General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

duramax story

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duramax story

my old man went back to tennesse this week and he got to barstow calif. and he burnt up the injector wiring harness luckely they dealership got him going again and is on the road. i was giving him a ration of crap b/c it was the second time it has done it to him. ole' faithfull cummins wouldnt do that now would it. i told him he needs to carry and extra set of injector wires with him like and old car car carries an extra set of points.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:01 PM

sounds like they need a better design......
Old 03-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Banned

sounds like the idiot dealer needs to actually read the TSB.

It didnt "burn up the injector harness" so to speak. There is a small area where the passenger side bank injector wires are wire-tied to the alternator bracket. The bracket has kind of a sharp edge, so it can sometimes wear thru and cause problems. How to fix this problem? Take 5 minutes and put some heater hose around the harness in that small area so it protects the harness from chaffing.

The truck will still drive with that wiring harness chaffed thru, just in limp mode.

small wiring issues can happen to ANY truck. Snip one tiny wire on a CR cummins and you will have the same exact problems.

see the picture below for where the harness rubs
Attached Thumbnails duramax story-injector-harness.jpg  
Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking at how they cram those engines in to their trucks helps remind me why I bought the Cummins.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Banned

try working on a powerstroke, if you think my engine looks hard to work on.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by duratothemax
try working on a powerstroke, if you think my engine looks hard to work on.
Helped pull a 6.0, but just like a D-Max it looked intimidating but it actually wasn't that bad. A body lift or just lifting the body a few inches for the engine removal helps alot reguardless of the brand. (yes even a dodge) If you've ever seen someone who works on a D-Max on a regular basis they can have the engine on the ground in no time, it's quite impressive.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
If you've ever seen someone who works on a D-Max on a regular basis they can have the engine on the ground in no time, it's quite impressive.
I believe 'ya...any time you get that much practice at doin' somthing you ougtta' get real good at it!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ouch! I was thinking the same thing when I read that but I wasn't going to say it...

Old 03-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Did they take the front end apart to fix that chafed wire? It really is just like a Ford huh!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I shouldn't dignify this with a reply, but it sounds like a simple probelm with a simple fix, that was brought to dealer attention with a TSB. Hardly earth shattering news or smoking gun for a poor design. Given a choice, I would drive a Cummins every time, since I am familiar with them. I wouldn't be afraid to drive a Duramax, since most I have had contact with run really well and GM seems to stand behind them. Other than a 7.3 (and even that isn't desired), I would not drive a Ford PowerStroke of my own, and the owner of the truck I am driving better have triple-A.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by new2ctd
Did they take the front end apart to fix that chafed wire? It really is just like a Ford huh!
no. they (me) took the front end apart to fix a deer. note the bent up fender and tweaked core support
Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 PM

DURA, ever work on the 4500 Chevys?... the dealer techs have "H" working on them. And WHY oh WHY did they put that fuel filter base in such an impossible spot on the 4500's???... That was just stupid!. When I take mine in to the dealership for a PM, they(the techhs) beg me not to order a fuel filter change.. I've never seen the 2500/3500 engine bay, I've heard the filter base is mounted in a more accessable area.?????
Old 03-08-2007, 11:08 AM

The fuel filter on my buddy's '01 is behind the passenger side fender liner.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by JSPulliam21
The fuel filter on my buddy's '01 is behind the passenger side fender liner.
Many have said that they can change it from the top, without removing the battery, but I can't. So I remove the wheel well liner to change it. The job from start to finish takes 8-10 minutes. Which isn't to bad! But it could be better. As my secondary fuel filter is where the extra Alternator would be, and I can change it in 2 minutes. (Plus bleeding the line on both filters of course!)
Old 03-09-2007, 10:06 AM

Change the fuel filter like I used to on my old Corvette. I put a door in each plastic wheel well liner fastened in with DZUS type fasteners. Just take door off, reach in and take filter out! Makes it real nice to get to either side of the engine in a snap. Just try changing a plug or injector on a rear cylinder in a Corvette!!

Quick Reply: duramax story