General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Dually Drivers- do other people always try to pass you thinking you are slow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dually Drivers- do other people always try to pass you thinking you are slow?

Everytime somebody pulls in behind me (Dually)- they almost always "break their neck" trying to pass me no matter how fast I go. What's the deal? Do people in general automatically associate a Dually with driving sloooow? Most people under-estimate a Diesel- if we had to, we could literally run hours and hours and hours at 100mph + if we had too- where as a gas burner would blow up.......

Does this ever happen to you?
Old 01-23-2005, 02:36 PM

i thinks its the fact they cant see around you as well. but the slowness is also there. jiMMy
Old 01-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yep. If they're being difficult they get a sootin'.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:38 PM

I rarely have anyone running fast enough to come up behind me. If they do I just ease over to the edge and let them see by me unless they tailgate to long and then all you have to do is ease the dual off the road and they will back off!
Old 01-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I love it when I'm 1st at a light on a two lane road that changes to a 1 lane just past the intersection, and a Yuppie-Mobile pulls along side in the disappearing lane thinking he/she will pass me before their lane runs out 'cuz I'm driving a "Big, Slow, Noisy, Smokey, Diesel truck".

Surprise!!!!!! C-Ya
Old 01-23-2005, 04:21 PM

Everyday! My biggest pet peeve is people swerving beind me when we are stuck in traffic on the freeway trying to see around me as if I would be driving that slow on purpose. A little puff or ten of black smoke tends to put an end to hat though!
Old 01-23-2005, 04:38 PM

I dont know bout you guys but dually drivers round my house are hardly ever doin the speed limit or take up half the road on the backroads. Ive been in the ditch before because one idiot in his brand spankin new ferd didnt wanna get it dirty by gettin over. Hes lucky id rather ditched my truck than ripped off his mirrors and fenders.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, my dually feels like a go-kart compared to what I drive all day, so I don't have any trouble staying in my lane. I have noticed that when I let friends and relatives try it out (widest thing they ever drove) they have difficulty with it. I'd guess that most people with a dually have the same problem - I see a lot of them with damaged fenders and scuffed tires.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:29 PM

It's not even a dually thing. All of our trucks are huge and hard to see around. I get the same thing and it is funny when they think they are going to pass you before their lane ends but their little car doesn't have enough to get by you..
I love this truck!!!!!!

Now if I just had a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle bit more power............................................. ..
Old 01-23-2005, 05:43 PM

If there passing you, you are going to slow

When I had my 99 Dually, no matter how fast I went they just had to get around me. And I don't drive slow. Even old ladies would pick the pace up.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:54 PM

I love it when I'm 1st at a light on a two lane road that changes to a 1 lane just past the intersection, and a Yuppie-Mobile pulls along side in the disappearing lane thinking he/she will pass me before their lane runs out 'cuz I'm driving a "Big, Slow, Noisy, Smokey, Diesel truck".
Yep. Happens to me quite a bit. Anymore though, I'll let him pass. I'm getting too old to play these "games". With the traffic we have around here, too much chance of someone getting hurt.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:26 PM

I was going to post something similar a few weeks ago.

I think its a psychological thing. I, too, have noticed that no matter how fast a big truck goes some people think they just have to go around them. They see a big truck and automatically think its going slow so they do whatever speed it takes to get around... and normally you end up passing them a few miles down the road anyway.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:37 PM

And they go wide around me, especialy the rice rockest.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:18 PM
DPG

Me, too. And it's usually uphill on a curve with the double yellow. Here in Leelanau County we have about 3 passing zones. Everything else is a hill or a curve. A couple of times if I hadn't backed off and let the idiot in, it would have been their very last pass attempt. Candidates for the Darwin Award, for sure. And I always drive at least the speed limit, conditions permitting. (Not a lot over, you understand!)

DeWain
Old 01-23-2005, 07:30 PM

Yeah, if it wasn't for the innocent victim coming the other way, I'd just let them have their head-on.

Tad

Quick Reply: Dually Drivers- do other people always try to pass you thinking you are slow?