General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel Rabbit Truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesel Rabbit Truck

Well I thought you all would get a kick out of this. My buddy just went to pick up a load of gravel for project at home with his rabbit truck. The weight of the truck and him on the scale was 2560lbs. He then loaded 1400lbs of gravel into the bed. So thats just shy of 2 tons Combine. It made it home. Hopefully nothing broke.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was he able to open and shut the doors on the cab? The Rabbit PU unibody flexes under heavy load and the doors don't work right.

K.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:58 PM

I love those little trucks!!!! Man if I would have known what I know now the Diesel Rabbit that we had would have been the greatest sleeper around. That thing would fly and got 56mpg doing it.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:02 PM

I just sold mine after I got my Dodge. It was a nice little truck, but after getting used to the Cummins, the VW with its 52 HP engine would need to downshift to get out of a piece of chewing gum.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:44 AM

We dynoed a buddy of mine's Stock Rabbit...46hp, 68ft lb! He's got it torn down doing some body work on it now, and we have a turbo to put on it when he gets that done! We're shooting for 100hp!

Chris
Old 10-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Speaking if Rabbit trucks, what a co-incedence (sp?)

Just yesterday, I drove down a street that I haven't been to in years. I have a BIL who's dad got one of these Rabbit trucks. His daughter married a guy who claimed to be a carpenter, who built houses. He was asked to build a carport for the rabbit truck. He was told to build one that the truck could park under. (sometimes you gotta be careful what you wish for)

He did. But it seems he measured the truck height, added about 3 inches for clearence and that was how tall it was. It was actually shorter than the door on the garage. It was one of those things you gotts to see to beleive.

I drove down this street, and the low level carport was still there. I remember it was low enough, the shingles were below eye level. Not to mention it was a flat roof and he used shingles.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by charliez
Speaking if Rabbit trucks, what a co-incedence (sp?)

Just yesterday, I drove down a street that I haven't been to in years. I have a BIL who's dad got one of these Rabbit trucks. His daughter married a guy who claimed to be a carpenter, who built houses. He was asked to build a carport for the rabbit truck. He was told to build one that the truck could park under. (sometimes you gotta be careful what you wish for)

He did. But it seems he measured the truck height, added about 3 inches for clearence and that was how tall it was. It was actually shorter than the door on the garage. It was one of those things you gotts to see to beleive.

I drove down this street, and the low level carport was still there. I remember it was low enough, the shingles were below eye level. Not to mention it was a flat roof and he used shingles.
Carpenter huh? Moron sounds more like it. Can you post a picture of the carport cause I need a good laugh this morning.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have any pics.

Another story. I was on my way to a hunting trip with my BIL. His dad, the carport owner wanted to go. We went to his house early to get him and he's usually up, but all the lights were out. We went in the house, he wasn't there, we ducked under the carport an went on into the crazy door, and found the lights off in his garage and he was crouched down behind some junk. Turns out he was cleaning his shotgun, it went off, blew a hole in the washing machine, and moments later, he heard a siren. He thought the cops were coming to get him so he hid.

The same guy would also chew alot, and he'd use a coffee can spitoon. He put the lid back on and set it full can up on a shelf. One day he noticed tobacco plants had grown up in all of them.