General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Dually Drivers- do other people always try to pass you thinking you are slow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meh who cares if they try and pass u...i dont like being behind a mack truck either (the equivalent in our world).. they pay the price when i cut them during rush hour and change lane to lane...they definitely "yield"...make some faces but YIELD haha....so its fair in the end
Old 01-25-2005, 12:59 AM

I must be a friend to all cars as I get the #1 sign all the time. Got a waving one from a female while cruising in snow slop. haha must be the sign of the times LOL

betnwings
Old 01-25-2005, 07:54 AM

I’m usually passing them! I have a small but heavy foot.
Lane changes are no problem those little cars get scared off when they see that big thing coming over.
When I pull the RV, they try to get around even if I’m running the speed limit or over. I think it’s because they can’t see. No big deal about them passing I just hate it when they get around and pull in right in front of me. They just don’t get what it takes to stop all that weight.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:19 AM

Only if they can catch me.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:39 PM

now if I still had my old truck no one would be passing me

The new 3rd Gens are nice, but my 95 will always hold a special place in my heart. I could beat anyone off the line and stay ahead

These 3rd gens just don't have the get up and go...
Old 01-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Banned

What I hate, is when your doing 70 pulling a trailer in a 55 zone with cruise set and some jerk has to wind up his little rubber band and pass you, then get in front of you and slow down. (that edit me off) Now, I have to pass him with a trailer!

edit:
Use of symbols to post content that would not be allowed by the word filter.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by signature600
A trucker that hauls for us some has a general rule about turn signals:

Three flashes and I'm coming over!

And from the little I've followed him, he ain't kiddin'!

Chris
I do the same. Big truck or the dually.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:13 AM

I have noticed, the bigger the vehicle, the more stupid people get driving around it. I think it has to do with gravitational mass or something

Last night im trying to come off the off ramp and this red f150 starts to slow down so i speed up to merge. then they speed up and so i back off and then so do they. finally they start moving over and are halfway across the line so im like running out of ramp and they come back over!!?! This point im outta room and time so i nail it and pass them half in the lane and half in the shoulder. might have kicked up some snowy debris. anyhow then i see them start to come flying up and before they are too close (but are close enough) i stab my brakes a little to tell them to backoff. works then they come up beside me and i think they were all giving me the one finger wave which i politely return. then i let em eat my dust. jerks.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:02 AM

The people that get me... the ones that come flying up to cut in front of you or other people. I was driving along the other day and I saw a car come flying up on the right side and noticed a gap between me and the car in front was just big enough for the car, so I speed up some to close the gap. But of course that didn't slow the guy any from trying to squeeze in... so I floored it and drove along side his door half in my lane and half in the median.

He got the idea and got back over in his lane. But not with the driver telling me I'm #1 and his passenged doing the same... twice.

Tailgaiting is another reason I want lights on this truck... I was driving in my Dakota (head lights, stock driving lights, aftermarket driving/fog lights and 4 KCs) and while I wasn't too far behind a guy doing 25 in a 40 (no place to pass) I wasn't exactly very far back either. Then he decided to slam on his brakes, at which point I decided to slam on my lights. A Dakota with 9"s of lift on 35's puts the beams right through their back glass... as he found out and weaved all over the road until he decided to speed up.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:23 PM

I agree with all of the above posts. The thing that gets me the most is when I'm in the fast lane in heavy traffic and the ricers try to pass on the right and squeeze in ahead of me. I usually like to leave a few car lengths between me and the car ahead when everybody is going 75 to 80. But these guys just seem to have to try and get ahead. What I end up doing is speeding up to close the spot and then backing off once they fall back in behind me.

Anybody else notice that they never seem to be able to see the cars in the slow lane? I see the person pull right to pass and ask myself where does this guy think he's going to go?? On the other note, I try to never tailgate tractor trailers after talking to one driver who had a retread come off and go through the windshield of the car that was tailgating him. Of course the people in that car were killed when it happened. I know my truck sits up fairly high but better safe than sorry, or dead.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is just to many people on the road with no common sense.I think there is a bunch of reasons for the stupidity.I swear some people are running their own Trans Am race.Others are,everybody will lookout for me,or hit me and I'll sue,and the "I have power".How many times have you seen some jerk pull out in front of a truck picking up speed going down hill and you know they saw you or it comming.I think the one I see the most is the outside lane to off ramp at a right angle trick.I had it happen to me one day,a young lady cut across in front of me and made the ramp,but had her arm out the window giving me the #1 sign and yelling to tell me what part of the body she thought I most resembled.It just warmed my heart to help her.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ever have the ego people get offended that you passed their 55 mph running mustang with a 60 mph driving dually? How many times I have casually driven on by, just to hear a loud downshift and the sports car blast past me, only return to 55 in front. ***!?!? I also don't know what is up with parking my truck -- I purposely park in no-man's-land with room all around me. Invariably, someone not only joins me out there, but parks so close I can't even open the doors all the way to load my groceries or whatever into the cab. Sometimes I have to climb in from a different side!! Only thing I can figure is that the lesser vehicles want to get as close to my beast for protection, and like most inferior objects, they wind up being more of an annoyance and in the way. Naturally, the dominant one attacks them to protect his space, and the close offender gets a few new scars!
Old 01-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
They're just hoping the "Class" might rub off onto their wimp-mobile.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by jiMMyCTD
i thinks its the fact they cant see around you as well. but the slowness is also there. jiMMy
I would agree with that statement, plus I have seen some of them with no mudflaps!
Old 01-30-2005, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gasitman
I would agree with that statement, plus I have seen some of them with no mudflaps!
Good point -- I don't have flaps on mine yet.

Quick Reply: Dually Drivers- do other people always try to pass you thinking you are slow?