission.

Of course, if you mod the truck, it would probably be a waste of money.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by .boB
The dealership wanted $12,000 for an extended warrenty. Yes, I said $12,000.
That sounds like Colorado Springs Dodge (formerly known as Carlin). I bought my 7yr/84K mi warranty from Perkins for $1230, even though I bought the truck from Carlin. When the service manager asked me why, I told him my one experience with the mechanics at Carlin taught me they weren't capable of fixing a lawnmower. From what I've heard, it's only gotten worse since they changed ownership in '07.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mysteryman
Repeat after me..." there is no such thing as a free lunch"

Those companies have a million clauses to get out of paying to fix your truck..
One is that they will NOT pay a claim on any vehicle that has been modified
or tampered with in any way outside of stock .. Most also say that they will not pay for any "pre existing condition" "pre existing" will be by their definition. Not yours.... They all also have a waiting period before you can file your first claim...
exactly! there covering there butt.I had tranny go out once and had a extended warr. and there fine print got them out of the bill and I was stuck with it.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 AM

I got burned on an extended warranty a few years back. The company went bankrupt. Now, seeing as to how much profit is made, I won't purchase any anything where an extended is NOT offered. Why? I suspect warranty companies structure themselves to service these agreements as little as possible. If you want a good warranty, buy the OE shop manual, good tools, or set some loot aside.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned

thanks . I dont think im gonna go with the warranty . Dont want to take the risk.