General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Duramax Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats sweet anyone who spends the time on a conversion deserves props.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 PM

What a POS !!!

I had 3 Toyotas and 1 Lexus and I don't understand why people loves them so much, all 4 were junk.

I am at my 5th CTD and I will get more.

Coincidence ? Odds ? Weird ? You name it, but I stick with what I trust.
The Duramax, on the other side has a good review in my "garage".
Old 12-07-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by bkrukow
I showed that to my wife and she abought went nutz. She loved it. I gota admit I would drive it. I think it looks prety sweet. I like things like that, that no one else would have. I fiond it kinda comical that on this site if someone post pics of there truck with "bling" wheels and shiney trinkets its sweet but the second someting other than a Dodge truck is posted with shiney stuff its to "bling bling" for everyones taste.
Good points. People frequently seem to criticise what they can't afford.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Chapter President

Me, I think that thing is uglier than a mud fence.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by bkrukow
I showed that to my wife and she abought went nutz. She loved it. I gota admit I would drive it. I think it looks prety sweet. I like things like that, that no one else would have. .
This is America - you're more than welcome to drive something like this.

I fiond it kinda comical that on this site if someone post pics of there truck with "bling" wheels and shiney trinkets its sweet but the second someting other than a Dodge truck is posted with shiney stuff its to "bling bling" for everyones taste

I've owned far more veichles than Dodge trucks, including Toyotas and BMW's. I just personally don't care for what's termed "bling" meaning, what is to me, an excess of chrome or high-gloss metallic parts. What you choose to drive is your choice. I don't care - and I don't care what others think about what I drive.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by bnold
I'd dive it!

Me too I was thinking into Lake Tahoe
Old 12-07-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
{snip} The true moron is the guy with the camper doing 20mph slower than traffic, with the illusion he's being "safe" while in actuality he's the road hazard. The safest speed is the average speed that the majority of traffic is flowing, and people who are speeding tend to be paying more attention than those day dreaming slowly. If you feel that the "average speed" is too much for you to handle, do everyone else a favor and stick to the back roads. {snip}
I'll have to beg to differ with your generalization in this case. If the guy running below the average (usually above limit) speed in the right lane is still above the legal minimum speed and he/she's driving at a safe speed for their rig, why would you to say that they are a moron and should take the back roads? I will agree with you that speed differential is a safety factor but IMHO, the person running 10+ over to keep up with traffic is as big or a bigger safety risk than the person running under average but within the legal posted limits and within the handling capabilities of their rig.

The safest speed is the average speed that the majority of traffic is flowing {snip}
That is generally true UNTIL something unexpected happens.

I tow a 35' travel trailer and I can and sometimes do push it up to 70 mph where legally posted and where traffic conditions permit (very light traffic) but much more of the time, I'll cut it back to 55-60 mph in the right lane on the 4-lane highway and take my time and increase my safety factor because I KNOW that I can't stop that rig in the same distance that the truck can stop by itself. I don't consider that moronic behavior.

Just my
Old 12-07-2007, 01:53 PM

What is so inherently dangerous about towing that fast? We have semi's "towing" 90k+ lbs at 70-75mph daily, running hundreds of thousands of miles a year without incident. The true moron is the guy with the camper doing 20mph slower than traffic, with the illusion he's being "safe" while in actuality he's the road hazard. The safest speed is the average speed that the majority of traffic is flowing, and people who are speeding tend to be paying more attention than those day dreaming slowly. If you feel that the "average speed" is too much for you to handle, do everyone else a favor and stick to the back roads. Also that vehicle is rated for 6500lb towing capacity, so if you think that extra 500lbs on a trailer is a big safety issue you don't have a clue.
Well said....
Old 12-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Valv
What a POS !!!

I had 3 Toyotas and 1 Lexus and I don't understand why people loves them so much, all 4 were junk.

I am at my 5th CTD and I will get more.

Coincidence ? Odds ? Weird ? You name it, but I stick with what I trust.
The Duramax, on the other side has a good review in my "garage".
I dont think I would ever drive that; cool idea I guess but....why?

we've seemed to have good luck with toyotas on the other hand...my mom has had 2 LS400s and now has an LS430. The 1992 LS400 we traded in at ~219,000 miles, never had one problem. The 1995 LS400 had 226,000 miles when we traded it in (I think, somewhere around there), that cars brakes ALWAYS squealed and the brakes always seemed a little funny, but other than that it ran like a top. The one she has now is a 2005 LS430, 89,000 miles (neither me or my dad can figure out how she puts so many miles on cars ), and has been good so far. I just did the brakes on it, original brakes lasted 85,000, but they were worn down so far it destroyed the electric pad wear sensors.

Ive heard of the V6 and smaller lexus's having some problems, and some problems with the 4.6 V8 in the tundra/LX470/Land Cruiser, but the Aisin tranny/4.3 liter Lexus V8 (I think its a 3UZ-FE) is a great powertrain IMHO.

Ben
Old 12-07-2007, 11:36 PM

Just sold my step dads 1997 LX450 with inline 6 for $6000 with 230,000miles No issues whatsoever

Just sold my 85 toyota pickup with 270,000 on the original 22r... $3500

GREAT vehicles!!
Old 12-08-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by bnold
Just sold my step dads 1997 LX450 with inline 6 for $6000 with 230,000miles No issues whatsoever

Just sold my 85 toyota pickup with 270,000 on the original 22r... $3500

GREAT vehicles!!

bnold - what sort of mileage could he get out of this LX 450 (I-6 Land Cruiser)...I've seen several of them around for very cheap leately and have had little dreams of picking one up for some off-roading and winter use. Then again, I understood from some they get about 12mpg on a good day. Is that true? Thanks - sorry to hijack thread...
Old 12-08-2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Valv
What a POS !!!

I'd roll it. right off a cliff HAR HAR HAR! not really.

that plaftorm is actually great offroad. throw some different wheels and tires on it and a few other changes and you have a great expedition rig.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:39 AM

Engine sure looks cramped in there. Good for some, don't like the wheels. Reminds of the black H2 I saw that was lowered on 24's.

The true moron is the guy with the camper doing 20mph slower than traffic, with the illusion he's being "safe" while in actuality he's the road hazard. The safest speed is the average speed that the majority of traffic is flowing, and people who are speeding tend to be paying more attention than those day dreaming slowly.
I disagree. Drivers who are actually going the speed limit aren't the threat. It may be aggravating to come up behind one but you can't say it's dangerous. Maybe you come from a trucker background so it's different when you have to control that much weight but most of the time truckers are going slower anyway.

Towing with a Lexus SUV doing 85 mph is plain dangerous. Not towing and driving 85 mph is dangerous.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:39 AM
Chapter President

I don't think the wheels are that "blingy". I worked at a caddy dealer and man did I see some "blingy" wheels. If those 20's on the lexus were wrapped in rubber bands I'd think more "bling" but it has good size conforming tires. If they were spinners......"bling bling".

If I could afford it....and repairs, I'd drive it or let the wife drive it to tote kiddies. I'd bet it would get way better mileage with her behind the wheel though.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
bnold - what sort of mileage could he get out of this LX 450 (I-6 Land Cruiser)...I've seen several of them around for very cheap leately and have had little dreams of picking one up for some off-roading and winter use. Then again, I understood from some they get about 12mpg on a good day. Is that true? Thanks - sorry to hijack thread...
mpg wasn't great around 13-16.... find one with factory lockers front and rear! it rocked off road.... one of the few equipped lx 450s that actually went offroad some

Quick Reply: Duramax Lexus