General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

direct relationship between horsepower and torque

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hohn....I heard you can drink home made bio diesel. Any takers???

Lets see... it's 7 miles around the local walking path so that's 43 laps on one gallon. I get about 1 lap per quart of clear water so 28 miles per gallon. Not bad on free stuff . I wish my truck could do the same.

Maybe bio diesel would be like hi test and I could run all the way around
Maybe it provide a "jet propelled "effect from the rear end.

What's going to happen on Sat afternoons when diesel gets to $3 a gallon. We'll all have way too much time on our hands.

bentwings
Old 07-10-2005, 01:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I filled up on 2.33 fuel and went to the auction to pick up cars destined for Montgomery in the driving rain. I collected a couple of load fees and my customer told me, "go home" So that is just what I did, came home dropped the trailer, picked up some gas for just in case for the generator. Doubtful we will get much here in Birmingham area, but there was flooding in the area.

Now it is calm and warm and dry, its coming. Radio says Gulf Shores is gettng 45 mph winds, so it is on its way. It all depends on the track of the storm and how much it builds up, it is back to a 3 hurricane, they say it may make a 4. I have everything I need here and not going anywhere til it is over. The last time I ran through it, slept in a parking lot where a transformer blew up, causing me to purchase new underware.

My parrot has been spooky all day, they do that, in the wild they would fly away.

Generally we only get 50 mph winds and a lot of rain this far north. Interesting on the highways, every third car is a local Alabama plate, the rest are Florida and Mobile County cars. Not a one of them has a clue of how to drive No one is particularly worried about it here, Walmart still had food. Forcast show flurries and they are cleand out.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:29 AM

CrashCade,
If we used linear induction electric motors to tow our trailers with, we would be using horsepower with no torque. Moving a load at speed requires horsepower. How we make that horsepower can be with torque such as in our application, thrust if you use a jet engine on your truck or, induction such as a linear induction motor. You can use gravity if you only travel downhill! We use torque. Torque can be a static measurement such as torquing your lug nuts. 140ft/lbs of torque with no movement unless you go ahead and wring the lug nuts off. With our engines torque is measured at useful rpm. The speed at which we apply our torque is expressed as horsepower. Horsepower is usually associated with gas engines and torque with diesels because of advertising. My Hemi makes 345hp while the Cummins makes 325hp. We don't run at peak hp unless we're crawling up a grade on our knees so those hp numbers are about useless. The high torque at low rpm of the Cummins gives it the hp advantage over the entire useful rpm range. Take it's 610ft/lbs, multiply it be any rpm and devide by 5252. The Cummins makes more hp than the Hemi because of it's higher torque output.
Torque is the twisting force. The more the better. How fast you apply that twisting force is expressed as horsepower. Or, 610ft/lbs at 1800rpm if horsepower is a four letter word in your house.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:48 AM

The 325hp 610 Cummins makes about 230hp at 2,000rpm. More than enough to tow a good sized trailer through headwinds and rolling hills 70mph in O/D.
The 345hp Hemi makes a measily 123hp at 2,000rpm. Not enough power to do much work at all. Diesel fans love their torque and with good reason. So many don't really understand why. That's why...

I've owned diesels for over 21yrs. They're great. I traded for the Hemi because I got a bad case of driveline vibration in my '03 and got very gun shy about an '05 with DC dragging their feet on a cure. It does the job and feels alive doing it. It's a nice change. But in a couple of years I'll likely be back in a Cummins powered Ram. It might even be another '01.5 or '02 but with a 6spd and 3.55 ratio. Those were my favorite.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:52 AM

now im confused. i cant even remember how much wood a woodchuck can chuck.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by HURA1
now im confused. i cant even remember how much wood a woodchuck can chuck.
I am stuck on Peter Piper and his pickled peppers and just what is a peck
Old 07-10-2005, 12:01 PM

If Shelly sells seashells by the seashore, how many seashells will Shelly sell before the seashore becomes Shelly's seaside Birmingham resort!
Dennis the menace is almost onshore