General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel History 101 - Diesel History 1952

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel History 101 - Diesel History 1952

Good morning, class.

Today I had planned to show you all a PSA entitled, "Stand Up Straight!: A Curvey Spine is the Devil's Rollercoaster." but the school cousulor has missplaced it. Instead we will watch this picture show from SHELL about the history of the diesel engine...

1952 The Story of the Diesel Engine Part 1 of 2

Hey, you in the back of the class! Wake up! Its time for reel two of the picture show...

1952 The Story of the Diesel Engine Part 2 of 2

How ya'll enjoyed.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Chapter President

That was awesome to watch. Thanks for posting. For those of you who watch the hole thing, I can't help but think of my VP44 as a "JERK TYPE" injection pump.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
x2
Thanks for posting. That was interesting.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:24 PM

Enjoyed that. Good find. Thanks for posting. Now that I've got it downloaded I can watch it when ever I need a good history lesson.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:56 PM

great vids

Aren't ya'll glad the dudes name was Diesel,...we all coulda been driving a Smith or a Johnson all these years. Holler at the misses on the phone,...."Baby,..you bedder stop and get some johnson on the way home" LOL
Old 11-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by OneBigDoofus
great vids

Aren't ya'll glad the dudes name was Diesel,...we all coulda been driving a Smith or a Johnson all these years. Holler at the misses on the phone,...."Baby,..you bedder stop and get some johnson on the way home" LOL

I have been thinking of making my own biojohnson

I drive a CTJ

Ohhhh the smell of johnson in the morning!!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:36 PM
JRD

Johnson is down to 2.37 a gallon here in AZ! All joking aside that was an interesting 18 minutes. Weird I was talking about one of those compression pistons with the tinder on the end just this morning and how it was kind of like a diesel (or Johnson) engine.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I liked the Otto & Langen atmospheric engine footage, you don't see that often. It was interesting that they credited Beau de Rochas for the 4 stroke cycle. It's pretty well accepted these days that Otto was unaware of de Rochas' pamphlet when he developed his 4 stroke engine. They were careful to point out that the hot bulb engines operate on an entirely different principle from the Diesel, though.

Neat find, thanks for sharing it.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:53 PM

Thanks,

Well worth the watch.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:08 PM

That was a cool vid! THanks for posting...

Hey guys... In keeping with the "vintage" diesel history theme, I actually found an old Cummins in some pictures over on Forbes' Stationary-Engine.UK site.

An early in-line 4 cyl Cummins. Definitely not a 4BT!
http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/P...tland08173.htm
http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/P...tland08174.htm

Here's an old Ruston "oil" engine representing some of the earliest talked about in the video.
http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/A...um/Anson13.htm

Here's a Youtube video of a Fairbanks-Morse Type Y hotbulb "oil" engine being started... Talk about preheat delay!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzwWm...eature=related

Here's a 50kw 2-stroke F-M genset being started on compressed air.
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52612
My dad told of when he was a boy on the farm, he and his cousin Billy would ride their bikes down to Uncle Walter's cotton gin early in the morning JUST to watch the startup of the big old 2cyl Fairbanks-Morse hotbulb oil engine. They would look for those huge smoke rings to shoot up into the sky when it started to catch.

There's so much more but this is enough for now...
An engine-nut could spend many hours looking at these old masterpieces of diesel engine design. I know,... I just did.

K.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 PM

Really cool, engines have come along way, I bet those engineers would be impressed by our new common rail amplified injection fuel system of the DD15.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:10 AM

Wanna,
maybe I'm wrong in my understanding but it seams the indirect injection diesel is very similar to the hot bulb engine in that in both engines the fuel is sprayed into a pre combustion chamber. Only on the indirect engines ( at least oliver ones ) they called them energy cells. The energy cells would 'hold' heat, making for a smoother quieter engine, but harder to start in the winter. I'm not trying to nit pick Wanna, I just thought, WOW, the principle of that sounds like an early version of the indirect injection diesel when I saw the explanation of the hot bulb engine. Maybe my knowledge is so limited that my understanding is wrong, I don't know.

DuaneW.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
That was great! Thanks for posting it. I love that kind of stuff.

Kurt
Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool............
Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DuaneWKKC
Wanna,
maybe I'm wrong in my understanding but it seams the indirect injection diesel is very similar to the hot bulb engine in that in both engines the fuel is sprayed into a pre combustion chamber. Only on the indirect engines ( at least oliver ones ) they called them energy cells. The energy cells would 'hold' heat, making for a smoother quieter engine, but harder to start in the winter. I'm not trying to nit pick Wanna, I just thought, WOW, the principle of that sounds like an early version of the indirect injection diesel when I saw the explanation of the hot bulb engine. Maybe my knowledge is so limited that my understanding is wrong, I don't know.

DuaneW.
They are very similar, but they work on different principles. Hot bulb engines are low compression engines that rely on the high surface temperatures in the hot bulb to ignite the fuel. IDI diesel engines are high compression engines that use the heat of compression to ignite the fuel.

A hot bulb engine that's left to idle needs an external heat source (usually the same flame used to get it started) on the hot bulb or it will die because the bulb gets too cold. An IDI diesel generates plenty of heat from compression and will idle until the fuel supply runs out.

Quick Reply: Diesel History 101 - Diesel History 1952