General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Duramax Story

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 11:29 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Please no one be angry because it doesnt seem I am standing behind my Mighty Cummins! I really love this engine, so much that I will probably not sell it for many many years and only to buy another, BUT yes I truely have heard bad things about the "old" Cummins engines. Not so much realiability wise but just simple lack of power to do anything. I can also back this too because I rode in an old Cummins Dodge. Man, talk about LOUD and it didnt move tooooooo fast either! That doesnt mean there was anyother better diesel either. And at about that time frame all pickup truck and car diesels seemed pretty lame. All I'm saying is I havent really heard any bad talk about the Duramax or the Power Stroke anywhere except this site and I suppose that is to be expected. I just dont think they are the junk everyone is trying to make them to be. I believe the Cummins to be a far better built engine but that still doesnt mean everyone else who doesnt have one is a fool. There is a thing out there called personal preference. This is what makes the world go around. And thats what drives companies like Cummins to strive for a better engine.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:46 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got to jump in here and agree with "doom and "cummins" on this subject. I have a '93 as well as my '04 and when I got the '93 I was really happy with the power and the mileage. I had an '83 gasser before that and no matter what I did the mileage sucked and it was gutless! I've pulled loads with the '93 that were likely to get me in trouble if I got stopped and it has always managed to do it. The 5.9 was around for a long time before it found a new life in Dodge trucks and it has proven to be a very fine engine. To say the old ones had a "lack of power" is just fueling this current horsepower race we see with Chevy and Ford. Even the "old"ones pulled better than any gasser I've had. And they get about 60% better mileage doing it!

Wetspirit
Old 12-16-2004, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Juice, I think you are nearing the thresh hold of starting your injector problems. I know the 02's and 03's started about that mileage. The service life is 150,000 to 200,000 miles, and they mean it too. Hope you bought the extended warrenty!!!
Old 12-16-2004, 02:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Hemi Cat
Got Juice, I think you are nearing the thresh hold of starting your injector problems. I know the 02's and 03's started about that mileage. The service life is 150,000 to 200,000 miles, and they mean it too. Hope you bought the extended warrenty!!!
HC.. funny you mention that. My brother's truck is 17 days older than mine and has had 2 injects replaced.
We have similar mileage but i run the snot out of mine towing.... use more fuel, use more addative etc. (so i should have problems before him logically.. we use the same addative Stanadyne... fuel up at the same bulk station etc)

My balance rates are spot on perfect.
Extended warranty i did not buy. Engine and electronics and anything engine related is covered until 100,000 miles, and injector warranty is now covered by GM until 260,000 KMS

Me worried? No.

While there are some design differences between the DMX and CTD inject, Same scenario.
Lots of pressure, smaller injection orifices, tighter clearances + dirt and vapour cavitation = Injector Death.

I don't have all the answeres, for either problem. I do my best research and try to play the hand dealt to me.
Having said that, the LLY DMX is.... intriguing.... If I had to buy another, right here and now, CTD would be the safest bet. The LLY owners are Btching about fuel economy.... which is what i bought the diesel for in the first place.

I personally know the owners of 3 CTD trucks now with injector problems. And i sure am not gloating about it. I would feel the same way. of the 3 trucks one is getting all 6 @ 15K Miles, the other 2 trucks are on their 2nd and 3rd go around with the 'lets replace injects singly and see if the problem goes away game from the dealer'.
I do think (pretty sure) that Delphi, and Isuzu have an edge over the CTD for diagnosing problems on the truck.

These are fantastic vehicles, the CTD and DMX.... make no mistake, But the injection system in a diesel engine is everything to do with longevity, power, and life servicability (TBO)
IF/When something happens to the fuel system in any of these trucks... it is big $$$$

CTD owners got it over us on one point for sure. Aftermarket turbo availability.... 6 instead of 8 injectors (and why are 6 CTD injects worth the same as 8 DMX injects?)

Just thinking out loud.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:29 AM

KATOOM, go to thedieselstop.com that will answer your questions about why people say the 6.0 is a POS. Ask some people on there and they will verify.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Barry Smith
KATOOM, go to thedieselstop.com that will answer your questions about why people say the 6.0 is a POS. Ask some people on there and they will verify.
Yeah lots of problems over there. But that it just the poeple with problems , but who ever makes a poste and tells you that their truck is really running great with no problems?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:25 PM

cummins66 there was some bad talk about the cummins and still is today and that talk would be about the 98.5 model year when cummins went with the vp44 fuel pump and had problems with it until 03 when they went the common rail.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:25 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally posted by Wetspirit
I've got to jump in here and agree with "doom and "cummins" on this subject. I have a '93 as well as my '04 and when I got the '93 I was really happy with the power and the mileage. I had an '83 gasser before that and no matter what I did the mileage sucked and it was gutless! I've pulled loads with the '93 that were likely to get me in trouble if I got stopped and it has always managed to do it. The 5.9 was around for a long time before it found a new life in Dodge trucks and it has proven to be a very fine engine. To say the old ones had a "lack of power" is just fueling this current horsepower race we see with Chevy and Ford. Even the "old"ones pulled better than any gasser I've had. And they get about 60% better mileage doing it!

Wetspirit
'93?!!! Thats OLD? If thats old then man I have an old GMC parked a side my barn that last time I looked had them new fangled style rubber tires.
No I mean OLDER. I cant say how old, I just hear the words "OLD" from whomever feels the need to say Cummins engines were gutless in the past. I cant even say what year the one I rode in was either, but I'm sure nothing from the '90's era. Hey I really like Cummins, and GM has always been one of my favorites in the past and I really dont like Fords, but that doesnt mean they suck! I'm sure all the guys from those other DMX and PS sites read about all the endless stuff us CTD guys have to deal with and say "Man these DMX/PS diesels rule!".
So please stop trying to convince me CTD is superior. I already agree with you.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Jambbii
Yeah lots of problems over there. But that it just the poeple with problems , but who ever makes a poste and tells you that their truck is really running great with no problems?
You know I thought that then I thought about all those fleet trucks that people just drive for work and don't care if they're broke or not so they aren't going to post about them?
Old 12-18-2004, 01:29 AM

My take: all stock 12v dodges feel like dogs to me, the quickest and fastest truck I have used for towing was my 77 GMC with a 454 - hauling a 24ft 5th wheel I rarely had to use the secondaries, of couse in the process it got 6mpg towing and 10 around town. The 7.3 powerstroke is a good engine in a nice beefy truck - my dad has an early 99 with 133,000 miles and it has been worked hard, still looks and runs like new. Duramax - I owned an '01 2500 4x4 ext cab with Allison, nice truck, ran 14.74 @96 with some mods, and got 21 mpg on freeway runs. It did not have heavy enough suspension for a work truck, and did have one bad injector replaced. I sold it for something with cheaper payments. I bought my Dodge because of the Cummins engine, not because I'm a Dodge fan. If I needed a real crew cab I would have bought a 7.3 ps, you couldn't give me a 6leaker