General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Dodge auto tranny's

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had nothing but a good experience with the Alli in my '02. Sold it with just under 100k mi last week and it was still tight. Was driven with a 90hp tune since 30k mi......but not beat on, and well maintained.
I'd get an Allison 1000 equipped truck anytime.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems the only problems I hear of are self inflicted wounds.. I dont expect any stock tranny to hold with any added power and a loaded trailer.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:11 PM

Most of the dodge trannys we get in at the shop (not just trucks) are all results of the torques falling apart.. A604s are good for that.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:30 PM

Wow, I posted over a year ago on the first page, and guess what. Still on the same transmission!

Eric
Old 10-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
My neighbor had his get stuck in park at a car wash (while I was working there so I saw this happen), and the trans lever just flopped around and never locked in place.?
the shifter cable fell off? No computer malfunction can cause the trans to not come out of park.

the early allison problems were with the NSBU switch (the shifter position switch on the side of the transmission). When this fails the trans goes into limp mode and it defaults to 3rd gear or reverse. This is probably most of the allison problems, and when you see people post "my dealer has had 37 broken allisons in the past week, they are junk", I guarantee that 36 of those cases were a failed 50$ NSBU switch.

ben
Old 10-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
Wow, I posted over a year ago on the first page, and guess what. Still on the same transmission!

Eric
I would hope so, seeing as yours is built and has billet hard parts.....

ben
Old 10-08-2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by duratothemax
I would hope so, seeing as yours is built and has billet hard parts.....

ben
Its only partially built. Converter, billet input, and valve body are the non stock parts. Everything else is stock dodge with at least 90k miles on it. Plus my truck is putting down over double the factory flywheel horsepower at the rear wheels. A lot more than this transmission was intended to handle.

Eric
Old 10-08-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
true........been there done that cost me a lil over 5 grand
Old 10-08-2008, 03:49 PM

I sell transmission parts for a living, and sell about 1/2 the number of allison kits vs. the 48RE. On that note, I think alot more of the 48RE's are used and abused.

Aaron
Old 10-08-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by duratothemax
um you sure about that one? Ever rebuilt an allison? Or just assuming because the 48re is based on 40 year old technology and the allison is new tech?

most auto's (ford dodge gm) will last plenty long if the engine is kept stock. There will always be bad apples out there/factory defects etc... For every "well my brothers friend had a dodge tranny crap out..." story theres always "well my uncles sisters ford tranny slips badly" and "my allison just blew up" stories to go along with it.

ben
"um, yes I am sure about that one". Yes the 48re is based off the 40 year old 727, but any mechanical device that has less moving parts and less parts to break, will be more reliable than the others. For example, this is why the 5.9 is a much more reliable design then its competitors, it's simple and has less parts. It is interesting though how the original poster has never replied back to the topic.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 92'1stGen
"um, yes I am sure about that one". Yes the 48re is based off the 40 year old 727, but any mechanical device that has less moving parts and less parts to break, will be more reliable than the others. For example, this is why the 5.9 is a much more reliable design then its competitors, it's simple and has less parts. It is interesting though how the original poster has never replied back to the topic.
Less parts does NOT equal more reliable. Less parts just means less failure points. A duramax could be 6 cylinders, and a cummins could be 8 cylinders. If the cummins is over built and the duramax is built with parts that have a factor of safety less than one, does that mean the duramax is more reliable?

Just wanted to point that out, not bashing either engine or transmission.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
Less parts does NOT equal more reliable. Less parts just means less failure points. A duramax could be 6 cylinders, and a cummins could be 8 cylinders. If the cummins is over built and the duramax is built with parts that have a factor of safety less than one, does that mean the duramax is more reliable?

Just wanted to point that out, not bashing either engine or transmission.
Yes design contributes, but history has shown us, less parts and a simplier design make a more reliable peice. Yes the 48re has it's draw backs as well as the Allison too, but the 48re still has a lower failure rate than an Allison. But if the Cummins had a 8 cylinders and the Duramax had 6, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Just wanted to point that out
Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Banned

"um, yes I am sure about that one".
I think you are wrong. There are no one-way clutchs, sprags, overrunner things, apply levers, and band doo-hickys in an allison. An allison is dirt simple mechanically. Electronically it as impossibly complicated labyrinth, but as far as mechanical parts, with the allison, you dont know what you are talking about.

ben
Old 10-08-2008, 08:59 PM

Yes the 48re has it's draw backs as well as the Allison too, but the 48re still has a lower failure rate than an Allison.
Ignoring the fact this thread is a year old, I'm still gonna ask:

Where are you getting this info from? Not trying to come off argumentative and I'm certainly not a GM/Allison fanboy but from what I understand it's an excellent transmission?

Curiosity only, I swear...
Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=92'1stGen;2236532] Yes the 48re has it's draw backs as well as the Allison too, but the 48re still has a lower failure rate than an Allison.

I have a personal friend that owns a local independent trans shop who built my 47re.
He has seen many more 48s than allys run thru his shop in both stock and modded trucks.
Locally there is no way we have more modded dodges than chevs so I think your statement may not be 100% accurate.
He showed me the different internals between the two and the ally hands down is a beefier tranny.
I have yet to see the new dodge 6 speed apart but it's sure nice to drive.

Quick Reply: Dodge auto tranny's