General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

is a dodge diesel in my future?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile is a dodge diesel in my future?

I Have been thinking about getting dodge ram 2500 with a Cummins turbo diesel for a while now. I mean I think it is a great truck, but my parents say that a truck like this is only meant for people who tow lots or people who are business owners or trades people. That is true I guess but I see allot of guys out there with Cummins powered dodge ram 2500's and they just use them as there daily driver. My parents also told me that parts for diesel powered trucks can be quite expensive to replace if they break down. If someone could give me there opinions or thoughts on this matter it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

Listen to your parents they will always be smarter than you.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:49 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How old are you rick?

Parts can indeed get very expensive on a diesel powered truck, regular maintenance may end up being a little more than a gasser too.

I would defer to listening to your parents. We are all not business owners or trades people (though, a LOT are) there are definitely people here who just use them as a daily driver.

Get a Honda. Better on fuel and still last a good long time.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

Welcome to the site. JD, is right to a certain extent.If you want it as a daily driver so be it. Mine is a daily driver,I don't haul or tow. It is expensive at times.If you have your mind set on a Cummins then go for it. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Banned

Well I was kiddin before but I personally love drivin bigger trucks there fun in many ways, however they are more exspensive in many ways and can be inpractical. But they are many days you will enjoy havin a truck for example when you move or put in a yard being able just to toss something in the bed and go is very nice.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:57 PM

I got the truck you want and it's mostly just a personal vehicle. I do haul my 20 ft. bassboat with it and believe me it will haul that boat. But, I'm 57 years old and I'm not wealthy by no means but it doesn't strain my budget at all. A young person that buys a little less than he can afford to buy will have a lot more in years to come. good luck to you.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Voldog
I got the truck you want and it's mostly just a personal vehicle. I do haul my 20 ft. bassboat with it and believe me it will haul that boat. But, I'm 57 years old and I'm not wealthy by no means but it doesn't strain my budget at all. A young person that buys a little less than he can afford to buy will have a lot more in years to come. good luck to you.
Ya this is very good advice I wanted a brand new truck when I was 18 and my dad begged me not to do it, well he happen to own a 96 ps and sold it to me for 6k.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want a truck to keep for along time, get a cummins. But if your relying on your parents to fund it as a truck to get to school and what not, you might want something alittle more 'first truck practical' like a toyota 4x4 with a 22re turbo, those are still fun, I had one as my first truck and couldn't have asked for a better daily driver/off roader. But if your getting a fullsize truck, dodge cummins is the way of the wise.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:06 AM

I consulted the 'Magic 8 ball' and a diesel is not in your future, sorry.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Banned

If your not towing but still think you need a truck get a hemi, a newer one that is make sure it has MDS or you will be filling up every 2nd day.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Banned

Rick - If you're young, and don't have a real use for it, not only is it a waste of money, but after some time you may be resentful to that truck for wasting your money. I love my truck, but don't use it much except when it is making me money. That's part of what I love about it.

But my daily driver is about as cheap of a vehicle as you can get. A low TCO (total cost of ownership) is something that I find important for a daily driver.

Now I'm not saying go for a cheapie econobox, because they're not particularly fun. Go for something in between. Something that won't cost you an arm and an ****, but something that's not too boring either.

I can think of many that fit that. Scian tC, xB, Tacoma, a well used Hemi Ram (although I wouldn't have that gas hog). Heck I even have a lot of respect for 4 cylinder Rangers.

If you're young, no wife, no children, no need for a truck, I think the tC or G6 is going to be an all-around good vehicle. Later on, you may run into a reason to need a truck. And then there'll be no good reason to buy anything but a Cummins Ram.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:41 PM

I got a early 91 Dodge diesel when I was 15. I wish I would have waited to get what I really wanted (same thing but wanted a stick/4x4). I got a great deal on the truck, and it got great mileage til I began playing with it. My advice would be do NOT jump on the first thing you look at unless you are 100% positive. You will be sinking lots of money it trying to get it like you want it. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want a diesel and you can pay for it get it!! Everytime you are at a stop light and you see a diesel you will wish you had one, and you will never be happy until you get one.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 PM

A dodge diesel is the best purchase you'll make and you will never need anything bigger I went threw 3 dodges and always wanted more I wish I would have bought my truck a long time ago. Also you can think about the long run it will last you forever,and those hemi trucks are gas hogs. Good luck and if you get one it will hold it's value better then any gas truck.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:21 PM

ricky,

Ben Franklin was credited with a method to analyze situations like this. He took a piece of paper and put a line from the top to the bottom right in the middle of the page. Then struck a line across the top. Kinda looks like a big cross!

On one side he write down all the positive things he could think of about the problem he was trying to solve.

On the other side of the line he'd write all the negative things.

Then he'd evaluate them all together. He didn't tally the number of items on each side, but the importance of each listing and it's ability to solve the question.

A good tool to use in many areas of life.

I've got 4 trucks for my personal uses. When I'm just running errands or picking up small items I use a Dodge Dakota. Plenty of head, butt and shoulder room, gets 22 (or so) MPG and repairs are nearly zilch and it has 247,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: is a dodge diesel in my future?