General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Duramax Vs. Cummins for mileage and some other Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duramax Vs. Cummins for mileage and some other Q's

Been reading many forums on the Internet.

From your experience, is the Duramax more fuel efficient than the current 610 Cummins? Does the Duramax get better "everage gas Mileage than the Cummins"

what about 06' and beyond, will all the emmisions systems cut the mileage we will get, and does adding a 6th gear to the tranny make up for the emmissions stuff?

one more, do EGT's and CAT reduce mileage? and if so, does an older engine get better mileage than newer ones?

what the scoop on the 06' engine, do you think it will be better than the 610?

thanks

trout
Old 06-23-2005, 07:30 PM

been in this business for more years than i like to admit. i have never understood with emissions one burns more fuel per mile and burns cleaner. it doesnt compute. 1968 when it started in my area. lost 4 mpg per car over previous year. supposed to be cleaner. u aint going to convince this old man that the powers that be " epa" know what they are talking about. they need to answer to someone but they dont.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything that I've ever heard has stated that the Duramax gets really bad mileage compared to the Cummins when towing... I have no first hand experience and I don't really understand why, except for the facts that Duramaxes have more cylinders, are slightly larger engines and are, of course, stinky Japanese alumna-engines.

Originally posted by jughead
been in this business for more years than i like to admit. i have never understood with emissions one burns more fuel per mile and burns cleaner. it doesnt compute. 1968 when it started in my area. lost 4 mpg per car over previous year. supposed to be cleaner. u aint going to convince this old man that the powers that be " epa" know what they are talking about. they need to answer to someone but they dont.

It makes sense... They are reducing the power of the engine through timing, catalytic converters and other such nonsense; that improves emissions, but requires more fuel to do the same job.

We can get more power by blowing black smoke all over the place... That both reduces fuel mileage and increases emissions.

It makes perfect sense.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:58 PM

From what im told the empty mileage of the current cummins and dmax are bout the same. 3 of the friends that have dmaxes get 15-18 on the highway, I have a reflashed 600 and im told its 610 software, I get 17-mid 20s on highway, only side by side i can offer was a 04 dmax and my truck, both ran 60 from Mason City to des moines, In iowa, bout 200 miles, Both are quad cab short bed 4x4. dmax got 18.2 hand calc and the dodge got 19.8. no smug factor as we were both watchin each other ( and i was payin to fill the tanks,) Only thing we couldnt agree on was his truck clocked an extra 23 miles on the same exact route than mine did,, both are stock through and through. Ive heard gm can be off a ways on their speedos. but at the same time we both drove 60 and he never went slower or outran me. and mine is gps certified haha.

On a towing note, on the same trip back we pickked up 2 trailers, I had bought 2 enclosed trailers, identical trailers, , both had a mfg weight of 2100 lbs and the dmax got 12.3 on the way back and the ram got 15.4

Im not sayin this is always the case, , Ive read stories of both brands doing a lot better and a lot worse.

As far as the epa thinger. Basically what they are doing is needing a hotter burn to get rid of some of the pollutants that the diesel puts out. This gives us a more power. But to get that hotter burn you need more fuel, and better injection for burn control. But then to get hot enough to get rid of polutant one you end up getting polutant number 2, Which is then solved by the cats. I have all the data in a book around here somewhere. Ill be back
Old 06-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Banned

I don't know about the 610 cummins but I know mine gets 20mpg and my moms 03 Dmax gets 16 at best on the same trip.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:09 AM

My brand new 05 Cummins has been getting 16.5 around town, about 12.5 towing my 5000 lb trailer (19 foot).
A chap I work with has an 05 Durmax, extended cab, short box and autoloader. He is getting 15.5 around town, won't fess up to towing his 30 footer.

Ed