General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Dmax encounter...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Dmax encounter...

On my way to go training I had this black Dmax 4x2 3/4 ton ziggin and zaggin to catch up to me in traffic. I wasn't sure it was a Duramax til he was passing me...

LOL

Well, he thought he was passing me.

As soon as we turned onto the highway I could see him coming up fast. I wanted to wait and see if it was a Dmax, it was so I hit WOT in 6th at 65 mph, I actually caught up with him before his back bumper passed the driver door. He had gauges and was leaning over his steering wheel like he was trying to get the truck going faster. I stayed beside him looking at him and he would not look over, so I hit the throttle again and left him stuck on his speed limiter. I slowed up again to give him another chance at being stomped by a 3500 4x4 dually weighing 9000 pounds with all the gear but he had a problem with that and I noticed a big puff of black but he was unable to pass me.

I tried to get his attention and see what he was running for power but he had tunnelbeatenbad vision.

All I am running is a Ramifier and stock turbo right now so I was happy with what the truck did.

I am guessing here but I think there was at least a 2500 pound difference in the trucks.
I have the air hitch near 300, me near 300, passenger strongman at 300, etc etc. fuel tank, Road Armor front and back, subs...
This dang stinky ole diesel did good.

Scotty
Old 05-01-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beat a Cougar with my little stock Jetta TDI. I assure you he didn't get passed willingly.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:33 PM

dont forget you were in there too scotty
Old 05-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by upersleder
dont forget you were in there too scotty
Yes, LOL I put that...me near 300

Its nice to be below 300 pounds again...working on getting to 265...lighter, faster and stronger.

Need more halibut for the George Foreman Grill.

Old 05-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its funny how those V-8 boys don't understand Torque...

I schooled a Dmax a while ago on that topic, I really hope he had his "Attitude" set to 1.... Or he will be lookin for a refund...LOL..

If it wasn't for a squeek from the clutch I would have had more to offer..
Old 05-03-2005, 01:43 AM

Did you have Hugo Girard in the passanger seat?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ahh, there is nothing like providing some education to all the non-CTD (and non-believers ) out there!
Old 05-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Chapter President

The further the difference in model years just puts salt in the wounds...

What did GM offer in 97???? Still can't beat the CTD today...
Old 05-03-2005, 04:16 PM

it's funny, i have a ton of buddies that will tell me over and over that any power choke and d max will beat me hands down, no matter what mods i have.
i haven't tried to race one yet, but i will given the chance.
a friend of mine had a 04 6 litre F250, and said that his truck had way more power then mine, but he took mine out and stomped on it stone cold.i told him that when it warms up it will move way better then it did, and that i never beat on my truck when it is stone cold.
anyway, i like hearing the stories about the others getting beaten, would just like to compare apples tp apple some time.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:42 PM

i haven't run into anything that has beat me yet in the last two years except a subaru wrx sti[the 300 hp version]. it had some work done to it but the guy who owned it was cool. we ran from 50 to 115 or so. he jumped me by 2 lenghts on the start but that was it. i stayed with him all the way to 115. we did it again from 60 to 120 or so and it was the same thing. he pulled the 2 lenghts and i held him after the jump to 120 or so. then we both let off, i ended up pulling beside him at a light farther down the road. he rolled down his window and yelled over that that is one fast truck. not bad for a dually 4x4 ex cab with 259k on it.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:04 AM

i hope to meet up with a few of yourselves, on the road, it could be refreshing and shocking for some
Old 05-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Chapter President

Originally posted by fredw
i hope to meet up with a few of yourselves, on the road, it could be refreshing and shocking for some

Fred, you are the special case. I would say you are in the 1% range.

However if you did notice at your dyno event in Calgary, v-8's with near 450hp just had the torque of a 350hp Cummins. On the rolling accelleration, that will make a difference.

You and GotJuice? are the exception to the rule..

J-eh
Old 05-05-2005, 10:34 AM

I agree with Jason

Rolling pulls, torque will walk all over you.

I've suprised many a high performance car on the highway with a stab of the pedal only to have them back off because they couldn't get by.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by Ripper406
Did you have Hugo Girard in the passanger seat?
Nope, he has his own Ram diesel.

I had one of the newest athletes in the sport with me. Scott Cummine.
He is doing very well and making some scarey gains.

Scotty
Old 05-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by fredw
I fully expected to get schooled since he was so agressive at catching up to me and had the gauges. So far I have not come across a strongly BOMBed dmax here...its only a matter of time before my 9,000 pound truck gets whooped by something at least a ton lighter.

Stacking a Ramifier with a BD dloader is showing great performance...next is the turbo or turbos, injectors and cam.
Maybe I will toss out the 300 pound 5th wheel hitch, the slip tank, become anorexic, toss the subs and amps and the back seat. That would account for over 1/2 a ton.

Quick Reply: Dmax encounter...